1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Charles Barkley = Not Smart

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TManiAC, Nov 7, 2008.

1. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

It really irritates me when Barkley criticizes the Rockets without thinking through his complaints first.

Rick Adelman did the smart thing by putting Yao on the inbound passer. No one expected the Blazers to try and put up a 30 foot prayer in a one point game. RA did the right thing by putting Yao on the inbound passer because he intended to disrupt his vision in anticipation of a screen series closer to the basket. Seeing and passing around Yao makes it really tough to try and get it in the right guy's hands at the right time. Aldridge was hot all game and Roy was hot for the last 2 seconds so you would expect Aldridge to get the ball in the deep post or for Roy/Outlaw to get it out on wing, but never out 30 feet for a turnaround jumper. It wasn't a coaching mistake, it was the right thing to do.

It was just a great game and a great finish. Kudos on Brandon Roy's shot regardless of how late the clock started. I'm sure if we saw the coaches reactions, Nate would have been shrugging and RA would have been rolling his eyes.

2. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I disagree with you. In that situation you play 5 on 4 period.

3. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

TMAC and Yao should not have been on the court. Dorsey should have been on the passer

4. blink

blink Contributing Member

true story... adelman should played 5 v 4, double on roy.... he's their #1 for crying out loud

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man it worked to perfection too. Yao really disrupted the passer that he got the ball inbounds with no problems.

Its Charles Barkley's fault we lost!

6. Tmacfan0115

Tmacfan0115 Member

Barkley is only an idiot when he is talking about how a team is doing, not what a team is doing.

7. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

Why not Aldridge? He had 27 points on 12-20 shooting. Youre up one point, youre gonna protect the area inside the three point line. You expect some kind of screen series to get either LaMarcus Aldridge free, or Brandon Roy. If either get the ball, you collapse on them because they have no time to pass out of the double team and put up a shot. Ron Artest stays on the perimeter because he's clearly the best one out there and you get as much length in the paint as possible to get in the way of the passes and under any shots.

With 0.8 seconds left, the greatest challenge is getting the ball to your man in a place where he can just shoot it because there's no time to create a shot. If the passer cant see when his man get's free, there's no shot. All coaches have a huge playbook for moments just like this, no one expects the coach to just say... "yeah pass it out towards center court and chuck up a prayer."

8. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

With Yao there standing right in front of Blake, jumping around with his arms up in front of him, it made it nearly impossible for him to throw a pass to the post. It was a good decision to put him there and it was a lucky shot PERIOD.

9. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

hindsight is 20/20

10. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

i disagree with you. yao does the best job at cutting off the pass to the basket and corner three. you need to understand that the shot that Roy took was exactly what the rockets wanted.....they just didnt want it to go in? yeah, he was wide open, that was a mistake. but i'd say 9 outta 10 times he misses that shot even if he's wide open.

but if yao is not guarding the inbounder, i guarantee they get a better, higher pct. shot.

11. longhornchampno

The only one who had replied and actually knows basketball. We wanted to force them to make a low percentage tough shot. By putting Yao there, they couldn't pass the ball to the post and throw up a good percentage shot. Instead, they were forced to throw a Hail Mary. It worked according to our plan almost to perfection. The only problem is that the Hail Mary went into the hoop. Whoever criticize Adelman's decision is an idiot.

12. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Rick was probably expecting an alley-oop play and Yao was there for it not to happen. We got the shot we wanted them to take and it just so happens Roy made it. Come on..30ft. buzzer beater? I doubt Roy could pull that off again this year.

13. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

well, it's hard to say. Yao was standing with back to the basket. so no pass can get close to the real 3 point line. he is just to big for any pass to get through. and that's why the inbound pass ended up 30 feet away from the basket. i think that was by design. i don't think anyone thought Roy was going to catch, turn, and then shoot within 0.8 seconds. also, wide open didn't help either. but he was far from the basket. if he missed, this is a none issue. if he shoots from the same spot 10 times, he'll probably make 2/3 at most even if no one guards him.

14. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

The point is that Charles Barkley didnt even stop to think why Yao was on the inbounds passer. Its the move to make when youre down 1 and the other team needs a quick shot.

15. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Did you guys not hear Charles at Half-Time when he said "This is a boring game and the only reason I am here is because you guys are paying me."

Charles, was just trying to saying something to get out of there.

16. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

yeah that was weird. He was really showing that he is not even trying. I do not see how he keeps a job honestly.

17. Landlord Landry

ratings.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Barkley understands the game, you may not agree with him, but the man knows basketball.

DD

19. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

This is the same guy that constantly bashes Mcgrady for not getting out of the first round when its pretty clear that Mcgrady is one of the best players in the league and just needed more support.

This is the same guy that said Yao Ming would never score 20 points in a basketball game.

Barkley knows basketball. But the man just likes to hate. Thats what he does for a living.

20. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

you are wrong...hes name is not charles barkley

its Barles Charkley