1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Charles Barkley, friend or foe of Clutchfans?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jun 10, 2011.

?

Chuck

1. a friend...who's just bitter that Les screwed him over on $$

25 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. a friend... i don't really take what he says seriously

37 vote(s)
    37.8%
  3. a foe ... because Les allegedly screwed him out of money

12 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. a foe ... still mad about losing to the Rockets in 7 games 2 years in a row

24 vote(s)
    24.5%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

It's the offseason and Barkley seems to stir up controversy here on Clutchfans.

Did you know one of the Clutchfans here met him and interviewed him?

here's what happened:

http://www.clutchfans.net/feature.cfm?FeatureID=30

Charles Barkley was sitting alone over to the side, so I got the guts to head over.

Clutch: Hey Charles, can I ask you a few questions?

Barkley: Sure, man.

Clutch: I write for a website called Clutch City Online and a lot of fans asked about the new rules. I know it's being casually referred to as the "Barkley Rule", but we wanted to know how you think this is going to affect your game and the Rockets game this season, being that the Rockets always do a lot of post up.

Barkley: I don't think it will affect me at all to be honest with you. I think it will give me an advantage because I know exactly how quick I have to make my move.... and it only counts if you're dribbling the ball, so if you're facing up it doesn't matter so I don't think it affects me at all.

Clutch: Who do you think is the "Team to Beat" in the West this year?

Barkley: There is a lot of good teams. I don't think there are any great, great teams. San Antonio is very good. I think the Lakers obviously are going to be better. I like our chances after that.

Clutch: We have a lot of Rocket fans here in Austin and I know many wanted to know what you think of Austin so far.

Barkley: (excited) Oh it's nice man, I had never been here before. I'm having a great time. I am. I was excited to see the city and it's been...

Clutch: Hit Sixth Street?

Barkley: Yeah, I went to Sixth Street last night. It's an interesting street. You can get in some trouble down there. (laughter).

Clutch: Great. I saw some of practice yesterday and you looked great yesterday. I appreciate you taking the time...

Barkley: No problem man.

It may be cliched to say good things about a superstar, but talking to Barkley then was fantastic. At first I said, "What I wanted to ask you was... " then forgot for just a second and had to look down at my sheet of paper. I was thinking a player like Charles would shoo me off but he was very cool and easy to talk to ... like Anderson he really made me feel at ease talking to him. That has to be rare in a global superstar like Charles Barkley.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Barkley is primarily an entertainer and I don't take a lot of what he says seriously. As Clutchfans we get annoyed by the stuff he says about Houston but there are fans of other teams who get just as annoyed by the stuff he says about their teams. Remember the Warriors used to have a graphic of their mascot throwing a pie at Barkley during games.

Anyway from other comments I have heard him make he said he enjoyed his time here and if he had been so bitter its doubtful he would've come back for a relatively low salary or rehabbed so hard his last season so he could still come back and play a couple of games as a Rocket.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I can't hate Barkley. A lot of people hate him for being blunt and aggressive. But that's just his character. If Michael Jordan was a TV Analyst, he'd be a condescending ******* to everyone. Kind of like Clyde is; but noticeably more.

The dude is straight up and never shys away from sugar-coating the truth. Or at least the truth in his mind. You have to respect that. At least you can't call him a p***y; he kissed a mule's ass on live tv because he called wrong on Yao Ming!

4. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Chuck is hilarious and is correct in his assesments more often than not. His dynamic with Kenny and Reggie is hysterical and I never pass up an opportunity to catch Barkley on TV. Never understood the hate. He's blunt and intelligent, has an...unconventional delivery, and combines those with his awesome sense of humor.

5. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I don't hate him. He's enjoyable when you don't take him seriously. But I do think he's an idiot.

6. da_juice

da_juice Member

He's blunt and frank, what isn't there to admire? I'd love to have him as a coach or a GM.

7. AB423

AB423 Member

I like watching him on TNT but hate him when he brings up the rockets, he's always talking bad about them.

8. Damion Laverne

He's just fat

9. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

he's a cool guy that just can't let go of a grudge

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Barkley played his heart out for the Rockets -- after that devastating injury from Bradley's knee he worked (part of) his ass off to finish his career on the court in a Rockets jersey.

Rockets should retire his and Deke's jerseys.

11. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I don't hate Chuck..I actually like him. Didn't he once take the ROX to win the west during the preseason when we had Artest?

As far as his assessments, he's had his hits and misses. He called the Mavs beating the Lakers before the series even started. but he sure was wrong about Yao.

I do remember him once saying about the ROX "when Yao and McGrady are both playing well..its Scary" talking about how good the ROX can be.

12. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Barkley is just a clown, he gets paid to talk.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

The Phoenix / Houston series of the 90s were really epic.
    When Charles was in his prime, he was prevented from winning a championship because of Michael Jordan and Hakeem Olajuwon in the playoffs.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JDKeaF7nPrI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iAkwsv314VM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NCvwafDF-OQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OnIy_NhcDFg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. van chief

van chief Member

should not happen

15. tinman

Supporting Member

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lw6dCKwKvRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. redao

redao Member

He is a foe because he is a hater and an idiot.

17. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I've always like Chuck because he speaks his mind, regardless of the detractors, and owns up to it when he is wrong unlike the majority of the other talking heads in the media. Plus he is entertaining.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xhGXiN1KF4M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Never understood the hate? The guy says insane stuff. It's like whatever comes to mind, he blurts out. And then rewords the same thing three times before anybody can say anything. Then there are those brain spasms he has mid-sentence where his brain stops and his mouth has to wait to continue. In the midst of those spasms, he throws out the word "look..." and hopes that entertains you for the 3 seconds it will take for his brain to reboot. He's correct more often than not?! Must be some other Charles Barkley.

"Kenneh... Kenneh... This is just turbul. The Lakers are going to win it aawwll. It's really simple... they gonna.......................score more points (*clears snot out of his nasal passages mid-sentence*). When they score more points, they gonna win, Kenneh. Look... (*pause*)(*pause*)(*pause*) ... the Lakers are gonna score more points and then win [insert random insult]".

He's hilarious, but insightful and consistent he's usually not.

20. lalala902102001

Why hate Charles? He's only there for the comic relief.