1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHARITY] To which place would you rather donate?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, Apr 22, 2014.

Tags:
?

To which place would you rather donate?

1. Goodwill

31.8%
  2. Salvation Army

18.2%
  3. Family Thrift Center stores

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Blue Bird Circle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Sand Dollar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Purple Heart

4.5%
  7. Other (please post name I missed)

27.3%
  8. GoodwalvabirdthriftdollurpleWHA--?!?!? I'm confused! I never donate (my name is Mr. Brightside)

4.5%
  9. Hey! I ordered a Cheeseburger!

13.6%
  1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Went by the Blue Bird Circle store yesterday... their stuff is expensive... it seems like they have lots of "Antique" stuff... even a blazer is about $50... when I can buy a new one for only $150. I think it should be less than that so peeps can afford it... anyway...

Considering all other places like Goodwill or Salvation Army or Family Thrift Stores, Sand Dollar, Purple Heart, etc. (those are the top ones I can think of) to which of those would you rather donate stuff if you had any to donate? :confused:

Is there a difference that you know of that makes you give to one over the other? Have you given anything at all to any of these 'stores'? My swoly family has. We give to the Family Thrift Center a lot... articles, clothing, etc., but only because it's the closes on Highway 6 to us.

My answer (please vote before reading):
    I would donate to Salvation Army. Their prices seem more reasonable than all the others. Maybe Goodwill is a close second place for me.

Nonetheless, I bought two very nice and little used ties for $1 each! I didn't intend to buy anything at all... but I did. :cool:

#1 SwoLy-D, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Salvation Army since they actually try to help people. Goodwill helps people by giving them low paying jobs. Goodwill is as much of a charity as McDonalds is.

1 person likes this.
  3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Yeah, Goodwill just has more convenience & better brand recognition. Generally much better charities out there.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not familiar with Goodwill as a whole, but I know the Austin Branch for Goodwill staffing service has done a lot of help with staffing people with disabilities. I personally know a geologist that was staffed through them.

I tend to donate to goodwill a lot lately mostly because they are the closest location to me. When I was still in Austin, I would donate a lot to the local food pantry. I would also donate to Catholic ministries (Catholic volunteers provide free labor to help ensure most of the donation actually gets to the needy) that I knew served Catholics and non-Catholics. The Settlement Home is a good place to donate in Austin as it serves children that have experienced neglect, abuse, etc through the foster care system.

5. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Wounded Warriors

(wife gives to thrift stores and salvation army)

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Excellent charity.

I may look into donating more to Cypress Assistance Ministries.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I've watched some terrible videos about how goodwill treats it's handicapped employees

I will NEVER take anything there again for the rest of my life

8. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Id rather give food to a homeless guy. Barring that, the Salvation Army is the next choice. I would NEVER EVER EVER donate to Goodwill. Non Profit my ass

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

red cross i donate blood there

10. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Every time I donate it's to my local church. They have a yard sale a couple times a year and the proceeds go to helping several missionaries that we help out financially, we also donate to Depelchin Children Center which is a nonprofit organization that helps out with foster care for children in need.

11. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Goodwill, mostly due to convience. Although after reading through the thread I may have to change charities. I was unaware of their poor treatment of employees.

12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Ditto

I've given 30+ items the past few years.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm in agreement with Mr. Brightside on this one.

14. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Wounded warriors, relay for life to start. It can be as simple as going to your kids book fair and leaving extra money for kids. I like doing that, sucks seeing a kid want a book but only have $1 to spend.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

But if you give to Wounded Warriors... :cool: only THEY get the donations, which is cool and all, but... I was asking about second-hand stores... does Wounded Warriors have a store?

STOREs, not just "a charity." What store out of the ones in the list? :confused: