1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 2: Welcome to The Jalen Green Experience

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Feb 27, 2022.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

not coming at you at all. ill take rare to completely non existent as enough. jabari and mobley will be an interesting matchup to watch as well down the line.

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

My bad, It's just that if anything less than praise is said about Green, everybody comes for my head.

And for some reason, Mobley keeps catching strays.:D

I am not pinning for Mobley, but the disrespect needs to stop.

clos4life likes this.
  3. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Mobley talk not going away.

5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Is that real? I laughed but would be highly disappointed in the parents

6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

BigMaloe and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes, it's real, and you know the momma put her up to it.

clos4life and King1 like this.
  8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

The entire twitter post was a Cavs fan saying Mobley was much more efficient than Green and was proven wrong. You jumped in with some non-sequitur talking about defense and rebounding?

In fact you didn't even make a single comment regarding the content tweet you quoted, which was only about efficiency on offense. Nobody was arguing Green is even close to being as good of a defender or rebounder as Mobley.

You seem to take a personal slight at anyone mentioning anything remotely negative about Mobley which is weird. Because all that tweet did was comparing shooting percentages of both players.

Cavs fans were just talking nonsense about Green being inefficient and was proven dead wrong, that's all there was. Not sure where this contributing to winning, defense, rebounding, being a franchise player or whatever else you are babbling about.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I jumped in on the tweet that was posted here does not matter what else was said in the tweet thread.

I take a slight with anything that's wrong or does not tell the entire story, I would do the same with Green.

Saying all Mobley does it convert shots at the rim is not remotely negative, it's flat out false, it's like saying all Green does is shoot 3's.

So because Cav's fans were saying things that are untrue, ts ok to say untrue stuff about Mobley?

How about we debate with actual facts and stop cherry-picking things.

Why must there even be a side with Green and Mobley?

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Looks like he has been working on his handles. He seems way more fluid with them.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

A couple other comments from this video - that AJ Johnson kid looks decent for such a young kid. Had a couple of decent shots, some nice drives, and made at least one long pass one handed across court fairly easily. He's got some tools for sure.

A little disappointed in Marjon Beauchamp - was hoping Houston ended up with him but he looks like he has fairly limited offensive instincts/handles/shooting. Still rooting for him because he has a hell of a story of putting in work and overcoming(I root for underdogs - it's why I have been a Houston fan for so long and haven't jumped on a Warriors or Lakers bandwagon) but dude still looks like he has a ways to go to be a legit NBA rotational player.

Scottie Barnes wasn't particularly impressive but he does look a lot like the guy who tries to set up his teammates to thrive so I can't say I was surprised but it jives with observations of him in the season that he looks a lot like a top tier player but not necessarily like an "alpha" and that's fine when he is playing with other/better players but will that be a problem if he is a franchise cornerstone/best player on his team who defers to his teammates almost to a fault?

...Christopher and Green looked like the best shooters out there by a mile. I like that they seem to have a healthy enough relationship to remain friends and yet try to one up/push each other. Josh doesn't have the athleticism of Green but the more I watch him, the more I can see shades of a bulldog Kyle Lowry type of player which is to say he can make up for some of the lack of explosiveness(relative to Green) with strength to create space for his shot.

Something else I noticed about Green specifically besides smoother handles is he was switching up a bit between the one and two motion shot forms. I'm curious if that is intentional of if it's just old habits dying hard. If you'll recall he started last year with a 2 motion form(had a pause at the top of his shot where the shooting motion came after the jumping motion) and then the coaching staff worked with him to help him adopt a more efficient one motion form so he could be more reliable from deep/retain form as his legs got tired throughout a game. That cold streak Green had mid season was likely a result of him learning a new shooting form mid season and by the end of the season he had not only adapted to the new form, he also started to reap the benefits of the increased efficiency that necessitated the change in the first place. I'm wondering if the intent is for Green to always use the one motion form moving forward or if it's a situational thing or even a way to keep defenders off balance if his release changes according to which form he takes....whatever it is, I'm here for it. I'm still a bit shocked that despite all the promise Green has shown, many NBA pundits still think he is the 4th or even the 5th best player out of that draft. No disrespect to Barnes, Mobley, or Cade, but if guys like Durant or Curry are the best players in the league because they go through stretches of being actually unguardable and Green seems to be picking up these unguardable moves, I'm putting my money on Green in the future.

12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Additional footage

Believe It! likes this.
  13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You do know there are stats that actually track this right? You can't just make it up.

You can look at either basketball reference or statemuse

Evan Mobley's average shot distance is 8 feet, 36.4% of his shots are 0-3 feet, 30.7% are between 3-10 feet. Of this, he converts 76% of his shot between 0-3 feet. Everywhere else is unremarkable. He is also assisted on 65% of his 2s, and 96% of his 3s (not that he is converting many).

Green's shot chart on the other hand is clearly much more diverse. Basketball reference has more information, but his average shot distance is 16 feet. 48% of his shots are 3s, the rest are split between near the rim shots (which he converts well at) and mid-range shots. Most importantly, only 44% of Green's 2s are assisted, and only 66% of his 3s are assisted.

Saying Mobley converts most his shots near the basketball is factually correct, saying all Green does is shoot 3s is factually wrong.

BigMaloe likes this.
  14. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

#2414 i3artow i3aller, Aug 8, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    Verbal Christ likes this.
  15. i3artow i3aller

16. i3artow i3aller

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's a f'ing sick fit...

Verbal Christ likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How does any of that refute what I have said?

You don't even realize you made my point for me 8 feet is nowhere near a layup or putback and less half his shots are

And less than 40% of his shots are within 3 feet which again makes my point.

Nobody is arguing that Greens shots are not more diverse, that's never been a debate.

So you think 8 feet is near the basket?

Do you think an 8 foot shot is a layup or putback?

No its not factually correct, you said gave the actual numbers and the numbers are 36.4%. Of his shots, that's below half, if you did not know.

Thanks for making my point for me and looking like a dumbshit at the same time and I did not need to do the research.

[​IMG]

19. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I mean Evan Mobley is 7 feet tall with an over 7 foot wingspan. He could Probsbly shoot a layup from 8 feet. He can also probably dunk from 8 feet out.

#2419 RHU525, Aug 10, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    jiggyfly likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Which makes it more impressive that Green is within 2 percentage points of Mobley in 0-3ft fg%.

In fact I don't know of any rookie 19 year old guards in the past that had a 68% fg percentage inside the paint.

BigMaloe likes this.