1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Chapter 6: Green & Redemption

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Apr 5, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He hasn't committed a sin or a bad deed, so no need to play teh redemption 'card'.

HeyBudLetsParty likes this.
  2. i3artow i3aller

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

He is still so young. He is still, at this minute, younger than most of the best shooting guards in NBA history were when they played their first games in the league: Jordan, Wade, Iverson, Drexler, Allen, Carter--all of these guys were older than he is now. Those guys, most of them were putting up similar or worse numbers against NCAA competition to what Green is doing now in the NBA.

The upside here is ridiculous. No guarantee he gets to the level where he's in the conversation with those kinds of players, but I feel confident he at least has more potential left to unlock.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah also Corey Brewer came into the league (7th pick) at 21 and averaged 5.8 points on 19% shooting from 3. When does he start looking like this kind of player??? Bobbythegreat said one day there would be a chance in a few years.

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Glad he's self aware enough to know that efficiency and "things other than scoring" are things he needs to work on.

The most exciting thing for me about his season is that he increased his usage by 5 percentage points, but his turnover % remained basically exactly the same. His assist % went up 4 percentage points too, and his free throw rate increased significantly. All very encouraging.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This, in some ways, was why I was less worried about Jabari this year than I was about Jalen after his start last year. Jabari's shot may look ugly and he may brick shots forever, but he had something else to fall on in his defense, his rebounding, or apparently his leadership qualities. With Jalen, if his shot wasn't falling, it could end up looking horrific. I'm hoping as he adds weight and knowledge, his defense, rebounding, assists, and his consistency improve. He seems willing to accept his flaws and improve and doesn't seem to have any crazy ego, so at least that's a start towards that.

NewAge, BigMaloe, Mathloom and 3 others like this.
  7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The truth about the Denver game is the Nuggets came out without any energy or urgency. It had (almost) nothing to do with the Rockets beating the Nuggets. I don't think anyone actually viewed that game as a turning point.

Maybe watch the game with the Nuggets' broadcast to get a better perspective.

#27 Haymitch, Apr 5, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
    NewAge, Mathloom and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Documentation of green's development, each thread is litter with sht takes from kpj only stans vs folks who want green to do well.

The earlier ones had a lot of sht takes green is a bust, i wish we had mobley, green is brewer 2.0, etc

The later threads the negative kpj stans/mobley folks are in hiding since green is doing pretty well

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Jabari doesn't have the same role as Green on offense. Green isn't just bricking shots. He's creating gravity and screwing defenses because of his ability to get to the rim off the dribble.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This series has really fallen off -- I suggest GPT for future chapters.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Get outta here. I thought Jabari was a SG and our designated scorer. The things you learn!

For us to communicate, you'll also have to understand my use of the word "wasn't" when referencing Jalen and your use of "isn't". It's a big difference!

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Corrosion likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yeah it wasn't special in the sense that we won a difficult game. I meant it more like:

- If you best your favorite player in a head to head matchup for the first time, it will break the ceiling your mind had previously put on you. Can't tell me Sengun won't feel different after this.

- Green came out like it's a playoff game and it was going to be the case no matter who we played.

- Jabari missing shots but contributing to a win despite being guarded by an elite defender for a lot of the game.

- The feedback loop of insisting on a win with effort and actually getting the win is rare for us this season. This was one of the best wins in the regard.

I really felt it but it's totally subjective. Sometimes even the mundane win can trigger a change of mindset. We'll see I guess, but it's a long wait.

Haymitch likes this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

15. i3artow i3aller

#35 i3artow i3aller, Apr 6, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
    DreamR, KingCheetah and Verbal Christ like this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You can tell which NBA analysts are click bait types and actually pay attention and watch games. This guy takes his job seriously.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Doesn't really fit the narrative of a chucker who doesn't care about getting more efficient, does it?

O-dawg and BigMaloe like this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

19. NewAge

NewAge Member

If things click in his head, he can be special, I think.
    that’s the main diff to a mid-talent, like Huerter, for example. A very fine player, impacts the game more than Green right now with the way he plays. But if Sac wanted to trade them for each other, I wouldn’t

20. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Green needs to be a better defender. Everything else will fall into place.

I know a lot of people think that coaches don’t make that much of a difference, but I disagree for this group of players. Maybe it will end up worth it that we intentionally ran Silas to lose. BUT I think someone like Atkinson or Udoka is going to make a world of visible difference.