1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons: Carlisle and Cuban view me as a star and a franchise-max player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 13, 2014.

1. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I believe Parsons can be the third star on a championship team - but he won't be a real star. Even all-star is unlikely. I believe he deserved 10-12 million a year. He can do everything on the court - but he doesn't really excell at anything. He is a great supporting player. Dallas will have a good team next season.

Calderon
    Ellis
    Parsons
    Dirk
    Chandler

Lots of shooting, a defensive anchor. Should be a playoff team. Should be a first round exit team.

2. photojoe

photojoe Member

Is it bad that I hope Parsons fails miserably at his "star and franchise-max" player role?

Just a week ago, I really liked Parsons and I had respect for the way he fit into our team. Now I'm hoping for him to fail? Funny how things change.

3. CCapps

CCapps Contributing Member

I want parsons to succeed and don't blame him for chasing max money. I mean he was a second round pick. But I don't want the mavs to win anything. And I hope we beat them everytime we meet. But I still want parsons to have a good career. Still feels dirty though

4. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

you are not your thoughts... you are the witness or the watcher of your thoughts...

5. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Just wait until the whole defense focuses on you Parsons. Your lack of ability to dribble, to take your guy 1 on 1 and make everyone else better will be magnetized when you're the number 1 option.

6. Jt29

Jt29 Member

Parsons will be fine in mavs as he is not asked to carry the scoring burden or be the defensive anchor bcos dirk n tyson will do that role respectively. He only needs to score sparingly, be the hook of the motion offence to create hockey assists, some spot up shooting n reasonable defence. Rick carlisle is a great coach, parsons can be the next shawn marion but with better 3pt shooting n FT stroke.

$46 millions for 3 years? Np, cuban can afford it, he might do it just to poke fun at morey.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

Since Les screwed all of us Rocket's fans by doing the Comcast deal I have been stuck with watching Mavs games during the season on Fox Sports SW. I mainly watched when they played the Rockets. Anyway, the Dallas announcers always drooled over Parsons. Seemed kind of odd at the time. I think Dallas has had their eye on him for awhile.

8. SS0101

SS0101 Member

The parallels of he and harden and how they went from third fiddle to franchise player are very similar (except James was the spark off the bench in OKC). However, chandler doesn't have near the skills/offensive ability that James has. I'm not so sure this ends well for him if they really think he is a "go to" player.

With all that said, he has way more help in Monta and Dirk than James did when he first arrived.

9. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Oh, now I see why.

10. cloudng8

cloudng8 Contributing Member

NBA dish news now?

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

After Dirk . . . who is the Second priority?

Parsons will be ok . .. but I dunno about excelling
    T. Chandler is not a low post threat
    he is rebounding and defense . ..
    Dirk works from the outside in . . .where does Parsons work

Rocket River

12. qwertzy

qwertzy Member

I agree with morey, parsons is nothing more then role player you can exchanged him for any other starting sf

13. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Is that worth $15 mln a year? I highly doubt it. Plus he was never going to get those type of touches here to justify $15 mln. I'm happy for Chanlder, but I don't see him getting that many more touches with Dallas either, between Monta and Dirk.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

All the players similar to him GH,NB, are getting paid. At some point you have to realize that is the market rate at this point. There are a handful of true stars getting them is next to impossible.

15. Remii

Remii Member

He never said anything about being the #1 option. He said he wanted a "bigger role." And Dallas has 2 other offensive weapons on the floor as well so defenses can't focus on him...

And you say he can't make his teammates better _ maybe he can't. But I do know the Rockets offense looked like 5h1t when Parsons wasn't playing.

That kid is better than what you guys make him out to be.

16. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

Chandler was a great glue guy for the Rockets but 15m is a bit high as much as it kills me that the Rockets didn't match. Defensively he wasn't stellar but could attack the basket but not consistently due to his role on the team.

Ariza will do well in his 2nd stint but we might be surprised with TJones/DMO playing more minutes this year. My concern is over the backup PG situation at this point.

17. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

Great analogy.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think I posted this earlier in this thread or another, but Dirk + Monta take 5 more shots per game than Harden + Dwight. Just saying.

I think Carlisle will be like, after a few practices, "Oh, well, errm, you can't really create your own shot. Hrmm. We need you to crash the boards, hard, okay!?"

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Completely agree. This is why some players come out really hot in the beginning and fall flat on their face. It only takes a season or two, if that, for teams to adjust to a player and expose their weakness and turning them into another over paid role player.

Parsons had Harden and Howard to draw the heat away from him. That said, I hope he does well and flourishes.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Morey on 790 today: This was the most untradeable contract I've ever seen.

The trade kicker would be murder as the cap goes up and the option year would be a total turnoff to any team that would want him. He becomes a star, he opts out. If he flops, he opts in. If you are small market and he doesn't want to be there, he opts out. If you are big market trying to get an expiring deal, he can opt in.