1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Chapter 4: The Green Revolution

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Oct 16, 2022.

?

How many wins will Jalen lead us to?

1. 20-29 wins

125 vote(s)
    59.5%
  2. 30-39 wins

61 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. 40-49 wins

11 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. 50-59 wins

13 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. Salvy

Salvy Member

Chapter 4 1/2: The Great Depression

jiggyfly, GotGame15, DeBeards and 6 others like this.
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

A theory to y green is slumping is bc Jalen green friend isn't able to play and hype him up.

Silas is causing chemistry issues.

Futron likes this.
  3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He started off the first few games really well, but since the Jabari argument he's been awful lol.

He needs to play at his own pace, he seems like he's in a rush these last few games and obviously pressing. He also needs to learn how to initiate contact on his drives instead of going full speed trying to avoid it and throwing up a really tough shot.

His midrange game seems so forced, I want to see the advanced dribble moves he was using end of last year and the first few games of this year to get himself space and in a rhythm. He'll probably turn it around but his shooting slump is affecting the way he approaches the game offensively and that's concerning.

He is making huge strides defensively since last year though, weirdly he was still a net positive in the +/- last night.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Hes just playing like a young kid.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  5. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thought this was a good video showing different ways Ja Morant attacks various defenses out of the pick and roll. I see no reason why Jalen can't attack in a similar fashion as their speed and athleticism is comparable. I hope the Rockets coaching staff are giving him a healthy dose of film study regarding ways that he can alter his attacks out of the PNR.

6. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

I'm assuming this offseason for Jalen will be all about mid range game, floaters, and contested layup package. He's got a lot of work ahead of him but he obviously has tremendous room to grow he isn't anywhere close to his ceiling which is scary.

7. Futron

Futron Member

He needs to bring the mid range back

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  8. i3artow i3aller

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

I think he's just easily getting frustrated by mounting losses. That's the price you pay if you have a player that really hates losing. He's got to go through this and I'm sure he'll figure it out. The offense is not functioning well right now and it should be spaced better. When we have a non-shooter on the floor we should have a plan in place better than our C just chillin in the dunkers' spot. Jalen can definitely benefit from getting better at PnR, it will help lift his interior scoring when his jumper is off. He should be getting to the line over 5 times a game this season.

We're supposed to be a bad defensive team but we should be doing better on offense. That's partly Jalen and mostly others. We're ranked 28th on offense at the moment and we should be closer to top 20. Doesn't help that we've started the season off on a tough schedule.

I hope at some point this season the coaches get a leash on the midrange shooting. This organization knows better than to let that drag down our efficiency and the players are leaning on it way too much.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

a concerning issue I’ve been following for a long time now

rookie year:

-11.3 net rating with him on the court
    -4.3 net rating with him off

so far this year:

-16 net rating with him on the court
    +3.9 net rating with him off in 151 minutes

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Probably would improve a lot of he faced mostly opposing bench players

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

SMH it would be nice if every once in a while during the tank they would at least give the fans glimpses of what the offense could look like when playing to each players strengths. Preseason games fooled me bad this year.

harold bingo, O-dawg and NewAge like this.
  13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

His game did not develop in the offseason. He is no better at finishing, passing, playmaking, or defense. In some ways, he's regressed.

Concerning for sure.

LeDakota likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Lenght is very different, and Moran is a step up athletically.

15. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Length is about the same wingspan wise, both at about 6'7" with Jalen having a higher standing reach as he's a few inches taller than Ja. I don't feel that Ja is a step up athletically, actually think that they are comparable athletically. I think where Ja is superior is handles, body control (especially in air), and shot diversity (creativity). Ja can kill you with a floater or attacking the rim, Jalen needs to take notes on his drives. He drives into the teeth of the defense far too often, needs to mix it up.

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. bmelo

bmelo Member

They are equally quick and springy. But Jalen isn't that strong, lacks core strength that Ja has at excellent levels. His handle also is way worse than jas

LeDakota and daywalker02 like this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

18. NewAge

NewAge Member

he’s absolutely not being used properly. 1.33 ppp for cuts, but only 1.4% of possessions??? In preseason he had great movement off-ball, Steph-like, even. Cuts, curls, etc…
    Both JG/KPJ eating possessions, trying to make plays is just horrible. But both are good off-ball players.
    KPJ had some incredible catch-and-shoot numbers, IIRC. As a playmaker he’s not there. Can sauce quite well, but can’t get to the hoop and finish.
    In that Vecenie video, one point I agree is the KPJ/Fernando play was somewhat good. But without Fernando there is absolutely no reason for him to eat on so many possessions.
    Bottomline, they need to break this philosophy of "this is #3 and #4’s team, they get to eat first" ASAP. It’s setting the rebuild back by a year or more…

LeDakota likes this.
  19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

bad offense usually ends up with the ball being dumped to their back court to create out of nothing. There's a reason why we are pretty much last in assists per game.

How many times we see the offense just die, the ball gets dumped to Green for him to just force his way into 2 defenders in the paint and then just miss a wild layup/getting blocked.

Green was more efficient last year because he was like the 4th option a lot of the times on offense, he only took good shots in rhythm last year. Now he's the guy that has to salvage bad possessions, which no doubt just ends in terrible shots.

Easy, daywalker02 and Verbal Christ like this.
  20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Porter and Green have shot OK (a combined 35.4%) from 3-point range, but they’re a combined 46% in the paint and a brutal 10-for-48 (21%) from mid-range.

MOAR midrange!!!

harold bingo likes this.