1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Charles Barkley vs Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HoustonTexas, Feb 11, 2015.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Charles did enough to throw himself under the bus there.

2. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

I totally agree with you. For all you Morey haters yall can GTFO.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Cause Barkley was really ballin at prom time vs Morey right? lol

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/93nFIlyLe44" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Screw Chuck. He's gradually gotten on my nerves over the years, and I'm at the point where I consider him nothing more than a journeyman Rocket we signed for peanuts.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We need to send all those articles and stats to KENNY, otherwise no one else on the panel will bring it up.

5. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

this is ' heypartner' 's idol. I'm not sure how you have this idiot as you're idol.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Pretty much.

You can say what you want about analytics but the point is, it doesn't hurt.

The reason it is growing is because most owners are smart and think efficiently. Numbers is something they can trust when presented to them.

"Draft this guy here because X+X=y" sounds a lot better than "Draft this guy...because I said so." sounds crazy in comparison.

Of course anyone that relies too heavily on it will be burned.

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Charles was calling the Rockets the worst defensive team, which was way off base. He deserved to be called out by a guy with a personal stake in it.

8. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Color me shocked that Charles doesn't believe in statistics, I mean the guy only lost $30+ million gambling in Vegas, don't tell him the odds, because they're just numbers. I mean, the MIT blackjack team were just engineering nerds who couldn't get laid in high school, so they invented a way to get into the game, right?

Chuck obviously made himself look like a complete idiot; he really decided to pick the Spurs and the Miami Heat as his two teams that don't use analytics? The two teams that pretty much made obsolete the way that he and Shaq used to play? If I was making a sarcastic post here I don't think I could have chosen two better teams to make my point that analytic-driven teams can't win titles.

Here's the thing, though, lots of people have called out Shaq, Kenny and Chuck before on twitter; JaVale McGee and T-Mac are two off the top of my head, and for the most part they amiably laugh it off. The way that Barkley reacted to the Morey jab was a lot more pointed. I really don't doubt that he was asked by the studio to tone down the accusations that the Rockets stole money from him, and that it's badly colored his commentary this year.

1 person likes this.
  9. BullsFan123

BullsFan123 Member

Bavetta vs. Chuck needs to turn into Morey vs. Chuck this weekend. Get me in a ring! lol

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

That corner three pointer though

[​IMG]

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It was pointed and personal.

To Charles credits, this isn't the first time he's bashed analytics. I remember watching that show...

Forget what it is called, but they have all those TNT/NBATV guys sitting around in a roundtable discussion like setting and discussing topics. This came up and Charles was the first to bash it then (again using the Rockets as example) funnily enough Isiah Thomas of all people was quick to jump on the bash train.

So this is a lot personal than some expect it, it's about jobs. If Charles is looking for a GM job though, he's not helping himself agreeing with Isiah Thomas.

Although man, I like IT as a studio guy. He's at least fair and doesn't seem to carry any biases against teams.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i realize that morey's intent is to correct false statements being disseminated publicly about the team. but in this case, arguing with an idiot like barkley is just no use. an idiot like barkley will just drag him down to his level and then beat him with experience.

13. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

I disagree here. Morey gave barkley something to bite on and he did. BTW Idiot can't drag a smarter guy.

14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

You should shut up now.

15. rustyrob

rustyrob Member

Its common knowledge for anyone who watches TNT that Charles would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have Morey job! He has expressed more than a few times he wants to be a GM! All that talking about "Guys that ain't ever played" sounds like sour grapes to me.

16. Remii

Remii Member

Morey only sent out one tweet right...?

Nothing wrong with that because everyone knows that Barkley is just a clown jester and Morey was just pointing it out.

17. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

His act has grown old, **** Barkley. I'm tired of him attacking us any way he can. Classic bully with sand in his clit still stuck from the 90's. Good over it and call the game square *******:mad:

18. torocan

torocan Member

There's a reason why Barkley has never had a leading front office job. It's because he's close minded towards changes in the basketball landscape. Analytics aren't an end all be all tool (and analytics proponents will be the first to tell you that), but they're an increasingly important part of the basketball landscape.

Using the Spurs and Heat as the basis of his argument is ridiculous. The last 3 Champions, the Spurs, Heat and Mavericks are all leaders in the use of analytics.

The Heat openly acknowledges their use of analytics and the contribution to how it shapes their offense.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/mi...6/how-advanced-stats-changed-chris-boshs-game

The Spurs are pioneers in the use of Analytics.

http://newsoffice.mit.edu/2013/sloan-sports-analytics-conference-2013-0304

Cuban openly acknowledged the use of analytics as being one of their keys to beating the Heat in his post-championship press conference, and has in fact doubled down on the team's use of analytics to expand his analytics department.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/09/23/cuban-ramps-up-roster-analytics-push/

The rising value of the 3 point shot can be specifically attributed to Analytics.

It's like the analysts claiming that teams can't win shooting jump shots, yet 7 of the last 8 Champions have led all play off teams in 3 point shooting.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Seven of the past eight NBA champions led all playoff teams in 3-point attempts and makes.</p>&mdash; Baxter Holmes (@BaxterHolmes) <a href="https://twitter.com/BaxterHolmes/status/523232816121663488">October 17, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Looking at the teams currently leading the NBA, both the Hawks and GSW are heavy users of analytics.

http://hawkshoop.com/the-ferry-transition/

http://www.sfgate.com/warriors/article/Golden-State-Warriors-at-the-forefront-of-NBA-5753776.php

The moral of the story is that Analytics isn't about nerds vs jocks, it's about the informed and the uninformed. Those who truly make the best use of Analytics are those that use both Analytics AND basketball experience to arrive at the best possible outcomes.

Sadly, it appears that Barkley falls under the category of uninformed.

9 people like this.
  19. rustyrob

rustyrob Member

If someone deserves a best post award, you should get it! Great info, great read.

20. rockets belle

rockets belle Member

I don't think you know how broad analytics is used in sports. And you sound pretty entitled - I'll shut up when Harden carries "us" to the WCF?!