1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 4: The Green Revolution

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Oct 16, 2022.

?

How many wins will Jalen lead us to?

1. 20-29 wins

125 vote(s)
    59.5%
  2. 30-39 wins

61 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. 40-49 wins

11 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. 50-59 wins

13 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I liked how even though he was 0-7 on 3s he was good on 2s.....and he never put his head down.

I like that even with 7 turnovers he still played D and got 7 assists.

I think he and KPJ are going to be good together for years as they learn to trust their teamates and play together.

Happy happy happy with 5-5 in the last 10, and major improvement.

Busting all the stupid assed narratives around here......and twitter daily - PING !

DD

2. conquistador#11

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Green is much better than last year when he was already a very good 19 year old. Not sure where inconsistent trajectory is coming from. He’s pretty much right on pace for a future star.

4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Timidly worrying about Efficiency + shot selection chart analysis + Let me follow Silas system and watch others attempt to do what i was brought here to do = L's against mediocre or even keel teams/ asswhippings from the contenders

Taking over stretches + Damn your analytical acronyms+ just play + sheer will = Ws against some pretty good teams

Red / Green Pill

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Is Jalen back to being a bust this week???

[​IMG]

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Guess I'll be negative nancy... but first, might as well point out the obvious positives:

- Much better passer
    - Much better at getting to the line
    - Slightly better at developing a bag on his drives
    - This all in spite of a system that still sucks and typically doesn't maximize spacing

But the negatives are worrying:

- He's now shooting meaningfully worse from 3 than last year. It's still a small sample size, and he's probably shooting better at this point in the season than he was at this point last season... and as recently as 2 weeks ago, he was shooting better than last year, but now he's solidly worse

- His ts% is 53.5%. Even with the solid increase in fts, this is worse than last year. This is THE MOST important statistic for JG, imo. If you can't be efficient offensively, its hard to build a championship roster around that.

- Part of this is because even though he's better at having a bag on the way to the rim, its still pretty limited, and he misses a lot of mid range twos, as a result his 2pt% is worse than last year.

- He's worse defensively. This is borne out in the advanced stats, and the eye test. When he wants to be better, he seems to get better... the whole team is bad defensively which doesn't help, but he (and KPJ) are at the forefront of that problem.

- His turnovers are way up. That's not good. It's hard to express this strongly enough. You can't be BOTH inefficient scorer AND a high turnover player.

If you sum it all up... he's not as good as he was to end last season (by far) and is similar to last season's averages, but worse efficiency and higher turnovers, on more volume (hence higher scoring average), playing as bad defense... BUT, indeed, a clearly better passer.

What does this all mean?

Well, to me...

* Silas can't make JG a great 3pt shooter. But imo a lot of it STILL is system mismatch with the type of player he is. Having his handles is nice to have, but gets him in trouble almost as much as it gets him out of it. He doesn't need to be doing so much crazy stuff, which should reduce the turnovers... EXCEPT he does have to do it, cause there's not really an offensive system to speak of.

* He clearly "FEELS" like the guy that can be THE GUY. We all want him to take over from KPJ as the core piece of the team, which isn't a comment on shot attempts per game (as JG leads there) but more on "engine" - we think he SHOULD be the engine.

* But there's an insane amount of work to do. AGAIN, you can't be low fg% and high turnover as a high volume scorer. That gets you at best case Steve Francis esque player.

Overall, I am disappointed in JGs sophomore season. I'm not a guy that's going to sugar coat things, sorry. Trae Young put up 30/9 his sophmore season with a 60% ts%. LaMelo put up 20/7/7 with a 55% ts% his sophomore year. Let's not talk about Luka, lol.

It's not the end of the world. The guy could still be an MVP candidate at his peak one day. his sophomore season is on par with / better than Devin Booker's sophomore season. But I want more than Devin Booker - now and in the future.

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Pretty spot on

8. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Not worry about the three point shooting. It’ll come around. He’s a streaky shooter this far. Ja was an even more inconsistent shooter from the perimeter than Jalen at this point in his career, really until this year for Ja) and it hasnt stopped him From being the guy. I guarantee defenders won’t sag off of Jalen and dare him to shoot the three

Mathloom likes this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

His 3 pt shot technique seems to have regressed to its original form where he seems to be loading up. Very funky release in my opinion. I’m no expert on this, but he needs to get back in the lab. Without an efficient and consistent 3 he will be a good player but not all world which he has the potential to be.

10. MystikArkitect

His turnovers have gone up as his assists have gone up. He's running the offense much more than he did his rookie season. Jalen right now is a much much much MUCH better player than at any point last year.

He's getting to the line more and not settling for 3s. His 3 may be off right now but his finishing around the basket is absolutely pristine and only a handful of players have the dexterity around the rim that he does (i.e. almost no one else because there isn't another player that compares to him athletically).

His defense is hit or miss but his on the ball defense is drastically improved as well. He still loses his man from time to time and needs to be much more aware here. He also just needs size. He still has a kids body.

My only concern with Jalen at this point is his passiveness at times. I wish he was a little bit more aggressive. Still defers to his teammates (like the KJ failed lob attempt). His shot will start to fall, he's just expending energy elsewhere at the moment. If Jalen doesn't at least sniff Top 3 in MVP voting and 1st Team All NBA at some point in his career I'll be shocked. Right now he's the best player in his draft class by *a lot*.

BigMaloe, Mathloom, Carpe82 and 2 others like this.
  11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Totally agree about efficiency being the most important thing for Jalen. And his overall efficiency this season is absolutely not where I was hoping it would be, though there is still plenty of time for that to change. But a positive on that end I would point out is in roughly 40% of his games this season he has absolutely exploded for some ultra high efficiency/volume games that highlight his future potential to be the #1 scorer we are hoping for.

harold bingo likes this.
  12. JayZ750

The stats and eye test don't back that up to me. In fact, he is ABSOLUTELY worse than he was the last month plus (March till end of season) last year, and undisputably worse than his last 9 games to end the year, absent being a better passer.

Again, this is exaggerated. He is taking more 2s, but also more 3s. He's taking more 2s than more 3s, but has increased both and isn't particularly "not settling" imo. He definitely gets to the line more. Yay!!

But he's shooting 67.5% at the rim. Last year he shot 68% at the rim. He is somewhat better at the 3-10ft lane jumpers/floaters/etc. Actually decently better so I like that.

But he still doesn't have much of a bag going to the rim. Its pure speed.

Only when he wants to, which is far to infrequently, is his on ball defense drastically improved. When he's angry, or being embarrased, etc. Even then, lots of dumb mistakes still. Part of this is on coaching.

Concern is not a word i used or will use. I'm not "concerned". I just want A LOT more and am underwhelmed relative to what i hoped for.

I blame A LOT LOT LOT LOT LOT of it on the system and the backcourt running mate, etc.

For example, he's only being assisted on 33% of his 2 pointers, and 56% of his 3 pointers. I'm happy he can create for himself... but every shot seems hard. These are both lower than last year, too. For example, he's great with Alpi in PnRs, but since KPJ struggles with Alpi never seems like there is any continuity or flow for anyone. For example, JG would LIKELY benefit from an offense with more motion, but we never run that.

Regardless, at the end of the day, the point remains. you can't be inefficient AND high turnover. Even if you are averaging 4 assists per game lol.

Carpe82 likes this.
  13. JayZ750

Yes, i agree. Consistency is obviously a big thing for super young players. He definitely has it in him, but has to be more consistently good/great and less consistently off.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean he isn't averaging 4 assists while his turnovers shot up. He's averaging around 6 since this increase in turnovers. Makes sense.

15. JayZ750

On the season his apg average is up 54% and his to average is up 65%.

That's not good.

16. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I was thinking more like 241.5, but it depends on his hydration habits.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

That's precision......hope he doesn't have diarrhea on the day they weigh him. Lol

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

So poor shooting for two weeks? That's a little thing that is known to basketball experts as a "slump." :D

Get back to me when it's two months. Except it won't get to that point, because Jalen's too good a shooter for an extended slump.

To be fair, though, many of your other points are much more valid.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

For the love of god, we're tired of telling you guys it's just the schedule. We're tired of seeing you build an insane narrative around it. He's going to go on a tear the rest of the way and it's not because he did what you thought he should do, it's only because the schedule got easier and the team got better at executing the team concepts.

Right now, playoff-calibre teams are throwing their best defenders at Jalen and the strategy is to make him attack the rim or take too many mid range shots because they think he's weak. They are doing that by crowding his 3pt shot. Guess what happened? Didn't work, he sliced them up inside and we went 5-5 the last 10 games. They weren't expecting that. Ball is in their court.

Don't come around here and act like it came out of nowhere or that he followed some advice and you were within logic to fantasize a narrative about why he's averaging such and such numbers. Don't act like the outcome is uncertain right now. It's 100% certain. He's going to improve his 3pt % tremendously and his turnovers will go down when the opponents decide they can't bleed inside points and FT's anymore.

He knows what he's doing. Green fans need not worry.

20. JayZ750

yeah, but im analyzing 24 games (more than 1/4) into the season. It all plays together. Otherwise there's no point in analysis until the end of the season.