1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 2: Welcome to The Jalen Green Experience

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Feb 27, 2022.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

2. xaos

xaos Member

I know I'm stating the obvious but this is going to help tremendously. Still has another 10-25 lbs to add as he goes on deeper into his career but this and his off ball shooting was the #1&2 things I was hoping to see from Green this off season. Great news

3. i3artow i3aller

JG4 Experience Incoming

BigMaloe, xaos and Dobbizzle like this.
  4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’m not sure how much more weight he needs to gain going forward. He should continually be getting stronger while also maintaining his agility and speed. Just size for the sake of size is pointless. The strength is what’s important.

5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It's less about the weight and more about what kind of muscles he is putting on where. I agree that the main thing is to affect his natural agility and burst as little as possible.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

JG about to blow up this season

the disrespect this summer has been real

from a media plant like Herb Jones getting buzz to be placed on All-Rookie 1st Team instead of Green…to SI player rankings not even having him in the top 100 while everyone else taken top 4 in the draft was considered a top 50 player…to ESPN ranking him like 20 spots lower than anyone else taken in the top 4…to a BR redraft having him 6th behind the likes of Josh Giddey

[​IMG]

clos4life, BigM, DatRocketFan and 9 others like this.
  7. i3artow i3aller

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Easy likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Looks like Green has refined his jumper a bit, very noticeable difference from a year ago.

11. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I see what you did there and I appreciate the pun

12. MystikArkitect

The take foul is gone. If refs start giving Jalen the fouls at the rim he's going to leave his peers in the dust. Literally.

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yup. He already lead all guards in dunks as a 19-20 year old rookie.

What's funny is seeing his dunk highlights and seeing numerous grown NBA vets be like "nope, not about to get postered by a 19 year old" when Green starts his gather for his dunk attempt and just move out the way.

Boii and Believe It! like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3639612/2022/09/29/jalen-green-houston-rockets-interview/

This past summer, Mike Hill, Green’s trainer and longtime friend, spent a lot of time working alongside him to prepare him for Year 2.

Hill sat down with The Athletic to discuss Green’s second half of his rookie season, how they mapped out their offseason prep, breaking down film and more. Some parts have been edited for clarity.

[More at link]

Jalen obviously impressed us with his explosion last season, but going forward, how do you want him to take the next steps with his athleticism?

Going left. I want him to be more explosive getting to his launching pad. So like a right to left crossover, I want two dribbles hard left so we can get to his takeoff. Similar to how Kobe (Bryant) and Paul George took off. So you can see that with a lot of drills to do. Like, a killer crossover. I emphasize pounding it hard to the left so you can just launch.

You mentioned ball work. Can you get into some of what you did?

Keeping everything sharp and being efficient. Not over dribbling, finding your sweet spots. Throughout last season, he got more confident with his mid-range so I told him you should average at least six to eight points a game off mid-range shots. That’s three to four shots, you know, just finding that middle game. If he has that, you’re looking at a 25, 26-point scorer.

Porter is a talented scorer himself. Any emphasis on Jalen’s work off the ball? What did you see in that realm last season that he can improve?

Continuing to catch and shoot. Growing up, he was primarily a wing player and he naturally progressed to having the ball in his hands. That’s what he does best from high school to USA Basketball. From (under-16) to (under-19), he was mainly off the ball and he was very productive. In (under-17), he won MVP because he knew how to play off the ball the right way. Back cuts, front cuts, finding open windows. He’s a natural off-ball scorer and progressed year by year, if you look back at the film from his freshman year until now, with finishing and skills.

His work ethic has been compared to that of the late Kobe Bryant. What about the work does he love so much?

He actually gets sick when he doesn’t work out. True story, you can ask him. When he doesn’t work out and he’s not being productive, his body just doesn’t react. He has to constantly feel better. I mentioned last year, J was very hard on himself. That natural chip on his shoulder is basically where we’re from and he loves proving people wrong and himself right more than anything.

Aside from training him, you’ve known him for a long time and are extremely close to him. How have you seen him grow as a person from this time last year until now?

Last year, he was just trying to find himself. I feel like this year he’s more secure with who he is on and off the court. He knows his game. He knows where he’s going to get his spots at. Last year, he was just trying to figure everything out. Those first 16 games were like, ‘How can I score?’ The first 16 this year, he’s gonna know how to score and he’s gonna do it more efficiently.

15. Rokman

Rokman Member

Looks like now the media is trying to make the players look like Monsters. I guess screaming lunatics wasn't weird enough.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. xaos

xaos Member

Looks smoother for sure. Next step is avoid the dip

Sometimes it's better to isolate some of these mechanical issues so it's obvious hip positioning and single motion shot was priority over the dip.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see that gone by seasons end -- which it's hard to work on form during the season

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

20. Newlin

Newlin Member

Does Green play defense?

People always talking bout his offense. What about the defense?