1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons: Carlisle and Cuban view me as a star and a franchise-max player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 13, 2014.

1. DreamRoxCoogFan

I'm interested to see what objective people will think of his talent- He will be playing for Team USA this summer. If he's the real deal, he'll easily make it onto the final FIBA roster.

2. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

Wasn't parsons number two option during 12-13' season? I see parsons being a good player, but essentially he's still not the franchise player he thinks he is behind dirk and Ellis. And isn't rockets system known for inflated stats? Wonder if parsons will continue to avg what he did last season under Carlisle.

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

lin was (or at least he was after the first cpl months post knee injury), and fast paced systems generally inflate the numbers of the role players yes, not so much the stars.

#323 Aleron, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  4. MichaelG281713

If you think Parsons even has a tiny chance of living up to his new contract, you have no NBA knowledge.

He is a role player. Whenever we were forced to lean on him, offensively, he disappeared.

No doubt, he has a much, much better coach. But that's going to turn him in to a max player.

We got Ariza to play his role for 8 mil, while DAL is stuck with his horrible contract. To me, that's two wins. The argument that we could've had him for an extra season, I mean, Ariza fills that void, and we can still upgrade. So it's a wash, if anything. Chandler doesn't make the Mavs a team you're suddenly scared of.

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Shouldn't this be in NBA Dish?

6. j@amc

j@amc Member

On Parsons

Read the scouting report on Papanikolaou - "plays above the rim when he has a head of steam . . . otherwise an average athlete." You can reword that to NBA speak: Moves on D like Chandler Parsons. I love the idea of getting a younger 3-D as well as a more proven 3-D in Ariza.

BTW - Did you see the note about the player with the most corner threes in the league last year? Trevor Ariza.​

We won't miss Parson's offense, and we certainly won't miss Durant & Batum & Paul Pierce & Kawhi & Iguodala - I could go on - just blowing by him or shooting over him at will.

Parsons is clever with the ball and a relentlessly active player. I loved what he brought to our team, but when an NBA squad focused its defense on him, he wilted. Portland dared him to finish in traffic, and he couldn't do it.

If he ever turns an ankle bad - and this year I would expect it - I think he loses half a step. I'm glad we aren't paying that contract.

Good luck Chandler. I'm glad we have some depth at the 3.

7. butterball

butterball Member

He wasn't worth the max. His ego was larger than what he was worth. Parsons was valuable to the team in part because of his super cheap contract. We've replaced him with Ariza who provides us with defense and comes at half the price of Parsons.

I feel like we just fed the Mavs a poison pill. They now have a core of an aging Dirk, Monta Ellis, and an overpaid, untradeable role player in Parsons.

The more I think about Parsons leaving, the more I like it.

8. houactuar

houactuar Member

It's more a fact that melo and bosh told Dallas no. Cuban had nothing left so he made the best deal he could to steal parsons and to hurt his competitor.

Houston still had a shot at landing a better player because bosh would rather play with young stars like harden and Howard than an old mostly used up dirk.

Bosh would have come here, but faced with losing both Lebron and bosh, Riley got desperate and threw in the fifth year and more money to keep bosh.

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Parsons talked a big game last offseason before we got Dwight and he talked a big game in the playoffs but in neither instance did he significantly step up to the plate and in the latter, was really embarrassed by his counterpart. He's got arrogance and cockiness which I think are useful qualities but ultimately he's not as good as he thinks he is. I thought he'd be a Shane Battier like player, and he's twice the offense player Shane ever was, but probably not half as valuable.

10. SS0101

SS0101 Member

This might be the best comparison that has been pointed out yet.

11. SS0101

SS0101 Member

And ironically, that was one of the contracts in Orlando that strapped that Dwight led team which made it hard for the FO to be able to make roster improvements/depth.