1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Chapelle getting canceled?!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LosPollosHermanos, Oct 7, 2021.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

By now, anyone going into a Dave Chappelle show or sitting down to watch his special should know what they're going to experience/hear. I've been a big fan of Chappelle for a while now and I knew what to expect when I watched The Closer special the other night. Sure the one joke about Asians getting beat up by African Americans (something along the lines of it's like how his immune system was fighting COVID) made me, an Asian American, cringe but I wasn't outraged and wanted to cancel the guy because I know he has a filipino wife and his kids are half Asian. Another reason is that, once I got through being shocked by the joke, I realize he wasn't making fun/light of the situation Asians were facing in America for the past year--he was poking fun at his own situation with COVID. I think this is where most misunderstand Chappelle--he's not your typical comedian. He has layers to his jokes, not all of the time but definitely moreso than other comedians. If I'm watching a Chris Rock special, I already know it's going to be about the plight of the African American male or family. If I'm watching Jo Koy, I already know it's going to be about his experience growing up as a Filipino mixed person. But with Chappelle, the stories he tells, the jokes he makes...there's depth to it.

Again, just like anything in the world, you have to know what you're getting into if you are going to be a participant. I'm not a Trump supporter so I'm not going to go to a Trump rally, listen to what they're saying, and then be outraged and try to cancel those people. Like whatever idiocy they might have spewed out pales in comparison to my own idiocy for putting myself in that situation in the first place.

BigShasta, superfob, Sajan and 8 others like this.
  2. Roscoe Arbuckle

Amazing my 22 year old son doesn't know who this is.

steddinotayto likes this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

His show was epic. The racial draft...lawd jesus this would not go over well in 2021

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This. This right here.

Please don't lump hypospadia in with trans people. That's just laughable. (I know the OP didn't mean anything ill by it). Doing that, alone, throws the argument set forth out the window.

Hypospadia, for the most part just means the faucet opens in the wrong spot.

5. Roscoe Arbuckle

Nobody has ever come down on hermaphrodites. Not sure what your new word is.

6. Two Sandwiches

Not sure of I know what you're getting at here...

But what I'm talking about is in no way a hermaphrodite, as the OP alluded to. @LosPollosHermanos was graceful in his response. It's simply a deformity that has virtually no effect on the person that is born with it.

7. Roscoe Arbuckle

I'm closing in on 50 and had never heard of that deformity until now. Which means it's nearly non-existent.

8. Two Sandwiches

I know someone with it.

Didn't know he had it until I had known him for like 8-10 years and his mother randomly brought it up in conversation. The point being, it has nothing to do with being transgendered.

9. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I mean who casually brings up their past medical instances where their junk was dysfunctional and perhaps required surgery to get the right fluids going through the right pipes where they should be? Fatty's never had that drunk bar conversation on 6th street conversing with a stranger outside across a picnic table smoking Marlboro ciggies. Therefore it doesn't exist. What the **** man. People equate their anecdotal experiences as universal truth and it's kinda baffling to me.

tierre_brown and Yung-T like this.
  10. Two Sandwiches

Not sure what you're getting at? I can assure you the conversation did happen. I'm very close to this family, and I have a medical background, as does my wife. Wasn't an odd conversation to have....

Whether you believe the conversation happened or not, and I assure you that it did, equating hypospadia to trans people is about the same as equating people born with club feet to the trans movement. It's just wrong, plain and simple. Or, for a less silly comparison, it's like saying that a woman with a larger labia is more likely to be trans.

11. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I didn't doubt you. Probably should have quoted to be more specific. I don't know enough about sexual health dysfunctions. Sounds like some pipes have skin blocking where the pipes should be continuing on but for whatever reasons didn't and requires surgery. Perfectly plausible to me.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  12. Two Sandwiches

Typically, it's where the urethra opens on the underside instead of at the end.

Sorry to derail.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think JK Rowling has some points. If sexuality is fluid for some people, gender can absolutely be fluid for that minority. Non-western cultures, some from native American tribes, or Judaism have classified gender as non-binary ranging up to five gender types.

For all you parroting Daves 2 genders line, trans usually distinguish sex as what you're biologically born with and gender as the social construct.

But anyways, Rowling made the case that if gender is fluid, you don't throw the baby out of the bathwater when Daddy's little girl is a tomboy through high school. Trans here are as reactionary as gays were when sexual fluidity was used as a wedge that "it was a choice". It's a very similar emotional tension.

Dave's routine doesn't share any of that nuance. He plays the ignorant 'everyman' much like John Stewart would claim 'hes only a comedian' when cornered with a point.

It works because most people dont care

14. Roscoe Arbuckle

It's just that Y chromosome in genetics that ruins this mindset.

and it's Jon Stewart. So I'm assuming you're still in high school.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trans comedians support Dave Chappelle
    And also watched the special
    Unlike blade runner fans on Clutchfans

@EddieWasSnubbed

Jontro likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

What about the people who keep yapping their old mouths about being offended by jr and NOT watching it ?

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

That's the thing, I know people want to believe that he wasn't attacking, anyone, which I said I'm not sure, because comedians are provocateur, though but his commentary did side with JK Rowling and TERFs, which are very vicious to trans-people in general. You don't necessarily have to attack anyone or group, directly, but if you side or agree with said party. Such a person, if they are an entertainer, co-worker, or family member may harbor particular views about said person. You may not know what a TERF is in a full acronym, but the term is more than a buzz-word, and such a group of people often have certain hatred or aversion for trans-people. The internet is...doing anything different than it normally does.

So, may I ask , what was the joke, or punchline and do you think the audience actually knows what a person who is a TERF actually does?

18. body slam

body slam Member

Any publicity is good publicity. Its now the #1 show on Netflix. I'm curious how many non Chapelle fan watched the show just because of all the buzz around it? I consider myself a fan of his and I had no clue he had something new coming out until the outrage hit. Controversy sells.

tinman likes this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

Being "cancelled" is just a new marketing tool... almost like "too hot for TV".

Everything is self promotion in the social media age, from Chappelle to the SJW who monetize their outrage.

London'sBurning, tinman and Sajan like this.
  20. tinman

Supporting Member

Chappelle makes fun of everybody
    In the Closer he does the same

it’s just people who don’t watch his material get all angry with their fake outrage

like I said , the people who are offended by comedians don’t like comedy

I mean people were trying to cancel looney tunes and the muppets last year
    Those people need to fall off the cliff chasing the road runner

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.