1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 8: Green Goes Nova

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 11, 2024.

?

Do you believe?

1. Yes

58.4%
  2. No

41.6%
  1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

There you go using sarcasm like I did and still mixed with your negativity.

Anyways everyone hurry up and stop posting opinions about Houston Rocket basketball players on a Houston basketball player message board. This guys is tired of it!!

2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Jalen is just too inconsistent for me to buy in yet. I keep waiting. And waiting. And waiting...

roslolian and Dobbizzle like this.
  3. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Damn right! Enough said.

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I'll settle for Landale going white dwarf...

Mathloom, Nook and Radricky like this.
  5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Green has improved a good bit in my opinion. Passing/defensing/finishing have all leveled up.

However, he can’t shoot these percentages and be a starter. Im also concerned about the lack of a go to (easy bucket) move. I won’t trade him in the summer for peanuts and I won’t overpay to match in summer of 2025.

Over the last 20 games, Ive become a bit more optimistic.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

What? We need him to be a big man.

roslolian, Rashmon and Dobbizzle like this.
  7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don’t hate Jalen Green. I want him to succeed.

#67 MadMax, Mar 11, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
    BigMaloe and Nook like this.
  8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Controversial fatherhood? Do tell.

Did he break her ****ing neck at a hotel first? Was she underage? This his 8th child by 5 women?

9. Nook

Nook Member

You have to stop all this nonsense.

Jalen Green has now played almost three full seasons in the NBA… over 200 games, over 7,000 minutes in the NBA.

He has never shot well or been efficient in any of his seasons. He scored over 20 points a game last year, in an offensive explosion era - and largely scored over 20 points a game because the Rockets were horrible and someone had to score. He hasn’t so far been a good NBA offensive player and defensively he has been terrible until this season, where he has been mediocre.

The physical talent is there for Green to be really good if he makes better decisions and learns to shoot better - it may happen but it hasn’t so far and as more time goes on, it is less likely to happen.

He is under contract next year - give him an off season where he actually busts his ass and let’s see what happens… if he shoots better, he will be an all star.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Chapter 7151396023623: Traded.

11. Risingred

Risingred Member

I have been saying this almost every single rockets game thread, Jalen needs to pass more and make the pass earlier. Every time he passed to his teammates early in the possession, the offense looked so much better and he got the ball back most of time in a wide open situation. Every game we said the same thing, and every game he reverted back to his old form. I don't trust a low basketball IQ player to be our franchise cornerstone. He's at most a journeyman, a sixth man to me. If he is as skillful as Harden, I can tolerate that, but he isn't - plus his numbers have been digressing this year. I hope Sengun's absence will allow Jalen to put up his numbers and drive up his trade value. Jalen will be better off playing for a faster paced team and the Rockets would be better off unloading a selfish player.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Just want to say wish people could understand this perspective. I don’t care where he was drafted. My whole thing is: do I believe he can be worth $30m by the time his contract is up? If the answer is yes, we certainly have room for a SG that’s actually worth $30m.

I’ve seen strides from him defensively but we still can’t call him a good defender. I’m fairly sure he can continue to improve because this was the first time ever in his career he was seriously asked to play defense and he responded well to it. If he improves by that much again next season, we’ll be approaching good defender status. That will make a huge improvement to his impact numbers (impact on wins).

Still, his career will not be judged by his defense. There are SO MANY all star scoring SG’s in history who aren’t god defenders at age 22. It’s more likely than not and it’s not something to panic about as long as he doesn’t stop improving. He’ll be judged by his scoring and passing ultimately. What he needs by next season to become a better scorer is pretty simple.

- He must continue to get stronger so he can absorb contact better near the rim and it will help him on defense at times. Getting to the line is key for him, he must have this source of non-jumper reliable 2PTers.

- He must improve his 3PT shot this summer. This is so key for him not to be a detriment when Sengun has the ball. He has to be a spacer sometimes and that would make both him and Sengun better.

- He must improve his shot selection. Mainly, no more mid range except from FT line and no more difficult 3pters (distant/stepback/fadeaway type jumpers)

Yeah if I believe he can get all this stuff done by 23, we’re going to want to keep him. At minimum would be a great trade asset.

harold bingo likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

yixiixiy likes this.
  15. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't know why anybody would be confident he will be worth $30M at any point in the near future. He has not once improved as a scorer going into a new season--in fact, he's actually gotten less efficient every year so far.

I'm not ruling it out, but it sure seems like a low-percentage outcome at this point.

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

@Nook you mentioned his hands... seems like every game one of his hands is in pain and he keeps squeezing it tryin to massage or something... have you heard anything about some injury?

Hank McDowell and daywalker02 like this.
  17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's just embarrassed about being such a bricklayer. :D

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I view basketball as a sport that has runs and droughts ......you go with the flow......I am buying nothing.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If we are talking Green, I thought he was durable this year......

20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

you like DOGS. you like gritty players. you enjoy players who play 110% every possession. but most often those types are role players.

it does makes sense why you aesthetically dont like jalens game. its much too finesse. i can see that.

i do agree with you that you dont want him to fail tho. I wholeheartedly believe you but he doesnt have to fit that archtype to become successful.