1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons offended how the Rockets treated him in free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 14, 2014.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Well, that contradicts your own words. You cannot rate one player as a 7/10 and another player as a 6/10 and say one is very good and one is average. And the "sky is falling" laments are just getting old. We've seen this movie way too many times- and it's not as if we're watching The Godfather, it's like we're watching Weekend at Bernie's and we have to see Da Dakota dragging around the corpse of (INSERT NAME OF FORMER ROCKET PLAYER) over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Please, have some perspective. Wait to see what happens. If Parsons becomes a perennial all-star, gloat all you want. Until then, please stop being:

[​IMG]

2. BabyBatterBoy

BabyBatterBoy Member

An "average" player who damn near put up identical numbers when comparing to Parsons. Not to mention Ariza can shoot the 3 better and plays better D. Ariza at 8 mil per yr was a steal and he is a better fit on this team. Thank god we don't have a moron like you as GM. Otherwise we'd be paying a glorified role player 15 mil a yr and have no flexibility for the future. Parsons would have only made sense if we got Bosh. Get over it already!

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I have already said I will wait to see how the season progresses, but I am still pissed off that we lost a key piece when we could have had him for under 1m.

It was a major gaffe - and I hate Ariza's game I think he is just not that good.

DD

4. Remii

Remii Member

It's more than just Ariza "trying" to match Parsons numbers Baller... It's the intangibles. He was the glue and the offense ran more smoothly with him on the court.

I'm not buying Ariza's offensive production last year until I SEE him replicate that again. But defensively he's better. I just believe McHale is going to have to do some tweaks to the offensive style of play... If he can.

5. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

It can be argued that after LBJ, Durant, Melo and maaaaybe Paul George.....the next 10-15 small forwards are average

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

We desperately need the defense more than the offense, in my opinion. This is not a Dame Lillard kneejerk. We seriously, seriously need defense. Yeah its fun to watch the Rockets score 110+ points per game, but our defense is absolutely horrendous and we have watched a complete scrub like Corey Brewer drop 50+ on us. WTF?

Slow the game down, utilize the pick and roll more, and have the perimeter players put some damn effort on D so we don't have Howard leaving to bring the help D and having his man completely wide open for easy layups. With the addition of Daniels and Papa whatever his name is, we should setting off-ball screens to get these guys open as well. We need to be a more efficient team and not just a volume team on offense.

7. dandorotik

Sure, you could. I could argue you point-for-point and you'd win some and I'd win some. But I also don't go around making an extreme comparison between 2 players and then completely contradicting it .... WITHIN MINUTES.

The main reason San Antonio has 5 championships and we have none since 1999 is a coach named Pop and 3 stars who have survived and thrived. Very few teams have won a championship since the 2000s. Lakers, Pistons, Spurs, Heat, Mavericks, Celtics. I think that's it. Out of 30 teams. Combination of luck, great players (celtics) and/or unified teams (Pistons, 2014 spurs).

Team deserves the benefit of the doubt. They scored significantly the last 2 years, and made a POSSIBLE wrong move this year. If we get the 2013-2014 Ariza, and Parsons stays at his current rate, we actually do better due to defense. If not, then gloat all you want. But management has earned our patience with the moves of the last 2 years. If we don't make the playoffs, or exit in the 1st, then we can call for their heads. But I'm going to at least see where we're at come opening day, and then through the season. They deserve at least that.

1 person likes this.
  8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I agree with that.

DD

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

We're all going to be laughing when Parsons' back finally completely gives out on him.

10. downbytheriver

Luckily no one cares about your opinion - the fact you sit on a computer all day and post doesn't mean it's a relevant one.
    I always thought morey was the guy shooting 100 arrows without much accuracy trying to find the bullseye then throwing fancy stats out to get him off the hook. Didn't like the guy before this season. But HE'S ABSOLUTELY MADE THE RIGHT DECISION in not resigning Parsons, who is a bench player at best on a real contender AND YOU CAN'T HAVE A DEFENSIVE LIABILITY NEXT TO HARDEN. The guy isn't turning into Larry Bird overnight, fans here are just too attached to the familiar. Why are we acting like we didn't lose to a mediocre POrtland team in the first round?

Got rid of Ling (despite losing a 1st) and sent off a bombshell contract to Dallas - great offseason for morey so far. Only complaint is he could have gotten actual talent for Asik. Then again,I don't know the market. All that's left is upgrading the PG position and getting a better PF , but there's plenty of time left for that.

11. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I read somewhere that was a concern for some teams giving him a long contract.

12. dandorotik

Well, then, why rate him a 6/10? That makes no sense. Again, other people have criticized the move, but you're not making sense here- and you're using faulty comparisons/logic to try to support your position.

Rockets went from zero playoffs for 3 years to the playoffs. Mission #1 accomplished. We captured 2 of the better players in the league. Mission #2 accomplished. We didn't get past the 1st round in 2013. Mission #3 NOT accomplished. Problem was defense- and you just can't trade Harden, so you get Ariza and see how Bev/Jones improve- and maybe add some more pieces. Mission #4 is to make a serious run in the playoffs this year, at least 2nd round if not more. If we don't do that, then out with McHale and we go from there.

13. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

ONE team went out of their way, becasue of a rivalry, to overbid for him.

In a way, it should flatter Houston. He wanted to stay, and liked the team. But with a foot out the door he looked back at us and hoped we would grab his shoulder.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I don't wish that on him, BUT just in terms of physics, yes, his back has no chance in supporting that massively expanded head of his.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think the point Dave 78 made was not that Morey was wrong in his judgment about Parsons' value. It's that Morey needed to be more sensitive about players' ego, just like the coaches did.

At the end of the day, Morey and Cuban were born from the same kind of mentality in their approach to team building. "It's a business. Nothing personal." Cuban is just a lot more brassy. I guess because Cuban has that kind of the same ego players have, he kind of knows better how to stroke them, that is, until he has finished with using them.

16. dandorotik

Like I said, if Parsons becomes a star and/or Dallas somehow wins a 'ship, you can I-TOLD-YOU-SO all day long. But let's see at least. OK, back to work.

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

If Dallas has a better year and Chandler is a key piece, that is still going to piss me off.

:)

DD

18. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

who cares if they have a better year. if they don't win next years trophy, then they are a loser too.

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The difference is that Morey can't hide his "ruthless" and calculating ways behind throwing stacks of money at players like Cuban can.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Heck, his back doesn't even have to go out. If he doesn't massively improve, he'll be overpaid.

Dallas ADMITTED they overpaid.

I loved him as our glue guy. But we'll find another glue guy.