1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons offended how the Rockets treated him in free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 14, 2014.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Dirk and Monta took almost career low shots last season and still accounted for more shots than Harden/Howard.

How is Parsons supposed to get MORE shots there? Not one person on the Mavericks team outside of Monta/Dirk took as many shots as Chandler did in Houston. If they are going to retool their offense to where he is taking 15-17 shots a game...well...good luck!

Although it is worth noting that they lost Vince and Calderon who accounted for 20 shots last year. Calderon was more efficient and Vince was a better 3 point shooter.

We'll see. I agree with BBob though. Stereotypical millennial attitude and it is a turn off.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Those two teams have gone to the finals the last two years.

This team didn't get past the first round two years in a row with Parsons.

Just stop DD, please.

3. langal

langal Contributing Member

All GMs are in a difficult position with conflicts of interest. They manage a team and their duty is to support and improve the team. But doing so often means breaking up parts of the team or letting popular players go This can inevitably hurt team (and fan) morale. But it is part of their job.

4. Remii

Remii Member

Rick Carlisle may have said it as well. I'm sure Cuban wouldn't have paid Parsons if Carlisle didn't want him. Like Mr Baller said _ Parsons has gotten better every year and that coach may be good for him.

Sometimes a team may pay a player for what they think he can become, or what they can develop him into, or how they think he will fit with their team _ not just necessarily based on just his #'s or performance from the previous season.

OKC: Harden isn't worth that contract.
    Houston: Dragic isn't worth that contract.

Just because Parsons may not be worth the contract to us... It doesn't mean he won't be to Dallas.

Just the same _ it's a lot of chatter amongst Rockets fans about a player who is no longer here who isn't worth the money.

5. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

I would like to see a poll of NBA execs that would have paid CP that much money. He's a good player and I believe the Rockets had every intention of matching any offer but Dallas overpaid. Time will tell if CP is worth it.

6. justtxyank

To clarify, Houston thought Dragic was worth the contract he got. The problem wasn't Dragic's worth, it was that the Rockets didn't have any stars. Morey didn't think Dragic was a star (and he's not. Last year was his best season by far) and so he didn't want to lock himself into a player he couldn't move until he had his stars.

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Parsons is definitely a "me me me" person after reading all he has said. I can't say I blame him. It's not his job to worry about anything else except his own career. But, what he fails to understand is the Rockets are trying to win a championship in the next few seasons. They can't sit around and wait on Parsons hoping he develops into a franchise player. Parsons doesn't really care about winning...which is fine. He cares about his max contract and how he wants to be viewed as a franchise player. He's not at the point in his career where he would sacrifice for the sake of the team to win. He's at the point in his career where he is selfish because he hasn't had his payday yet. There's nothing wrong with that. But, it's not in alignment with what the Rockets are trying to do now. He had to go based on what he said. If he would have signed, then the Rockets would go nowhere the next two or three seasons. And, then the max contract guys would all bail to the next team. We would have wasted having Harden and Howard on the Chandler Parsons Project. At least we have some cap room to make that next significant move and we have a player in Ariza that can make up a lot of what Parsons gave us for much cheaper.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If only Morey knew that he was going to get James Harden 3 months later...what could have been.

9. Solaris

Solaris Member

“I was under the impression that Houston was going to match and they didn’t,” Parsons said. “I had a conversation with Daryl leading up to it expected him to match. There’s no hard feelings. He had to do what he thought was best and I had to do what I thought was best. He basically told me, ‘You earned this. You worked extremely hard. You’re going to get paid a lot of money. Get the contract that’s best for you.’

“I did that. That was a disappointing thing. The whole time they told me to sign the best contract for your career, but know we’re going to match and you’re going to be back here.’ Then I signed the contract and it was are they going to match and they were undecided.

10. justtxyank

LOL Parsons. They told you to go get the contract and they would match. Instead you got a contract designed intentionally to make it painful to match.

This is like Lin feeling like it wasn't his fault the Knicks didn't match his offer. You accepted a deal that was designed to make it impossible you fools!

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

If you look at history, the majority of players usually hit their ceiling by their 7th or 8th year of playing NCAA-NBA basketball, collectively.

Trevor Ariza and Tayshaun Prince, two strikingly similar players to Parsons, are perfect examples of this principal.

Neither one of those guys, at their zenith, are/were worth what Parsons is getting paid (especially when you consider the contract stipulations).

There's really no way for the Mavericks to spin this. They are paying a non-star star money in the hopes of giving Dirk one last shot at a ring.

Desperation is a stinky cologne, and Cuban is slathered in it.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Even if you are right, and I don't believe you are - the fact that it is only for 3 years makes it much more palatable.

Cuban got over on Morey - his team got better in the short term window left in Dirk's career.

Smart smart move, I really wish he owned the Rockets.

DD

13. Christopher

Christopher Member

The Rockets chose to let him become a restricted free agent, which saw him sign a deal around 15 time higher than the one they could have very easily locked him into....and he's offended by what they did?

I'm glad this guy is gone.

14. justtxyank

Mark Cuban broke up a title team to set himself up to go star chasing another year later. He burned multiple years of Dirk's window.

You are killing Morey for breaking up a 1st round knockout team by not paying Chandler the max. Kind of weird that you would want a guy would break up a team that won the damn title for the same reasons.

15. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I think this is better for both teams, Ariza fits the Rockets better along side of Howard, while Parsons should have a better game with Harris & Monte running the open court.

But gush, that amount of $$ for Parsons? I don't think he is worth anything near that.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

If I'm wrong, then it would be one of the first times in history that a player has ever bucked that trend. You're really willing to bet Chandler Parsons is that once-in-a-generation player that improves significantly beyond his 7th year of organized, non-amateur basketball?

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You read the quote from Parsons, read the details of the offer he signed from Cuban, and it makes Parsons look like a complete idiot. Oh, and I have yet to read a public "Thank you!" for the Rockets organization letting him out of his contract a year early, something they certainly didn't have to do. Orders from Fegan, no doubt. Don't want to tarnish the glow from his latest Golden Boy.

Dallas is right up the road, DD. You can watch their games on LP. Enjoy yourself. I happen to disagree with you. Cuban and Morey both got played by Fegan, with the clueless cooperation of one Chandler Parsons.

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

He is offended that the team is always looking to move players and shop around - he is not the first guy to say that the DM everyone is an asset approach is offensive to players.

The Spurs move their fringe players, but keep their decent to good core players.

Splitter, Leonard etc....they add folks off the scrap heap and develop them - Green, Diaw, Mills.

The Rockets flip everyone other than Howard and Harden - it is a much different approach and does not produce loyalty.

Even Scola talked about it on his way out......chemistry is important, how players feel about a team is important - they are not machines, DM's management style is pretty poor in regards to the human side of the equation, IMO.

DD

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

He's also the same guy that looked at Steve Nash and said "I don't think you're worth the money" and probably said "You'll never be a two-time MVP in this league".

Cuban has deep pockets but he knows little about talent evaluation. He buys in on known commodities (e.g. vets) and have struck out plenty of times holding onto players that could have been flipped for a better player (I'm looking at you, Beaubois).

20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I don't know where you are getting the 7th year of organized basketball, but lots of players have improved a ton after their 3rd year in the NBA including our own Hakeem - who peaked after 10 years in the league.

Parsons may improve simply because he has a different role, much like Dale Ellis did, or Jermaine O'neal - where they move and get a chance to be more involved.

At the end of the day - I think Parsons should be in Houston, and having to watch Ariza on this team again - is terrifying to me, he sucks as a basketball player.

DD