1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 5: The Green Revolution Falls

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 8, 2023.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is when people like you lose all credibility. The ONLY two players to show up last night was Green and KPJ....but since you are so committed to a false narrative, you'll blame that on KPJ.

You'll blame other players sucking on KPJ, and do all you can to downplay KPJ's really good performance.....somehow scoring 25 on sky high efficiency has to be a bad thing right?

Funny enough you won't then credit KPJ when others play well. Basically no matter what happens, people like you are going to do all you can to dump on that one player. As a result, you are incapable of giving valid analysis because that one narrative and agenda will always override anything else.

It just shows how much cognitive bias can blind otherwise intelligent posters.

Edit: Also, I'd like to point out just how stupid the assist narrative is....you bring up CP3....a guy who averaged 2 more assists than CP3 on teams averaging 36% from 3 that were top 5 in the league when it comes to offensive efficiency......22 year old KPJ is expected to match the assist numbers of one of the greatest PG's in NBA history on a team full of inefficient young players who can't make shots? In this last game, Green's usage was over 35% and no one other than Green and KPJ were making any shots....where were the assists supposed to come from? You simultaneously whine any time KPJ controls the ball and then you whine that he's not racking up assists when he doesn't control the ball.

How do you expect anyone to take you seriously?

#161 Bobbythegreat, Mar 20, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Sorry, to say I want more than 4 assists to 2 TO's even though he shot well is normal. I don't know why you're so defensive or touchy about that, but that's a totally normal thing to want from my PG. It's what I would want from Jamal Murray. It's what I would want from DeAron Fox. It's what I would want from Steph Curry. These guys are not elite passers, they just need to give you 6-7 assists for the 2 TO's. That would have increased our overall assist total, which is strongly correlated with winning basketball (along with elite iso scoring).

3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’m confused about your point here. Jamal Murray and Fox are averaging 6 assists, whereas KPJ is averaging 5.8. That’s not a massive difference. In fact, Murray averaged less than 5 assists most of his career. At 22, Murray averaged 18.5 /4/4.8 (KPJ is averaging 18.7/5.5/5.8).

highpost1388 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yes but we're Rockets fans so we know that the context is he's being trying to be lead PG for over 100 games now and his stats for the season most of them were with him running the offense. He has not played much with Sengun running the offense. I'm ok with 5.8 assists if he had less TO's or more FTM and if it comes while playing as secondary playmaker to Sengun. I think that would be good for us.

This past week he's done well on assists. I genuinely don't get why it's absurd I wanted more than 4 assists to 2 TO's from him. Like would you be as confused if I said I wish Jabari should have made more of his shots?

5. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’m not confused about you wanting more than 4 assists to 2 TOs. That’s fair. I am, however, confused about you extrapolating one game to compare to Murray and Fox. That’s not fair. Both Fox and Murray have had many 4 assist / 2 TO games or worse.

highpost1388 likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't get why you would outright lie like that. You wouldn't be "ok" with any numbers from KPJ, it's obvious.

His last 18 games he's put up 18.7/6.3/5.6 hitting 40% of his 3's and having a 60+% TS% and still you b**** about it.

There's literally not a scenario where you will stop your mindless whining because it's not rational or tied to reality.

It would be better if you just stopped lying and were honest about your bias.

7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Right and I would call those poor games for Murray and Fox especially if their team didn't win and the team desperately needed the ball to be shared more.

There's no fairness thing going on here. That's just how I'd like to see the offense. That's something I believe would have helped us win. You have to get out of the pro/anti KPJ mindset. There's no agenda against KPJ here.

8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Kpj had a good game as a scoring first pg yesterday yet everybody on the team disappeared aside from green who had an even more efficient game.

Can't b too mad about it. Kpj didn't have the playmaking ability to make his team better but he and green scored efficiently enough.

If we had an actual pg with kpj on the bench scoring like that or a back up pg aside from tate game could have easily been won. Our bench production is pitiful.

Dobbizzle and invocux like this.
  9. i3artow i3aller

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Balls.

He'll be one of the highest scoring players in the entire NBA and that's an even doper player. In this high scoring era, he'll peak at 30-35ppg for a season (minimum).

It's impossible for me to imagine him not succeeding at age 25 assuming modest, gradual improvements to finishing through contact, muscle and shot selection. He can be a 30ppg player I have no doubt about that, the only thing that concerns me is whether he will be respectable on defense because that's the determining factor in whether he'll be a top tier franchise player or not.

Look at his numbers like a Durant. Is it a flaw in Durant's game that he's not the triple double machine of the era with assists and setting up the offense for others? Kawhi? No these are just player types, it's not a flaw and it's not right to say someone is incomplete (or not capable of being a floor raiser because of it.

This model has been tested before. Jordan, Kobe, Wade. These guys rarely averaged 8 assists or 8 rebounds. The defense is half offense and half defense. If you can torch people on offense and be respectable on defense, that's 100% of the formula there are no other possessions. You're going to be a major net impact. If like Harden you can be all time elite at scoring, then you get a little more leeway on defense or load management which is commonly awarded to hard working scorers in the NBA.

I know I'm one of the most optimistic on Jalen, but the flashes he's shown in a suffocating situation at this young age are brighter than being acknowledged. I'll enjoy people acting surprised when he makes an "unexpected" jump early next season.

#171 Mathloom, Mar 21, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    BigMaloe, DreamR, topfive and 4 others like this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its time for chapter 6!

BigM, Dredd and Mathloom like this.
  13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

It's just waiting for a special game (not just individual scoring), not sure what is is but I hope it's this season. We'll know it when we see it.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  14. xaos

xaos Member

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Which matches the eye test. I feel more confident about a Jalen Green shot going in when he's off the dribble off balance than when he's open with a set shot.

i3artow i3aller, xaos, Roomba and 3 others like this.
  16. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Which to me means that once he becomes consistent with his open shots, he'll be unstoppable.

i3artow i3aller and fchowd0311 like this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think it's a psychology thing. When he's contested and making a difficult shot there is no pressure of being embarrassed from missing a wide open shot. So this means zero hesitation and just relying on pure muscle memory.

When he's open and shoots there probably is a split second delay of if he wants to take the shot from fear of missing. That can alter form and make you not rely on muscle memory as much.

#177 fchowd0311, Mar 21, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    HardenReturns and Roomba like this.
  18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The next chapter should be about how when Green gets 30 point games they are now routine enough that it doesnt warrant much conversation anymore.

Bo6 and fchowd0311 like this.
  19. i3artow i3aller

20. NewAge

NewAge Member

He can get a shot off, that's true and is valuable. In this day and age, however, the good teams are the ones that create easy shots. I am not buying yet that a team identity based on Green getting off contested shots is going to amount to something.

GotGame15 likes this.