1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Change might be coming....

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SidDaKid, Jul 15, 2014.

1. SidDaKid

SidDaKid Member

@SpearsNBAYahoo: Silver said the NBA is considering a mid-season tournament, possibly in Las Vegas.

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>RT <a href="https://twitter.com/GwashburnGlobe">@GwashburnGlobe</a>: Adam Silver said the league is considering the idea of a midseason tournament, similar to soccer. Interesting. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/nba?src=hash">#nba</a></p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statuses/489214913626132480">July 16, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Can someone explain how such a thing would work? Weren't we considering shortening the season?

3. moose

moose Member

I don't watch much soccer, how does a mid season tournament work?

4. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

If it works similar to FA Cup or Champions League I'm down for it. But idk how the players will like it. Could bring more wear and tear on the athletes.

On the flip side it could allow for an earlier start to the season, while allowing players on the bench who don't get PT to get more of it....

This of course leads to bigger NBA rosters which means more money in cap room.

This actually would be awesome.

5. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

If they structure it like best teams in each division from previous year compete in a tournament for an NBA Cup that would be cool. Then get 2 teams from each of the powerhouse leagues in the world (outside NBA; greek teams/asia)... could make the NBA ALOT of money.

If it was lets just say 16 teams.... make 4 groups. Top two teams from each group advances to quarters.. then semi then final... I am down. Gives teams something extra to fight for.

6. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Don't see the point outside of revenue.

7. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

Does that mean you can win by losing?

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You can't win and lose in soccer, especially not in the tournaments.

I don't think it is a bad idea. At the very least, good for young players and other players trying to get into the league as that is who teams will play.

1 person likes this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That's actually the #1 goal of professional sports I think. But what do I know.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So would this mean more freakin' games? The season extending into July? Good lord, isn't the league making money hand over fist as it is? With a new TV deal expected to give the NBA a gigantic increase in revenue, do we really need this? Would it count for anything other than an "exhibition?" If the games do count toward the regular season, would they reduce the regular season games to equal the number of games played in this damn thing? What's the point? Inquiring minds want to know. Hell, the league plays too many games as it is.

11. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

82 games, 2 months playoffs. Mid-season tournament is the last thing the league needs.

12. Asian Sensation

It's already in place. It's called the ASG.

13. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Not a soccer fan, can someone explain what this entails? I have no clue what you guys are discussion, win by losing? Top two from what? Lol.

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

What an awful idea.

But yeah, NBA makes a lot more money, so I can easily see why they'd explore this.

15. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

I bet the name of the trophy will be "The David Stern Cup".

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I don't consider the FA Cup or any of the domestic cups a midseason tournament. Rather they are tournaments that take place throughout the season. Unless this is just labeled incorrectly it's not the same thing.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I watch soccer but never heard of midseason tournament.

International competition does go along with national league duties. Midseason is when teams have vacation, then go on training camp, have test games (friendly games)

no midseason tournaments IIRC
    Maybe Futsal tournaments that certain ballclubs are taking part in. (some small indoor soccer)

18. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

I'm all for this, not sure how it would work though.

19. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Thanks! So the tournament would be in the off season in addition to the reg season/playoffs. Not sure more games would be good for the players.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Soccer has a no-playoffs round robin season. And they have various tournaments alongside it.

Unless the NBA is willing to do away the playoffs or cut some of the regular season games, it's not a good idea.

A while ago, I saw a proposal to use a mid season tournament to determine draft order, but forgot how it worked.