1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 2: Welcome to The Jalen Green Experience

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Feb 27, 2022.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

2. vator

vator Contributing Member

Very disappointed by the shooting display yesterday or lack thereof, but I thought he played a fairly good overall game. He was out there competing and made some good plays. Bad shooting nights happen to the best of them so they should be expected from JG. I liked the way he stepped up and didn't hesitate or shy away from taking that big shot at the end even though he was ice cold. Lots of guys would've shied away from that moment, but he still had that irrational confidence in himself and his abilities that guys like him need to have even when things aren't going well. They always think they're going to make the next one.

He's not going to light it up every night. It was frustrating to watch, but I'll give him a pass considering that was his first bad shooting game in the past 8 and only his 2nd poor shooting (sub 40%) game in the past 10. In the month of February, which covers those 10 games, he still boasts averages of...

16.5 points on a FG% of 44.3% 3P% of 38.6%
    2.5 rebounds
    2.7 assists
    1.4 steals
    1.5 turnovers

This is including last night's massive shooting clunker. I'll take those averages all day.

DreamR, Dobbizzle, eliefor3 and 4 others like this.
  3. alethios

alethios Member

So KPJ should stick to passing, but he's not really a PG more a combo guard and is more likely to try and create his own shot than to set up the offense.

burlesk likes this.
  4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I love Jalen's game. He does not try to force things, whereas anyone else would be forcing bad shots considering how many shots he average per game.

THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE IS....HE DOESN'T FINISH AT THE RIM AND HE GETS BLOCKED TOO OFTEN.

eliefor3 and burlesk like this.
  5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Jalen's game is really dependent on how well the other team defends the paint. Against very good defensive teams with a big centers, he is rarely able to get a layup off in a half court setting. He will get his fast break lobs, but he mostly just jumps into a wall on half court sets.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is not Michael Jordan, he can't take players on or go through them because he is legitimately WEAK in the upper body.

He needs a floater, a better Euro step, or a stop and pop from 10 feet.

DD

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is much better Kevin Martin, it remains to be seen whether he is more Gold or more Fool's.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Cant wait for chapter 39.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is not better than Kevin Martin at his peak - yet.....KMart as fool's gold as he was (and yes, I coined that phrase)......was an amazingly efficient offensive player....just not a player to build around.

DD

GotGame15 likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

He's going to be up and down the rest of the season, but I think he is on an upwards trajectory. It does feel like the overall game has slowed a bit down for him, although It's still very much TBD how high that trajectory goes. How Jalen handles the off season and his second year production will be telling. I'm not going to hold him to some unrealistic sophomore leap (like JA) but it's going to be obvious if he didn't work on his body and his game over the offseason.

Right now, he just doesn't have the diversified game or the IQ/experience to work the angles. He's still not good defensively, but the awareness is coming along and the effort is there. He moves very well with his burgeoning ability to snake through screens and he recovers very well to contest. He's not going to be a Trae Young level defender unless he losses the effort.

GotGame15 likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Martin was not that athletic and fast, he was the better shooter. Each one got his own upside.

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Man you must be 200 years old if you coined “fools gold”

BonziWellsGOAT, Moe, DreamR and 8 others like this.
  13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Martin was better in almost every aspect, I hope he can score as efficiently at Martin one day.

Martin was a walking bucket for us, he just couldn't do anything else

GotGame15 and daywalker02 like this.
  14. CXbby

CXbby Member

This sounds just like Green, minus the walking bucket part

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I remember Martin's problem was his tendency to disappear in the 4th quarter. That's bad if you relied on him to be your first scoring option.

Also, his efficiency came mostly on his ability to get to the FT line. His herkie jerkie shooting style (a.k.a. flopping) gave him lots of FTAs. When the refs stopped calling those fouls, he became no more than a good shooting role player.

DreamR, apollo33 and TheRealist137 like this.
  16. xaos

xaos Member

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah but I think it's mainly because Martin couldn't dribble to save his life. When the offence bogs down in the 4th you can't just hand him the rock and let him operate and make plays.

But when he did score on slashes and moving off the ball, it was actually elite efficiency. We talking about 23 ppg on 60 percent TS. Which is unheard of in 2010 unless you were a super star.

I actually think Green should mold his game after the great part of KMart, which is flopping for fouls, hitting 40 percent from 3, constantly moving and cutting to get open looks. They have the same body type and Green is way more athletic and already has better vision.

Easy likes this.
  18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Lol yeah pretty much. Green is a better athlete and slightly better vision, but that's about it

19. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Scared of what? You drinking your own c*m? What the **** are you even talking about you strange, c*m drinking weirdo?

20. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

He is going to need to get stronger and create separation. I think he is having a hard time adjusting to the league bc this is probably first time in his life that he can't just out jump everyone.

daywalker02 likes this.