1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Channel 13's Allen tops poll of local sports anchors

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Wow, it surprises me since Berman gets all the inside scoops....

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2390017

Nielsen ratings are the ultimate judge of popularity for local or national sports television personalities, but it's interesting to hear what people say when asked to name their favorites.

That's what we did as part of a telephone survey of 504 residents of Harris, Fort Bend and Brazoria counties, conducted in mid-January for the Chronicle by pollster Richard Murray of the University of Houston's Center for Public Policy.

The poll posed mostly general questions about sports in Houston. But we also asked respondents to name their favorite local and network sports anchors, play-by-play announcer and analysts. Respondents were asked to name their favorite and were not given a list of choices.

Of those who had a favorite local anchor, Bob Allen of KTRK (Ch. 13) was named by 27 percent, followed by Gifford Nielsen of KHOU (Ch. 11) at 15 percent, Chris Wragge of KPRC (Ch. 2) at 9 percent and Mark Berman of KRIV (Ch. 26) at 4 percent.

Tim Melton, Bob Slovak, Craig Roberts, Steve Mark and Calvin Murphy also received votes, and about one-quarter of respondents cited channel numbers (6 percent for Channel 26, 5 percent each for Channels 2 and 13 and 4 percent for Channel 11).

Astros voice Milo Hamilton was the favorite local play-by-play announcer at 27 percent. Nineteen percent listed Rockets analyst Calvin Murphy in this category, followed by Rockets play-by-play voice Bill Worrell at 13 percent, Texans radio voice Marc Vandermeer at 8 percent and Rockets radio announcer Gene Peterson at 7 percent.

Among local analysts, Murphy, Worrell and Nielsen were cited by 9 percent, followed by Astros analyst Jim Deshaies at 7 percent.

On the national front, the poll's message is that everyone loves John Madden, even though people aren't exactly sure what he does.

Even though his role is that of analyst on ABC's Monday Night Football, Madden was the leader for favorite national sports anchor (12 percent), analyst (25 percent) and play-by-play announcer (40 percent).

Among actual anchors, Chris Berman of ESPN was the leader at 9 percent, followed by Stuart Scott of ESPN at 8 percent. Madden's ABC partner, Al Michaels, was the top-rated play-by-play man who does play by play at 10 percent.

2. scv_rockets

scv_rockets Member

Where does Craig Roberts work now? I know he used to be the Sports Director at Channel 2 until he was replaced by Wragge. Did he retire, leave or got the axe?

He was my favorite sportscaster in Houston when he was at KPRC.

3. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Wragge is a pretty boy. I like Allen because he is old school. Berman comes on too early for me to watch so Im not a really good judge on him.

4. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Allen has more TV personality, but Berman is the best sports guy in town.

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Bob Allen sucks. Period. I think he ranked the highest in this poll because he speaks to the lowest common denominator.

Bill Ennis, where are you now that we need you the most?

Oops...forgot...he's deceased.

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I wonder if Chuck George was ever voted Houston's most popular gay weather forecaster...

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Bob Allen is a Himbo. How in the world could Berman not win this going away? I guess if he came on a 10 o clock newscast instead of a 9, more people could see this.

I do admire everything Bob Allen does with Special Olympics though. Nothing personal, Bob.

8. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

It depends what you are basing it on. If the question was who is the best "anchor" Berman should finish last. He is horrible as an anchor. As a "reporter" that's a different story. His true calling is the Chronicle, imo.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

depends...berman gets the distinct privilege of breaking virtually every big sports story....because he goes on an hour earlier than everyone else here.

10. ees

ees Member

Exactly!! Thank you. I was hoping someone would bring it up. Oftentimes Berman is getting the releasae/information/hearsay at the same time everyone else is. Some scoops are certainly his own - but thats because he is a "lurker."

11. ima_drummer2k

It just seems like to me Berman is more thorough. The other 3 stations just throw in the sports segment as a after thought right at the end of the newscast. They just run through some scores as fast as possible and that's about it. Now, they're even throwing in a commercial break in the middle of the segment!

Berman's segment is a good 10 minutes long.

12. ees

ees Member

Is that really Berman's decision or the actual stations though?

13. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

The other stations only get 30 minutes for news at 10. Fox gets an hour. Channel 13 gets an hour at 6 and Bob Allen has 2 sportscasts. I'm not sure what the total time is on those combined. And I don't think Berman's segment is 10 minutes long...it only seems that way.

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The results of the poll cited seem to just about mirror the percentage of viewership for each of the local stations. If the most people in Houston watch Channel 13 , how could Bob Allen not be voted most popular? Do you think people switch around between stations much to compare sportscasters? I don't.

15. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

How is Gene Peterson not first?!!?!?!?!??!!?!

Pointless poll.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Wragge wins on the strength of his wife alone in my book.

17. ima_drummer2k

I don't know, I guess I'm biased. I really don't watch the 10 o'clock news anymore because it seems like they all just throw the sports segment in at the last minute. I usually turn on Fox at about 9:45 to hear Berman. Besides, I get all my news from cf.net anyway. :D

Granado's wife is pretty hot too. She looks like Faith Hill. That schmuck married well.

18. Buck Turgidson

Behold the power of incumbency. :confused: