1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Chapter 6: Green & Redemption

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Apr 5, 2023.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What? You buy into the right wing propaganda that nail polish effects testosterone levels?
    Physical activity effects testosterone levels not fashion sense.

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Men are a lot different these days. They have to be. Females are better socially than us... So now modern bros act like women to fit in socially and to come up. There is actually a study about it, but wrong place wrong time. Ha.

3. fchowd0311

The irony is the manosphere rhetoric you are expressing here is rife with mlm and self help infomercial style content.

You must think top g Tate is being persecuted for being masculine.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Top G... Great marketer. Bigger D bag. The kids that follow him are hysterical.

Probably the best thing to come from Mr. Tate.

Mathloom likes this.
  5. Bo6

Bo6 Member

hopefully he actually eats this off-season. hes got 4 months to add 10-15 lbs. shouldn't be too hard if focused.

Mathloom likes this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Did you see the video @fchowd0311 posted of the first game of his rookie season? He's come a LONG way.

The concern that he can't add muscle is gone AFAIC. If he continues that trajectory.

15lbs of pure muscle in a summer is not possible without PED's.

I'm with you though, adding muscle and refining his 3pt shot are keys this summer. Very hard to do those things simultaneously but fingers crossed.

#106 Mathloom, Apr 19, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
    Dobbizzle, Bo6 and fchowd0311 like this.
  7. Bo6

Bo6 Member

10-15lbs of weight is doable. doesn't have to be purely "muscle". any amount of weight is going to help him to drive to the basket and finish more effectively.

i'm only slightly concerned because i saw a few pics of him @cochella and he still got them string bean arms

Mathloom likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

We don't have to see him in Coachella. You can see his muscle mass growth in NBA games lol.

Athletes especially tall athletes even with good amount of muscle mass can look like twigs if their shirts are loose fitting. The modern style for young fit males is a loose fitted shirt with fitted slim pants or shorts.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  9. i3artow i3aller

10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

[​IMG]

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Simmons is another guy who refuses to grock the concept of Age Relative to League (except when it suits a narrative he's trying to push, of course)

Mathloom likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Chapter 7 - Green on the Celtics.

:)

DD

14. Ancient Moabite

more like

Chapter 7 footnote - Green drops 50 piece against Celtics, dedicates game to B. Simmons

#114 Ancient Moabite, Apr 20, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
    cbass, Mathloom, OremLK and 1 other person like this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Can't remember who it was that was trying to convince me that people who professionally talk about the NBA are probably right more often than the average fan, which is so absurd to me. These guys hit and miss as often as an average Clutchfans poster. They just speak better and prepare better for these discussions than you do, nothing more. No one evaluated them for being good at picking winners and losers, their job interviews were all about how many clicks they can get.

When people complain about overusing and misunderstanding stats, I often feel like Simmons is the poster boy for that. The persona he's chosen is a kind of intelligent guy but really he is a total moron when it comes to advanced stats. What he's doing here is simply saying Green scored 38 and it didn't lead to a win PLUS his advanced stats show that his points didn't move the needle. What he is intentionally or stupidly missing here is that a 2nd year Kobe Bryant would also move the needle 0% on this team so his assessment is not at all telling us if Jalen is a winner or not.

Having said all that, my overall thinking is that no one really follows another team as closely as their own not even analysts. It's not reasonable to expect these guys to understand the context of our past two seasons. It's not reasonable to expect these guys to understand that our PG play has been - not just bad - but all-time bad. I challenge you to find a team that gave two full seasons starting at PG to a player who after the 2 years is still a below average floor general at best and certainly one of the worst starting PG's in the NBA. That situation was forced onto the coach by the GM, and if you can't read between the lines then like Simmons you will shallowly think that this was an "oops" instead of a tanking strategy. I don't think Simmons understands that if you replaced KPJ with even a Corey Joseph we may not win more games but Jalen Green, Jabari Smith and Alperen Sengun would all have had more efficient offensive seasons. Very similar to how much better Wolves and Edwards got replacing a more talented PG (D'Angelo Russell) with a better floor general (Mike Conley). Stone played the tanking game very well, it was invisible to non-Rockets fans.

So what I'm saying is I don't blame them for being this misguided about what's going on with our players. I don't expect them to know. Simmons has enjoyed ******** on the Rockets even in the Harden years for reasons I can't understand. He may not be trying to **** on Green here, but his bias is strong. I wonder where it comes from.

What makes me smile instead of getting annoyed by this is that the young players are just automatically going to improve so much next season. That would have happened this last season but I did not anticipate Stone being the most aggressive tanker in NBA history. Who could have anticipated that? If I had known that's how it's going to be, I would have certainly tempered my expectations about the sophomore jump I was expecting from some of these guys. Instead, we just had to wait one extra season for that natural growth to appear and not be suffocated, but it's there. They're all going to shoot better and they're all going to take less stupid shots next season and people like Simmons will give the credit to the new coach even though the truth is any new coach under an organization that now wants to win and with veteran depth (veterans that want to be here) will achieve this bump in efficiency cause the players had already done their part.

I look forward to this plate of crow we'll throw at his face without much effort. He will change his mind because Jalen is going t be SO good and SO marketable that his bosses will not be happy to let his bias roam free anymore.

fchowd0311 and peleincubus like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Rockets were 8-8 this year when Jalen scored at least 30 points…15-15 when he scored at least 25

his problem is consistency

Devin Booker was considered a nice stats, bad team guy who doesn’t impact winning for a long time

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's very true, the Rockets were good when Green was good....but he was very rarely any good. That's okay, I'm told that we should expect nothing at all from 21 year old players....but 22 year old players are finished products. So next season should be interesting.

GotGame15 likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

Aren't Green and KPJ 1 year and 10 months apart?
    Basically two years?

What if we just compared their first two seasons?

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sure you can do that, it is somewhat interesting.

However, decisions have to be made on where they both are as a player now - because 22 or 21 or 19 months is not a big deal both have 10+ years of NBA ahead of them, so that 19 months isn't really a big deal when you are making a decision today on whom is the better option going forward...

If you are balancing your roster, you think of skill and you think of cost......if one must go a case can be made for both Green and KPJ ....or they could both stay.....crazy times.

DD

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member