1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 6: Green & Redemption

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No, it was not accepted in that quote, you can read it again.

Somehow I think Udoka's opinion is tougher than yours and I agree with him. You seem more interested in taking your anger about draft pick positioning or something.

dmoneybangbang and gfab-babyboi like this.
  2. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Get rid of the 29% area which he ends up shooting so often because Fred is top of arc , Bari opposite wing , and Dillion is in same corner

Attached Files:

Mathloom likes this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nah, his Instagram shows he's still got one. His poor shooting and low basketball IQ doesn't stop him from getting to walk the red carpet with all the stars at those GQ parties.
    Screenshot_20240123-074616.png

4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

He can't really do anything about being a good looking and fashionable kid. I'm not sure why people are hung up on that stuff. I just want him to take easier shots and keep getting better at defense and passing. Do a lot of extra individual training.

If Jalen sucked on the court, in practice and in the offseason I don't believe Udoka would keep him in the starting line up this long.

BigMaloe and dmoneybangbang like this.
  5. TimDuncanDonaut

Apparently the GQ men of the year, was on Thursday Nov 16 2023 at L.A.. Rockets had a Cippers game Nov 17th. So he was in town.

We ended up losing that Clippers game. Green was 5 of 16, a -10 +/-.

It's his own free time. His brand is his side-hustle, it is what it is.

HardenReturns likes this.
  6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Those are just regular Jalen Green shooting numbers though

7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

It's not as if Jalen is being hounded by the opposing team's star perimeter defender, and moving him to the bench for an easier 20-30 minutes means he's being defended by some scrub.

Jalen is almost never defended by the opposing team's best player. He is very rarely ever double teamed.

The only times in games he faces actual intense pressure, he is a turnover machine.

I genuinely don't see playing the bench mob of the opposition for greater lengths of time gives him easier opportunities.

If anything, it could backfire even worse considering likely one of Sengun/Fred are off for a decent spell of these bench minutes for Green, meaning defenses turn more of an eye to Jalen.

clutchdabear and HardenReturns like this.
  8. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

Edit: accidental double post.

9. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

He shoots poorly so he should dress like a bum for an event according to you. This is just ridiculous

#1368A moment ago

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I might agree with you if his problems were something other than poor shooting and missing easy / open shots.

Playing against the opponent's bench brigade isn't going to make his shots go thru the hoop at a higher rate.

I'm not at all against keeping Green because IF he suddenly figures out how to make the ball go in, he's a valuable player - much more valuable than anything Stone could get for him in trade but in the mean time, he should be a bench player and he better live in the gym all offseason with the best shooting coach money can buy to fix his shot.

11. TimDuncanDonaut

I don't follow Jalen on social media so not sure what other parties he goes to or doesn't go to. So no idea on the frequency of extracurricular activities and if that had any effect on his downward shooting numbers this season.

It's his own free time. That side hustle can also yield him financial gains, so I'm not mad at it, but it's really his choice.

Does he spend more time on the main hustle (NBA) or something else. If Jalen becomes a superstar in the NBA, the side endorsement deals will still come as easily as if he invested time in Hollywood.

Is he in the lab enough honing his craft on non-game days; I've no idea, we only see what he puts on the court. If he plays bad and still go to public parties, the appearance will also make some fans think a certain a way.

It's his future, so Jalen (and his publicist) can do what they want.

#1371 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 23, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
    plegus likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The most passion he displays is when he makes a dunk shot lol....I do not see the same passion anywhere as much.....

HardenReturns likes this.
  13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not saying he should dress like a bum, nor not saying he isn't pretty. Just saying his ego is fine by his Instagram posts when someone mentioned his ego might need a kick.

14. TimDuncanDonaut

If I was Jalen's uncle or something, there are a lot of career/life advices I would give, likely advise him differently than what his current team is doing. When an athlete starts to become famous, it's important to know what opportunities to accept and what not to.

His focus should entirely be playing well this (and next) season, so he can lock in good money on the extension. This should be his #1 goal.

Jalen's #1 spot on the team is not locked. In casual fan's eyes, he might be #1 popularity-wise, but here on CF he's already moved down. Ime's minutes allocation is an indictment.

Other guys on the team are after their bread. If Jalen doesn't go after his slice, the pie will be given to others.

15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

We'll just have to disagree. I think that if you place the same player against easier competition, they get better (starter > bench > Europe > College > G League > etc). I'm really surprised you don't agree.

I think it's a more general problem, seems more like a choice or mental thing than a skill. His shot selection is flat out bad, mostly he's shooting himself in the foot and works on too many things. I hope Udoka puts a tighter leash on his offense and they keep working on his game.

16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Oh I meant a kick downward. He's too confident taking stupid shots.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Like I said above, if it were something other than shooting and missing a high volume of open shots. I'd agree with you 100%.

Problem is, facing easier competition doesn't equate to shots, particularly open shots falling at a higher rate.

This isn't last year where he was having to generate his own shots, now they come in the flow of the offense, generally assisted by FVV or Sengun or in some form of PnR set that gets "an open look".

If he could shoot 37% from 3 and ~45% from the floor .... we'd be arguing about whether or not he's getting a max instead of playing himself into a vet min or playing in China.

18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

You've posted this before and i do appreciate it. Do you have this years shot chart by chance tho to look at?

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

BigMaloe likes this.
  20. MystikArkitect

Almost every dude I've met that has this type of "side hustle" is a terrible businessman that is constantly distracted by the glitz and does **** they shouldn't be doing to upkeep the lifestyle. I've met a few that ended up in really bad spots because they just couldn't stop trying to impress the women and flunkies.