1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Charles Barkley vs Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HoustonTexas, Feb 11, 2015.

1. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I used to love watching TNT with Chuck and Kenny and EJ. But it's turned into a joke... It's about time Barkley moves on I think. He's an entertaining guy, but he's just too dumb to be on TV.

2. coffeelover665

I usually watch The flash while eating the Popeye tuesday special, but this drama will do.

1 person likes this.
  3. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

He'd probably be pretty surprised to learn that the general idea of "analytics" is to take good shots.

I'm pretty heated lol

4. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Shaq doesn't really care either way, but I personally feel Kenny Smith doesn't respect Barkley's opinions most of the time. The Ferguson "open letter" is a prime example.

He might not go all out to defend Houston nor do I believe he should, but he makes fair enough arguments to when Charles and to a lesser extent Shaq make idiotic comments.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think you are confused about what it is, it's not about player acquisition. It can be used in scouting sure (besides, Morey finds more diamonds in the rough.

You can't ever use it solely on scouting talent, because there is a want to as well. Harden could have been happy with being a 20-24 ppg guy who just puts up big numbers on offense. He has the will and want to to get better, but it was analytics and stats that said "If you give this guy more mins, this is what he could do."

Same for guys like Asik. Parsons. Dragic. Lowry...so many guys who came in here and turned out to be steals for the Rockets. We are 4th in the NBA right now. It's not like we are struggling here.

We have good players, we are just missing a piece (playmaker) but otherwise these are good players.

Also WTF is the alternative to analytics? Gut feeling? Seriously, that's the extreme opposite.

If you told me I had to pick an extreme, Analytics or just go on Gut...yeah.

Guys always used stats and advanced stats, Morey is just the face of it for whatever reason (because he puts himself out there) but it's not something he's invented.

1 person likes this.
  6. KayJayNZ

KayJayNZ Member

So much stupid from Charles. It hurts.

7. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

What doesn't seem to get mentioned are all the analytic-based finds on this team that are in turn flipped for assets or cap flexibility. That's as much a part of it as building the team around statistical analysis.

Barkley mentions Chandler Parson. Well, how do you think we were able to nab him in the second round? Analytics. How were we able to avoid albatross contracts so we'd have room to sign players like Howard, Ariza, and the likes? Analytics.

If Barkley's argument is that teams overestimate stats and underestimate the value of chemistry, he'd have a legitimate argument. But even then, the Rockets as a team have the type of camaraderie and leadership in place to get players to buy into the system.

The 3 and layup formula has worked for us in the regular season. But it works because we have James Harden. And how were we able to land James Harden? Through wheeling and dealing assets afforded to us through statistical analysis.

8. malakas

malakas Member

I honestly believe that scouting for the draft is as much relied on LUCK as in ability and analytics.

He will. Next year. Kobe will replace him . Now THAT will be entertaining. Shaq and Kobe in same panel.:grin:

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Shaq is contributing more to TNT than Chuck at this point. I'm pretty sure Charles doesn't even watch these games anymore, he is so off base so often. I'd move CWEBB into his spot, it would fix the problem

10. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

In with you! That comment about our defense was just obsurd... Proves he doesn't watch games.

11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

CWebb definitely would fit well. I kind of like him calling the games, but can see your point.

Barkley used to be more entertaining, now it's just sad...

12. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

[​IMG]

What a hottie.

13. LG1200

LG1200 Member

Loved how he brought up Parsons and then us signing Ariza. Analytics helped us make the decision to let Chandler walk and sign Ariza.

14. Exiled

Exiled Member

So he has one daughter

1 person likes this.
  15. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Maury the egomaniac and attention w**** strikes again. It's time for him to delete his twitter and keep a low profile like most GMs. He needs to focus more on trying to get the Rockets out of the 1st round of the playoffs. I'm sure if the team gets eliminated in the 1st rd yet again, Maury's blind supporters will be ready with a legion of excuses to absolve him of any blame or responsibility.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

That was just sad...listing all the players proved what point? He talked so much and hardly said anything. Anyone who's backing him up based on that rant is just as ignorant as Charles. At least make a good case, other than it doesn't work because you say so.

It would be pretty epic if Morey tweeted out his prom pic :grin:.

17. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Man, that was painful to watch. It's never good to ask that TNT panel to talk about something seriously. An intellectual take on any issue is just asking for trouble.

18. malakas

malakas Member

wow
    Plz tell me what Morey the GM has done that you as a Rockets fan don't like.
    Getting a MVP caliber star without tanking? Signing star FA Howard? Having one of the best benches in the league? Being third in the west in one of the years with the deepest talent and being there WITHOUT one of your stars?
    Maybe after a while it's not the Gm who should be the scapegoat but the players held accountable?
    Might I mention that OKC is out of the playoffs right now?
    Just ridiculous.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I agree, Morey's ego has gotten the best of him. He should keep his mouth out of the press and win something already. You're a smart guy, great. What have you won? Nothing.

In addition though, Barkley is an ignorant dumbass. Shaq is even worse. Not even considering the Houston and Dwight bashing that seems a regular feature now, the TNT halftime show has fallen off in a major way. Adding Shaq as the clown sidekick was a huge mistake and Barkley has been mailing it in for some time.

20. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Imagine if you were the GM of some kind of organization and it kept getting unfairly slammed on a regular basis on national TV. Mostly for completely incorrect information and/or assertions. You wouldn't be urged to go out and publicly defend the work that you put in and the organization's reputation after enough of that crap?

It's really not cool to have an obviously biased agenda and get things blatantly incorrect at the same time broadcasted to millions of gullible people.