1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Charles Barkley apologizes to the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Apr 26, 2016.

1. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

ESPN just let their cash cow Skip walk to FS1 without a second thought.

The sports drive these shows, not the personalities

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And ESPN is the other network that shows NBA games, you don't think they'd drop millions for charles?

easily. they even talk about him on espn.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They care... But they're also stooping to his level with the personal attacks. Brown's tweet was funny, but just as inappropriate... NBA GM's and front office exec's shouldn't really be tweeting media members anyways.

Part of what makes it unique is its ability for the commentators to speak their minds... WITHOUT pandering or catering to the league. ESPN is clearly in bed with every league it shows... All their coverage is vanilla as hell. When somebody like Simmons goes off (justly) on the commissioner, they silence and fire him. I really don't want to watch a watered down/censored version of inside the NBA.

It certainly got out of hand with the tweets and Chucks response to that, and the money talk, etc. As far as dogpiling on the Rockets dog**** play... You're still going to likely see plenty of that. Regardless of who they get to coach them next year, they'll be predicted to be a border-line playoff team by all these same commentators.

4. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

He is THE star. Inside the NBA was completely unwatchable for a few weeks when he was covering March Madness for CBS.

5. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Considering the amount of downsizing ESPN has done lately, no I do not think they would get into a bidding war for him.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Well, I disagree. If all it took was a threat to get Barkley to stop, he would have caved a long time ago. imso, Barkley is a man who just wanted an apology. And that would be all it would take.

But as I said, if he got TNT in trouble, he'd feel bad enough about that that he'd stop with a public apology to take all the blame. So maybe that last $3m comment in tinman's video caused a huge mess for TNT behind the scenes.

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Fair point.

8. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

It digs at us a lot more when Barkley rips us because he played here.

9. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He did say in the video "They didn't pay me all my money, just for the record.."

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

12. jlwee

jlwee Member

World is round anything can happen.

The Rockets will probably still playing this June.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

thx for that vid.

Yeah, that sound-bite could be bad by itself, but it wasn't like Barkley started that tangent in that moment. It was an off-the-cuff response to Shaq saying something about money, then he continues his perfectly OK comments about the play of the Rockets.

Shaq said this right before, "You know why he tweeted you? You said that was fake hustle. So they tweeted back saying 'You know all about fake hustle in your last two years in Houston when you took all our money."

That's kinda just banter between Tad and Barkley that reads like a legal battle. I guess lawyers could pounce on that.

I sure hope that's not the case. Because I doubt that will last. I hope it's settled with just gentleman's apologies finally. Getting lawyers involved to force a public apology won't fix anything in the long run. We'll see.

14. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

"Oh myyyyy goooooshhhhh"

15. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Pressure from the Association

16. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

People acting like barkley isn't the star of inside the nba lol

17. SunsRocketsfan

Barkley had all the leverage here. No one would watch TNT half times how or inside the NBA if it wasn't for him. He's pretty much untouchable.

Barkley - can't be touched
    EJ - only white dude and provides balance. Can be replaced but not likely
    Smith - only employed because Barkley and him have good chemistry but easily expendable
    Shaq - get his fat ass off the show already

18. SunsRocketsfan

Barkley had all the leverage here. No one would watch TNT half times how or inside the NBA if it wasn't for him. He's pretty much untouchable.

Barkley - can't be touched
    EJ - only white dude and provides balance. Can be replaced but not likely
    Smith - only employed because Barkley and him have good chemistry but easily expendable
    Shaq - get his fat ass off the show already

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Untouchable?

I'm betting whoever has more money is going to win in a lawsuit and that's going to be Les.

I think that's what happened. Especially during a huge FA period the last thing you want is this guy continuing to trash the organization. Saying the team sucks is one thing, saying the team doesn't pay their players is another thing entirely.

I guess we'll never know but it was odd for him to do this. Hopefully the Rockets brass will back off too, unless he crosses that line once again.

20. TheresTheDagger

As far as I'm concerned, apology not accepted. And that goes for TNT as well.

They've let that ass run his mouth about our organization for years and never gave a damn before. Now this insincere apology? Means nothing to me.

Show the org and its fans by your actions and maybe in 5 years I'll believe. Right now, its pretty obvious someone spoke to him and he's backpedaling cause he likes his cushy job with the great money.

Not impressed.