1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 6: Green & Redemption

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Apr 5, 2023.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Great... we tanked for a below average role player. Totally worth it.

Downtown Sniper and J Sizzle like this.
  2. Dredd

Dredd Member

Start a new chapter.

J Sizzle likes this.
  3. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

We all know game was over when Jalen bricked the open 3 from the corner around 2 mins left on the clock that was the time air was out of the ball.

J Sizzle likes this.
  4. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I said this in another thread, but Jalen legitimately seems to be figuring some stuff out in terms of how to be a better all-around player. His decision making has gotten way better and his off-ball defense has improved the last few games.

BUT THERE'S ONE GLARING ****ING PROBLEM

He can't put the biscuit in the basket. Like, hardly at all! And he not drawing fouls at the rates he was last year either, for whatever reason. And we sadly did not draft him to be an ok shooting guard that you can plug in to be a 4th or 5th option.

His mechanics are still inconsistent, so I don't think we're gonna see a huge improvement from behind the arc anytime soon, but he's got to find other ways to score, or else he loses a lot of the value he's supposed to bring to our squad. It's really frustrating for me, because the solution seems so simple...but it's not

Carpe82 and MoochiSmoochi like this.
  5. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

I’m still on a don’t trade Jalen Green wagon, not because I have a hope he’s gonna turn around and becoming next Ja Morant. I honestly believe his thought on not getting max extension is really getting to his head and realizing he is not the main hero of the team really hitting him hard. Best case scenario is he keep playing bad like this rest of the season so we can extend him for very low price and hope for redemption when he don’t have to worry about contracts or becoming next face of the Rockets.

Dredd and Roomba like this.
  6. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Cruel, but that may be the best thing for the Rockets and possibly Jalen. A reasonable contract and freedom from that nagging voice telling you you're losing money with each mistake

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Nobody wants Jalen Green to suck. But he does.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

42% TS% isn't starter caliber.

BallaDoc likes this.
  9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If the rockets keep him without extending him I believe he’ll have to be a RFA the next season. Does the current version of Jalen get a max offer in RFA?? I dunno but probably not. Still it’s a gamble a lot of GM’s probably won’t want to take IF there are options out there which is the big question.

Honestly anyone who claims to know what Jalen is worth in a trade at the deadline this year is lying to you. I think it’s all going to be heavily situational to each team and a player like Jalen is the type of trade piece that likely never gets brought up first. Why would a team call us about Jalen when we have better young players on the roster?

So I’m on team plan on keeping him but be very open to dealing him. Just make a smart trade and don’t feel unnecessary pressure.

10. Dredd

Dredd Member

Jalen will play his contract out here. They are not trading or giving up on a #2 pick for crumbs.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Chapter 7 - Condemnation

Dredd and MoochiSmoochi like this.
  12. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

Can we skip over to Ch.11?

Downtown Sniper and Dredd like this.
  13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Chapter 11: Change of Scenery

MoochiSmoochi likes this.
  14. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

Well I meant Chapter 11 Bankruptcy but that works as well

subtomic and GOATuve like this.
  15. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

You still bullish on him being the next Kobe?

GotGame15 and Outlier like this.
  16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

anyone offering a max to Green at RFA is a firable offense imo, like immediate firable offense

jim1961 likes this.
  17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Can we skip to the good part?

18. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Nobody is giving him anywhere near the max unless Silas somehow gets a gm job

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Which is why I'm kind of in the keep him camp. Take the risk in RFA. The worst thing that can happen is you extend out Sengun, Jalen ends up coming off the bench later this year or next year, and he sulks and asks for a trade.

That's not preferable mind you, but it's better to risk that than trade him now for peanuts just because. If you keep him now, and risk all of that happening there is still a chance he both turns it around, and proves he's a valuable piece to a playoff team, and proves he's valuable enough to match an offer in RFA. If you move him now for crap, then you're giving up free time to see if you have a player that can emerge.

Of course if a good offer is out there (I dunno... a rotation player, and a mid first round pick??) then don't think twice about it at this point IMO.

Easy likes this.
  20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I agree with you. I think the best case scenario is to let him test out RFA, he will get no good offers imo and we get him on a cheap contract to let him develop a bit.

We won't get shet in a trade, unless he's used as a filler for some crazy super trade

dobro1229 likes this.