1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 5: The Green Revolution Falls

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 8, 2023.

1. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bobby often formulates bad opinions because he is not very smart. He doubles down and quite often embarrasses himself by saying anything to try to prove his point.

cbass, TheRealist137 and majicdonjuan like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

National media is a lot more positive about Sengun than Green whether deserves or not. Trust me on the his.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Jalen doesn't even have his driver's license yet and he's averaging 22.1 ppg in the NBA.

harold bingo and xaos like this.
  4. maj21

maj21 Member

If there’s anyone that could be called our franchise player, it’s Jalen Green. He’s our most important player with Jabari being 2nd. You’re delusional if you think otherwise

xaos, tmacfor35 and cbass like this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Dead ass last that year in offensive box +/-
    Domantas Sabonis
    Look at him now

#206 Shroopy2, Mar 23, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Wish his shooting % was the same or better that's the only knock I have on his sophomore season.

xaos and Ancient Moabite like this.
  8. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

You're objectively wrong if you think Jabari was our second most important player, in literally every measurable way. Like, virtually everyone with a pulse understands this.

I would say your a bot, but even chatgpt with no pre-prompts knows better.

9. NewAge

NewAge Member

National Media praising Sengun is a good thing and he deserves it, we should all be glad about it. I haven't seen National Media being unduly harsh on Green, he's just underperformed for now and is not getting the praise. I haven't seen _hate_ in the National Media. Dearon Fox, Colin Sexton, those are examples of undeserved hate in recent years, but not Green.

If Social Media has turned hateful on Green as you said in the other post, that's not good, but what do you expect of social media, it's mostly garbage, anyway...

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I agree but let's be honest: if we had even a mediocre PG like Ricky Rubio running the offense don't you think Green would have shot better? Seems everyone other than Jalen has at least that.

We gave someone a shot at being the PG this season and he was the only one on the roster that had a chance of doing it reasonably well. By the middle of the season (after trying for 112 games) we decided it's better we run the offense through our 20 yr old C. If we're acknowledging Porter is not the player we wanted him to be (i.e. on running the offense for everyone), then we have to acknowledge there must have been some negative effects on the team. Reasonable assumption. I'm not blaming KPJ, I just think it was a bad idea. I think the better idea would have been to bulk him up and play him as a 2/3 and let someone else decide when he should shoot.

If you look at all the players' shooting percentages, you will see that practically no one has met expectations this season when it comes to 3pt shooting. I think to be honest we saw a 2-3% dip in 3pt shooting across almost the whole roster. If Green shot 2% better on 3's, we'd be talking about a season in which Green significantly elevated his FT rate and became a 36% shooter on a high volume of 3's. That's a tremendous step for a scorer at 20 years old.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  11. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

His efficiency is the main complaint about Jalen. Him taking a bigger role is a huge factor here, but that is also the main reason for his higher stats in the other areas. Year 3 will be really interesting - he should be used to his bigger role by then and he will be playing for a way more „complete“ team. In part because all our young guys will be a year older and longer in the league, and because the focus of the organization will probably be on winning and we will sign FAs for that (and add another high draft pick). But so far I am really happy with him and I hope, that he can take that next step (in terms of efficiency and playmaking).

highpost1388 likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Who needs a car if you could run to the office?

13. maj21

maj21 Member

I’m talking organizationally and for the future, yes he is our 2nd most important. Please tell me who’s ahead of him, besides Jalen. They would trade any player in this team before those 2

peleincubus likes this.
  14. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

I don't get too wrapped up in efficiency when the system/team composition itself is really inefficient. I think you're right about year 3 giving us a true glimpse into what his future will be like. All I wanted this year was more flashes of brilliance and we got that in spades from him so I'm happy.

Rocketeer likes this.
  15. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Spring Green has come once again!

Can't wait for Spring Green in the playoffs.

xaos, highpost1388 and Rocketeer like this.
  16. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

People talk about how the game tightens up in the playoffs and refs don't call fouls, but I've never really seen that play out. I think you have to be able to play through contact and get guys in foul trouble in the playoffs. Jalen's ft rate on drives and Alpi's ability to draw fouls in general really makes me excited to see them go to work come playoff time in the future.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah he has higher usage and flat or worse efficiency even with his relatively recent surge.

I don't mind being a Green fan but this stuff is just pure delusion.

18. fchowd0311

Last year his ts% was 54.7%. This year it's 53.7%.

Considering he upped his ppg by more than 5 ppg while having considerably more defensive attention on him, a larger percentage of his fgs made being unassisted and self created, while also having a worse spaced roster around him such as replacing a high level offensive vet big in Wood with a 19 year role in Jabari ,.I consider that progress and improvement.

What really would have concerned me if he dropped his efficiency while still hovering around 17 ppg.

#218 fchowd0311, Mar 24, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    Bo6, BigMaloe, Mathloom and 1 other person like this.
  19. fchowd0311

https://pca.st/episode/63f19ed3-245c-4b4a-a288-3ffa1973261f

Scrub to the 8 minute mark. I've listened to these two for a while. I know Verno has been a long time hater of the Harden era Rockets and KOC is always the most level headed analyst who utilizes context compared to the rest of the NBA media.

They say some interesting things about Jalen Green specifically.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They will hop on any international stars' bandwagon.

Could be the Turkish, Kosovo, Albanian Wemby next time.

The market is just huge.

Prince Casspi was the only Israeli back then and was quite revered.

fchowd0311 likes this.