1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 6: Green & Redemption

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Apr 5, 2023.

1. jogo

jogo Member

I agree with this. I've said before the whole key for Green is 3 Point shooting. I'd be satisfied with 36% 3PTers but I don't think he'll even get that. As of today, he is shooting under 40% FG and 33.3% 3PT.

Though Jalen hasn't seemed to improve his game much at all, I think he is a confidence player and if he had improvement there it would dramatically up his game. He probably deserves the bench but putting him there will kill his confidence and I don't know if he'd be worth anything at that point.

Corrosion likes this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

is it xmas yet? is green traded?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He had a solid 3rd quarter to partially salvage his game after an absolutely pathetic first half.

Still ended up under 54% TS%

If he had a more proper bench role you'd still get the few fluke moments of good play without a much hurting the team.... but so long as Sengun and Smith have really good games against really bad teams the team can still win despite the handicap that is Jalen Green starting.

jim1961 likes this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That post was in response to the "he is bad for the team" comment. Being the worst +/- in our rotation is not the same as being "bad for the team," especially when his +/- is still on the positive side.

Not trying to defend Jalen, but there's a reason why they are still playing him a lot of minutes. I don't think it is only because of his high draft position. Udoka wants to win. If Green was hurting the team's chances of winning, he would sit him. Green, Smith, Sengun all got benched at one point in the 4th quarter in close games.

Green is not playing well and he deserves a lot of the criticisms. If he continues, he will likely be benched. But I think this board is getting into the mob mentality of exaggerating the negative impact of the guy.

5. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

anthony59237 likes this.
  6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]

Pistol Pete and Easy like this.
  7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

By the way, my go to stat for defending Jalen is that he has a (marginally) better defensive rating thank Brooks this season. His radical improvement on defense is a major reason why the Rockets have improved so much. But hey, say anything in defense of Jalen and suffer the wrath of the anti-Green cultist weirdos.

anthony59237 likes this.
  8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You know as you type that that Green's defense isn't better than Brooks. Perhaps there are other factors impacting that statistic. For example, the matchups when Green is on the floor and the times when Green is benched versus Brooks. If the Rockets aren't running and gunning, Udoka is savvy enough to stick Green on the bench. Contextual metrics have to be interpreted in context.

Green is moving his feet a lot more, but to attribute that (of all things) as one of the key reasons the Rockets have improved is a bit insane. There's a reason Udoka can't find ways to play Fred less than 35 mpg.

Signed, cultist weirdo

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I don’t think anybody disagrees that Jalen’s improved defensively. He has. But his offensive incompetence outweighs improvements he’s made on that end, especially when he continues to be one of the team leaders in minutes, shots, and inefficiency.

Corrosion and Plowman like this.
  10. Dredd

Dredd Member

Sources say soon. Filipinos celebrate Kwanzaa, so sometime next week.

Jontro likes this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You seem stressed bro, claims of boasting, creating labels with “anti-Green” folk

I am not anti Green, Jeff is great.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

My confidence in the future of Green has definitely been shaken quite a bit this season so far. Jabari has shown more improvement than Green even though Green is more experienced. Concerning.

I think Jabari is simply more used to not having to develop a rhythm to be confident.

I think most of Green's issues on offense now is second guessing all his movements where he becomes a step slower.

He needs to find the balance between making quick accurate reads and not overthinking. That probably is his biggest hurdle now.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

We need to move on from Jalen, he clearly is not getting it as an NBA player, let him develop somewhere that has 5 years to develop - he is bad at fundamentals is a LOW BBALL IQ person - those guys don't generally get it...his ceiling is JR Smith light.

Bring up Cam, split SG mins with Brooks and Cam and move on from Captain Mumbles......no more excuses, he is just not a good basketball player.

DD

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He can’t be considered an “all around player” if he doesn’t do a single thing at a league average level offensively yet lmao.

Downtown Sniper and DaDakota like this.
  16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Jalen Green is significantly worse than he was even last month.

............Nov/Dec
    Pts/GM. 20/14
    FG%......44/34
    3 PT % 38/29
    Assists.. 4/3
    FT%.....79/89

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/splits/_/id/4437244/jalen-green

In fact nearly every statistical category is worse except FT% with rebounding being about the same.
    So those saying he is improving this year, I cant say what your seeing.
    Defense maybe?

17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Defense and passing seem markedly improved. The rebounding seems marginally improved as well.

however, right now, all of that is negated by regression and offensive efficiency and ball handling. And it wasn’t like he was amazing at either of those before.

All about putting Thompson or Whitmore in the starting lineup to see if we can catch lightning in a bottle in a sense of a rookie player that just defines that they should be a starter for us for the next 10 years.

I think Green could end up being a decent sixth man. I think that he will improve his offensive efficiency, but not enough.

I really like winning more games but I want to see Tate completely completely out of the rotation and a few of the holiday minutes going to our young players.

18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I know, thats all anyone can focus on which is sad because there are a shiit ton more variables to basketball than the ball going in the hoop. Its definately important buts its just a singular part of the game. Ever

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

You are right in that other aspects of the game do count.
    But Jalen plays the 2, where shooting is probably a higher responsibility than any other position.

20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

forever the criticism has been, if he isnt making shots hes useless. everyone wanted him to improve at other things

he has made himself such a better team player in a few short months. hes roubounding better, passing better, and defending better. hes not a zero out there anymore when his shot isnt falling.

so now the criticism is rightfully, that he cant made a shot at all. but hes become a positive team player even when he is shooting a horrid %. no one wants to give him credit because the echo chamber is loud.

he still has a ton of work to do, im not dismissing that, but people fail to realize his role has changed. hes not our primary scorer or even a scoring guard so much anymore. on most nights hes typically 3rd in attempts behind sengun and fred.

javal_lon likes this.