1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons is the reason the offense was so much better last year...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jan 3, 2015.

1. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

I'm continuously amazed at how the majority couldn't or weren't willing to see this coming especially if we maintained the same offensive system. The more and more I watch this team ever since Morey took control of our offensive philosophy the more disenchanted with it I become. I don't know if it is a Morey issue or McHale issue or both. All of us outside closed doors will likely never know who is controlling how we play offense. None of our shots in the half court comes easy. We are overly reliant on James creating everything. When defenses double him and force the ball out of his hands our offense stalls and players begin to play out of their comfort zone. This problem is exacerbated when we don't have a second offensive option out on the floor. We thought Dwight could be that when we got him but sadly he hasn't. Last year Parsons was that guy. He wasn't a great creator, but he could still drive, pass, shoot and most importantly keep defenses honest. We don't have that anymore. 30 games in, opponents have adjusted and this slump is the byproduct. Being that we don't have the luxury of a Parsons anymore, McHale needs to devise a gameplan to capitalize on teams taking away Harden. I think putting a player like Canaan and DMO in will help a lot. I've been disappointed every year as a Rockets fan so pardon me if I am not quick as some of you to wear my rose colored glasses. When the playoffs roll around, coaching matters and I fear this year will suffer the same tragedy as prior.

2. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Dragic, Dragic, Dragic.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well this is a Rockets fan forum filled with lots of biased fans. So you'll often see things like that.

I'm sure there were many who pointed out that we'd miss aspects of Parsons' (and Lin's) offensive game, and they were of course right. But, what are you gonna do. Salary cap, etc blah blah. What we could really use is a Dragic (and a PF, though I don't know who we have any chance in getting).

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Parsons was important to the team last year-- Just look at their record in games that Parsons missed. He was a good "glue guy" on offense that filled the roles that the team didn't have other people to fill nearly as well as they did-- cut without the ball, run out at fast breaks, finish at the basket, create some off the dribble (not really from a stationary iso, but mostly against a defense that was already scrambled by other players), making decisions (shoot, pass or drive) without hesitation.

We got guys who can do some of these things, but not all of them.

6. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

It's Bosh's fault.

7. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

we were doing fine until dwight come back...we had a ton of injuries and alot of new players...we are doing fine... this team is a lot better than last year team...thank almighty i dont have to watch him faking up until exaustion....

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

If we ran a offense that actually moved players around to get easier shots to our players strengths then offense wouldn't be a issue. Nothing wrong with have the more defensive minded players if you have a good X's and O's coach.

9. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Wow Really!!! Man you guys just need to freaking stop...

T_Man

10. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Dang give this man cigar.... Someone gets what i'm saying...

T_Man

11. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

We totally need more of those 3/12 starts from Parsons. They would be an instant shot in the arm for us.

13. bmd

bmd Member

The only real difference on offense in the starting line-up is Ariza in place of Parsons.

There was much more movement towards the rim last year leading to many more points in the paint. Meaning, many more easy baskets.

Harden is having to play out of his mind right now just for the team to have the 20th ranked offense in the league. There is a big difference between this year and last year, and the main difference is because Parsons was crucial to the offense last year.

14. photojoe

photojoe Member

Everybody knew that Parsons is a better offensive player. We knew that when we made the switch. We also knew that the Rockets had one of the worst perimeter defenses last year, and were not going to be serious contenders until that was shored up.

Ariza has been struggling, no doubt. Recently, whenever he shoots a three, I just assume that he is going to miss it. It has been that bad. Our need for a second playmaker has been painfully obvious.

However, even with Ariza's recent struggles, I would still take him over Parsons for the added defense. IMO, our teams biggest need now is a playmaking PG. Those seem to be more common than very good defensive wings.

1 person likes this.
  15. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

yes really indeeed there are lot of offensive talent on this squad but they are simply not played (canaan, papa) or not played to their strenghts (DMO) +

i would say all players are underutilized in this offense by being forced to chuck up 3s instead of play true basketball...

no new addition of retention of parsons would help...even if you add dragic and lebron to this roster they wouldnt be much better if you insist lebron to chuck 3s over hands of people...

even if we added up corver his 3 percentage would drop if there wouldnt be set up plays for him to shoot 3s...

16. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

We knew this. Ariza's role is to shoot 3s and play defense. Chandler was a horrible defender last year. I don't let ariza's offense bother me anymore because he's a terrific defender. This team just needs another creator. Ariza finds himself with the ball in his hands at the end of shot clocks with no option but to shoot. This why I think we should go all in for Dragic even if it means losing Jason Terry or Terrence Jones. Bev is just a spot up shooter, I think He would be a better player for us coming off the bench.

17. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

He probably was but there was no way we were going to match that contract. You need to let it go.

18. bmd

bmd Member

I'm not saying they should have matched. I'm talking about the differences on the court and what is missing this year compared to last.

I didn't realize just how big if an impact Parsons had on the offense in terms of getting easy, high-percentage buckets.

19. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

Some of you have lost ur minds. When this team gets it going We will be one of the best teams in the N.B.A. Parson is full of femmininissness and the dallas sadchicks can have his overpaid ass.

20. bmd

bmd Member

Even when they were winning the offense was not great. They were winning because they were holding teams to 94 points per game.

Even holding teams to such a low number, their point differential was low compared to other teams with a similar record.