1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Changes to the Rockets Front Office Management

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, May 7, 2003.

1. ACL1

ACL1 Member

ooops. ok. after i read the Newgirl's post i have to reverse the last one. MANAGEMENT SUCKS! good point newgirl.

2. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

Hey I never said that!

Good grief, now I learn my username is the same as a local Houston rapper.

Oh well, at least it adds further ambiguity to the name.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Hey NWO what were you saying before this season with respect to Griffin and Jefferson? I am going to guess you weren't regretting that trade when we started the season. I mean Eddie finished his rookie year very strong and Jefferson didn't do anything special. So I am guessing you were probably pretty hyped about having Eddie then, Mr. Hindsight.

4. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

Originally posted by codell
    Teams with bad contracts:

Miami (Grant and Jones) <- Pat Riley is a bad GM. You know it. And you want our team to be on the level of Miami?
    Boston (Baker) <- Well they just hired Danny Angie, no?
    New Jersey (Mutombo) <- A bargain (especially considering that Mutombo's contract is expiring this summer) compared to Glen Rice, Mo Taylor, Kelvin Cato and Moochie Norris
    New York (Houston, Sprewell, Anderson, Eisley) <- We should surely learn from New York, right?
    Orlando (Hill) <- If Hill's healthy, Magic are East favourites. When we were healthy this whole season, we were lottory bound.
    Philly (Van Horn and McCullough) <- Compared to Glen Rice, Mo Taylor, Kelvin Cato and Moochie Norris?
    Chicago (Rose) <- Didn't Krause "retire"?
    Indiana (Croshere and Mercer) <- Exactly why they wouldn't get past the 1st round
    Toronto (Carter, Olajuwon and Hunter) <- Isiah was gone.
    Dallas (LaFrent and Wahad) <- Cuban has loads of money to overpay guys and we don't.
    Memphis (Dickerson) <- That GM deserved to be fired and he did.
    Minnesota (Brandon and Smith) <- Exactly why they wouldn't get past the 1st round
    Golden State (Fortson and Sura) <- Yeah this is the level we want to be, right?
    Phoenix (Hardaway) <- A bargain (especially considering that Penny's contract is expiring this summer) compared to Glen Rice, Mo Taylor, Kelvin Cato and Moochie Norris
    Portland (Stoudamire) <- GM gone
    Sacramento (Pollard) <- A bargain compared to Glen Rice, Mo Taylor, Kelvin Cato and Moochie Norris
    Seattle (Potapenko and James) <- Wasn't their GM who did those deals gone?

"So thats 18 teams that also have bad contracts like us. Most of their GMs are safe (with the exception of Whitsitt and one or 2 others), last I heard."

So what's your point? None of your teams you mentioned are going for the championships for any time soon. If you don't think we should aim for championship-quality management, well as I said many times, it's your choice.

BTW, the key words I wanted to use are SALARY FLEXIBILITY.

Rockets are stuck with too many overpaid long-term contracts. So they won't have the cap relief or flexilbility to improve like other teams with more salary flexibilitty do. That's why teams with salary flexilbility are/will be better than us.

Houston Rockets aren't very good now and won't be very good for the future either. So why retain those who get us into this "not very good"? Why is everyone so afraid of CHANGES?

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

Newgirl,

So according to your insight and astute observations, Boston, N.J., Orlando, Philly, Indiana, Dallas, Minnesota, Phoenix, Portland and Sacramento are not trying to compete for a championship any time soon? 4 of those teams are still in the playoffs and there is a good chance that 2 of them will end up in the finals. When you have time, you might want to call those teams up and remind them that they are not trying to win a championship so they can just forfeit the series and go on home. ;)

Thats how many people build championship team by taking risks. By being proactive. No team, unless they have a Shaq or Duncan on their team, competes for a championship by sitting back and not making deals or signing players to long term contracts.

Can not field a competitive team without salary flexibility? Hmmmmm ....last I checked, Dallas had one of the least salary flexible rosters in the league and are of the favorites to win a title. Oh wait .....I forgot. Dallas isn't competing for a championship this year. There is no doubt that teams with salary cap problems can and do compete quite well. Our team can still improve despite this.

The Rockets aren't going to be very good in the future? Are you making this assumption because of what you perceive to be "bad management"? Well since our management is indeed staying and we aren't going to be very good, then I guess some of you will have to find a new team to root for. :)

Its not about being afraid of change. Its about not cleaning house just because of 1 disappointing season. Our players are young, give them time.

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Umm, why don't you go through my old threads, robbie? Most of the time, I said he was an average player. AVERAGE. Nothing big. Through all the news that summer about EG, we were all looking forward for his play to help this team out. I wasn't all "Mr. Hindsight" like you were when we got him. But so far, he has done very little. I still stand by what I say: The Rockets screwed up.

None of us wouldn't of known then, but now, you can see a big difference in the two. On a long-term basis, if the Rockets don't physically and mentally develop EG into a quality PF, he's going to be someone's backup for a while. He needs to get out of the immaturity phase and become a man on this team. STEP UP, EG!

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

TIME...Mobley 5 years Francis 4 years Just how much time does it take?
    Do you think that we might make just a few changes and at least get rid of Moochie and Rice?

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

And our two big men are 21 and 20. This team's success will depend more on the development of our big men than on our guards. You can get away with a weak backcourt duo in the West, but not a weak front line.