1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Charles Barkley vs Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HoustonTexas, Feb 11, 2015.

1. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

How do you know how much the Rockets rely on it compared to other teams?

If it is just about the midrange shot thing, that's BS. Guys take mid-range shots. The shot that is discouraged is the LONG 2 pointer.

We have guys like Bev tossing up floaters, Harden just killed the Suns in the final minutes on mid range shots, Brewer throws some up as well.

If the Rockets had LMA, I doubt they'd tell him NOT to shoot Midrange shots.

3. sabesque

sabesque Member

Charles should be embarrassed after throwing out the basic jock vs nerd argument of you wish you could bein the game, jocks get all the girls.

Weak way to challenge something you don't understand

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I wonder if this will be a topic of discussion on the the various sports shows and radio stations. It's been a slow sports news week.

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I'm glad the hate is out in the open at least. For a while there it was like Fox News pretending to be fair and balanced.

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Bottom line is this:

Rockets have to go deep in the playoffs to prove Barkley wrong and shut him up.

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

TNT had to turn it into a "Chuck's a dumb ass" special...lol

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I am pretty sure every team in the NBA has a growing analytics department in its front office at this point

I had a brief email exchange with Raptors head of analytics, and he said the field is actually highly competitive, with growing volume of CS people applying every year.

9. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

What a fat dumb ass Barkley is.

Gabrielle Union body slammed him lol

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

this is also true...

11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, unfortunately I think the Rockets could win it all, and he'd still be saying stupid ****. Unfortunately since the major media doesn't like the Rockets much, it's probably not going to be an easy change. I think over time though, if Harden continues to play lights out, hopefully media will eventually comes around to get less biased analysis, if not, oh well.

12. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Chuck really embarrassed himself here.

He says the Rockets aren't comtenders because they use analytics... Then goes on to say that we got good because of Harden and Howard. So if they are the reason we are good (which they obviously are) then how does analytics keep us from being contenders?

Chuck has this belief that we are puttin analytics over players. Which just isn't true, sense we have (traded for/signed) two perceived stars in Harden and Howard...

I don't get upset that Chuck so poorly misunderstands the Rockets philosophy. But it pisses me off that for some reason this ignorant fat guys bull**** opinions help develope this teams reputation... Only increasing the public hatred towards a team that's having an incredible season with abunch of good guys.

1 person likes this.
  13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Not really, Charles is just being really ignorant on the issue, whether or not the Rockets wins a championship is a not a telling sign whether analytics works or not.

Using stats and analytics isn't some new thing in the NBA, it's just Morey has been the poster child of it because of he has been really vocal on the subject. The truth is you probably won't find a team in the NBA that isn't using analytics at this point.

As someone else said, we really don't know how much each team really relies on analytics. I mean for all we know, other teams in the league could have a bigger analytics department than we do.

14. downbytheriver

Because of the MASSIVE TURNOVER of role players, and the subsequent backfires that have resulted. A valued skillset like Aaron Brooks is thrown out the window for a "statistical diamond in the rough" like Hamilton ... it's a carousel up there and morey's just another clown at the rodeo.

hell, i'll shut up when harden carries us to the WCF this year. would love to see our offense work in the playoffs when harden can't solo win games and things slow down.

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Ether

1 person likes this.
  16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

If analytics don't matter, why is there a stat sheet?
    Barkley is setting up a straw man. Morey never, and will not, place analytics over talents. Analytics however can to some extent help the team develop certain style of play. That's all. Barkley is an idiot.

18. malakas

malakas Member

ahaha Barkley is maaaad about the Morey tweet.
    There is resistance in bball like in every other sport when analytics are first introduced especially by the older generation. But now every other team uses them .
    There are still a few coaches who don't rely on them or like to use but I bet every front office department and GM uses them heavily.

19. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

Resorting to personal insults usually means you've lost the argument.

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Nerds and their numbers amirite?

Coin flips and 3 pointers and all that bs. Christ if we just had an old school guy we'd be the best team in the league,