1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapelle getting canceled?!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LosPollosHermanos, Oct 7, 2021.

1. VanityHalfBlack

guess I don’t get the context since I don’t even watch that show nor Got lol.SNL needs to get axed along with the Simpson’s

Jontro likes this.
  2. VanityHalfBlack

Easy on that take. :p

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, if he isn't, there're only about 3 or 4 on the list near him. I always think of him as a George Carlin-type. Some of the stuff he says and jokes about make you sit and think. It isn't just about acting like a dumbass or insulting everybody or cursing his head off for laughs. I honestly think he's in my top 2 or 3 greatest comics ever. Off the top of my head, I probably only rank Carlin with him. But I could be forgetting somebody ...

4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

It's pretty damn funny provided you've seen at least a few episodes of House of Dragon, which I have :).

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  5. VanityHalfBlack

you ever watch 90s def comedy jam? I could think of maybe 4 or 5 ahead of Dave along with Martin Lawrence and @Another Brother

Invisible Fan likes this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Martin Lawrence was funny, but there were a lot of people I thought were "just" funny that I don't think could compare to Carlin, Chappelle, and, oh yeah, Lewis Black. I mean, I thought Bernie Mac and Mitch Hedberg were hysterical, but still wouldn't put them in that class. I guess for me, it's about the kind of comedy as much as it is how funny it is. I kind of like comedians that can tell stories, take current events and make you think, present stuff intelligently/intellectually, and then on top of that, just have you rolling. I also like comedians that are just flat-out stupid and act like dumbasses, too, but ... lol. The only person I would put in the latter class anywhere near the caliber of my favorites would be Jim Carey at his peak.

Oh, and of course, Another Brother... goes without sayin'... ;)

7. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

who would those be because Dave Chappelle is the GOAT. his monolague was great. says the n-word and has the entire crowd laughing, but then says "don't blame Blacks" and crickets. like that fugees song, Dave really knows how to add a "motherf***er" so the ignorant folks hear him

8. Slyonebluejay

Slyonebluejay Member
    Supporting Member

I am a little older but Richard Pryor has to be up there also. I know he was an insane drug addict, but he was also a genius. Take the language out of his material and it's still great. I remember George Carlin did a joke about the comedian health race between him and Richard Pryor. Awesome stuff

9. AkeemTheDreem86

It's the old spiritual archetype of the Jester. He can speak truth to power without getting his head chopped off because he understands human suggestion through the practice of self awareness. Artists also help you question the nature of your reality this way, but, in a way, comedy is harder because you don't get another medium with which to play the trick.

He's highly intelligent, and ACTUALLY empathetic (people misuse this word a lot). Not only is he perhaps the greatest to ever do it in the modern era, he's only getting better.

10. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I am with you, Pryor IMHO is the all time GOAT, he was so ahead of his time and his story telling was awesome........on his special after he burnt himself up is one of the all-time great shows. Dave is in the top 5 for sure. Lenny Bruce is before my time but the older generation talks highly of him as inspiration

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I used to listen to Pryor when I was younger, and I thought he was hilarious, but I'd have to listen to his stuff again. As a kid, I couldn't listen to that mess anywhere without getting in trouble, and when I got older, while it was funny, it never had me completely rolling like some of the guys I mentioned. He may be in that second tier for me, but I guess I could move him up - not sure.

I know Pryor's a legend in comedy, but there are other legends that do nothing for me and far less than Pryor, who I think is at least really funny. For example : Lenny Bruce... struggled to smile at most of his stuff that I've ever listened to. Bill Hicks... seemed like he'd pull a gun out at a show and shoot himself or somebody else. I swear I'd probably leave depressed after one of his shows. I remember asking myself "why are these people laughing at this?" listening to one of his routines. That made me sad since he started in the Houston area, I think. lol. Redd Foxx -- another legend, and I am one of the biggest Sanford & Son fans on the planet having watched every episode damn-near a million times, but his stand-up? I get nothin'. Just a bunch of cursing, sexual innuendo, and corny limericks. I think a lot of these guys are historically significant more than they are all that funny as stand-ups, but that's just me.

I think Chappelle is better than all of these guys, but it's comedy and we all got opinions, and we're all probably right and wrong. :D

#131 Dr of Dunk, Nov 17, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    tinman and Slyonebluejay like this.
  12. the shark

the shark Member

Got to go with Pryor as the GOAT.

tinman likes this.
  13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Today’s sensitive losers wouldn’t appreciate his genius

Astrodome and the shark like this.
  14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

How about Cosby?

15. tinman

Supporting Member

People who try to cancel comedy
    Are called

losers

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He was probably in my top 2 tiers - I absolutely loved his brand of comedy. For a while, he was my among my favorites, but after those allegations, it's tough. I'd still put him in my top or 2nd tier, though, just looking at comedy. His brand of comedy is different than what I usually like, I guess. Cosby the comedian was one of my favorites, but Cosby the human -- not so much.

tinman and durvasa like this.
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

I watched Fat Albert growing up, that show was awesome