1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons: Carlisle and Cuban view me as a star and a franchise-max player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Parsons isn't that smart, if he really believed the sales pitch that he's a franchise player.

2. torocan

torocan Member

Franchise player? Okay... this should be entertaining.

I'm trying to think back over the last 2 seasons and I can't really recall a time when he was the focal point of the opponent's defense. There was always either Harden, Howard or Lin on the floor to draw all the defensive attention, double teams, and best defenders.

If Parsons thinks he's a Franchise level talent, good for him. However if that's what he believes, it's not surprising that Parsons and Morey couldn't reach an agreement prior to FA in terms of a number.

We'll see how he does next season....

3. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Spurs also have a culture is like a family. Players who last don't value money as much it seems. This is an area where Morey's asset driven philosophy hurts.

Every argument in favor of this is Parsons isn't worth the contract and cap flexability. There are no realistic example of who the replacment is.

54 games last season with that team. Lin inconsistant, Asik in and out, Jones reguarly beat up by big 4's, no defensive/shooting wing on the bench.

To say the natural improvment of Parsons and the team in general with an improved bench on short term deals, wouldn't have resulted in 58 wins is delusional.

Was Parsons worth it? No. Was being a top 4 team in the West worth it? Yes.

We miss out on an array of big stars, we needed to reasses. If we don't get another max guy in 2 years you can kiss the Harden/Howard championship run over.

Build on what we had or take a massive gamble.

People want to be positive and believe it will pay off, fine. But acknowledge the potential downside and how realstic that outcome is.

4. steady

steady Member

The quote does confirm how highly Parsons thinks of himself, but that for me is one of Parsons' strengths, maybe his biggest strength. It might be delusional ;) , but Parsons really deep down believes in his potential.

Think about this as contrasted to Lin, who possibly might have more raw talent, but was too easily thrown off by criticism. I am going to be interested to see how Chandler does next year.

Parsons' statement that "I want to be a priority" says volumes.

5. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

Chandler Parsons = Tony Romo

6. arjun

arjun Member

Parsons is good but has glaring weaknesses: shooting inconsistency, lack of FTs, defense, health, agility and explosion.

He will be a really good player for the mavs, but honestly...a "max franchise player" HA.

He is creating a lot of hype.

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Parsons isn't that superstar, but there is nothing wrong with being ambitious. He isn't delusional, he just wants a chance to prove he can do more. Lowry and Gogi weren't stars in Houston, either, but both have gone on to carry their teams. I thought we should have matched, but now we'll see if he can live up to his own expectations.

1 person likes this.
  8. Valio!

Valio! Member

Yeah, I was thinking the age thing too. Dirk is like 36. I wonder how much he has left in the tank. Maybe the young, spry Parsons will be what they need. All depends how he adjusts to their system and if he can find his role. I wish him success, but hope the Mavs as a whole fail miserably.

9. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

He's not worth what Dallas gave, good for him for getting paid, I would have also taken the money regardless who was giving that kind of loot. He HAS to say he's a up and coming star. Reality is he's a role player. A guy who hustles, feeds off others, and slahes to the basketball with the best of them. He will never create for himself frequently and his defense will always be mediocre. Have fun in Dallas!!

10. do work son

do work son Member

the mavs can afford to do this because dirk is taking a paycut down to 10 million. they have plenty of cap.

after this season, tyson chandler's 15 million comes off the books, and the only have felton at 4.5, monta at 9, and dirk at 10.they'll still have plenty of cap next year too.

35 million combined for dirk parsons and monta isn't crippling to them, like 48 million for harden howard and parsons would be for us.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Neither were dozens of other guys. Leonard was the outlier that comes along every few years. Parsons will never be that guy, and you're fantasizing if you think he ever will. He's simply not as good a player as Kawhi Leonard.

12. Tonnny

Tonnny Member

His stat is steady up in his 3 years NBA career. What's more is he is the third option in this team only. May not so difficult to improve his stat with hardwork, experience, and more beneficial system. He can also learn a lot from Nowitzki.

13. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

Chandler Parsons = Tony Romo. Cuban got his version of Tony Romo.

Overpaid. Overhyped. Does not perform in the playoffs.

14. downbytheriver

Cuban just wants a guy he can party and have sex with fat chciks... Dallas knows they aren't contending with all the super teams. Lol @ all the ppl overrating Parsons, GREAT decision by morey

15. downbytheriver

C'mon, romo is far more talented than Chandler.

My offseason plan is working -

Rid ourselves of deadweight Lin, parsons who does not fit and acquire a defensive wing and real pg.

16. Tonnny

Tonnny Member

Parsons = Sour Grapes

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

A couple points:

1. What is Parsons supposed to say? "Sorry, Dallas, but I'm seriously overpaid here. I mean, I'm not gonna turn money away, but even I can tell you this is a bit much. Better set your expectations lower." No, Parsons has to exist as the living justification for his new fans as to why the team committed over a quarter of its salary cap to a former 2nd round pick. I don't blame him for his words. The myopic Dallas fans will simply have to learn of his real value by watching the games.

2. Dallas the organization now imitates its owner who is trying to become the next Donald Trump. Donald Trump and Mark Cuban share the philosophy of "fake it til you make it". Donald Trump has gone bankrupt multiple times. Cuban has fielded bottomfeeders before. Still, look what happened last year. He slapped lipstick on a pig in the form of a bunch of 1yr contracts for veterans whose names overestimated their current abilities, and his fans actually bought into the year. This time around, it's the same thing. Talk to any Dallas fan and they actually BELIEVE Raymond Felton is an asset! It's like an entire city with narcissistic personality disorder.

So long story short, Dallas fans were always going to spin tonight's proceedings in a positive manner, regardless of the outcome. Lose Parsons? "Take that, Rockets fans! We gave you a poison pill of a contract! Your own medicine! Try contending with that albatross for the next three years." Win Parsons? "Yes, our very own superstar! You sucker Rockets fans, you could have screwed us so hard but your owner was too cheap to make the winning play. Same as usual. Our owner and coach are WAAAYYY better than yours."

You see the narcissism at work? ESPN has run with the Dallas perspective because it has a vested interest there (ESPN Dallas) and not here (F U Mark Stein). And our own fans have done the same, myself included. The problem is, we can't see whether or not Morey made the right call from a personnel standpoint until the year begins. It'll come down to how well Parsons does, whether or not he can stay healthy, and how many wins Dallas gets with him. Until then, we'll all be left second guessing unfortunately.

I always wanted to match Parsons because I thought his value to us was worth more than his value to any other team, even if that did not approach 15M per year. You can't replace what he brought to our team, or at least you cannot do it quickly. This team will be undeniably worse to begin the year.

It's real disappointing, but it also has nothing to do with how Dallas does. I feel like they will be in for a rude awakening when their year starts. 2015 Dirk won't be 2011 Dirk. 2015 Tyson Chandler won't be his 2011 self. Hell, 2015 Ellis won't be 2014 Ellis (career year for one of the league's most notoriously inefficient players ever). And Parsons won't be able to make up the difference. It's just going to be another lipstick-on-a-pig job by Mark Cuban.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Either Dallas was desperate like we did with Ariza in 2009, or Cuban was sugar coating it to get Parsons to be a traitor, just to screw Morey.

I know the latter sounds like some crazy conspiracy theory. But the timing and the terms of the contract look suspiciously like an intentional ploy to screw up Morey's offseason.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If Howard and Harden cannot offer $13M more in value compared to 36 year old Dirk and Monta Ellis, are these two "franchise max" guys?

One interesting thing about this offseason, especially the Parsons decision, is how little confidence Morey is showing in his two "franchise max" guys and in himself, too-- believing that he cannot build a contender with these two "stars" except by finding another elite level star-- even good to excellent supporting players do not suffice. The fact that he chooses a remote chance of chasing a star in 2015 to retaining Parsons and building a team using tools such as draft pick, TPE, MLE, BAE, etc. speaks loudly of what he really thinks of Howard and Harden as stars and himself as a manager.

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I love just about everything about Parsons game, but I know as of right now he hasn't proven that you can give him the ball and go get you a basket.

His defense has dropped off, but I think on a good defensive tam he won't be the one holding them back.

I just think for a player to be near max you have to be a very good big man or a wing who at the very least you can trust to take his man 1 on 1 and get you basket or draw multiple defenders. Chandler isn't there yet and nothing I saw made me think he is capable. We will see but I think it's highly doubtful his contract is viewed as a positive going forward.