1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler/Nene to meet with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Dec 4, 2011.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

UTAllTheWay: Hey Denver, we want to trade you Hasheem Thabeet, Jordan Hill and others and we want Nene. I know it's not fair value, but it's more than nothing!

Denver: UTAllTheWay.. we don't want your trash. And while true Nene could walk and leave us empty handed, the point you're missing is he can't walk to you and leave us empty handed. You don't have enough cap space for him to want to outright sign with you.

With a GM that is notorious for not "overspending" on valuable role players, I hope nobody is getting their hopes up this week. Morey is pitching an iPad and exposure, not money -- and players care about money first, second and fourth. The good news is that once we strike out here, we might look to rebuild this team the proper way.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don't think DM has any plans on doing a sign and trade. I think they would cut Thabeet which would give them about 12 mil in 1st year and what ever max raises are. That's about 1 mil a year raise from what Nene is getting now. I don't know if that will be enough to get him.

I think the Rockets may have a chance just because things are going to be moving fast but at the end of the day Nene is going to have to leave money on the table to leave Denver.

3. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

So when does the 'Bring NeNe to Houston' email campaign begin? :rolleyes:

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I expect better from you LTF

1.) Denver has got to spend money, as mandated by the CBA, and we have plenty of players they would be interested in. Furthermore, with the amnesty clause, and letting Chuck go, we have a good amount of money to throw out there. So yes, he can walk away to us, leaving them empty handed.

2.) Stop being a Debbie Downer. If we didn't atleast have a shot, we wouldnt be first in line to meet face to face.

5. faraza84

faraza84 Member

I think we are going to go after nene because he could be used in a trade with orlando for Dwight. I remember hearing orlando was interested in nene but they cant offer him much. If your orlando this would be a good deal because you can get someone productive at the C position plus maybe morris or something. Therefore i think we will amnesty someone really soon just so we can offer a higher contract for him.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I want this to end up like Bosh, where the Rockets are forced to go with what they have in Thabeet instead.

DD

7. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Either Chandler or Nene is a good fit for the rockets, getting one of them will help this team to get into the playoff. The team would be in a good position as long as we are not going to overpay them ( Morey never overpays anyone so far). My guess is that we have a better chance to get Chandler because he is less expensive.

8. cheifbootknocka

Free ipad + Fogo de Chao gift card = NeNe: Starting center for YOUR Houston Rockets

9. DarylMoney

DarylMoney Member

Thabeet?

Morey knows better than to trust that Thabeet will ever be anything over than a guy used to spell the starting center and/or use some fouls.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Never is a long time, and something that impatient people use when talking about bigs.

You can not teach 7'3" with athleticism, the only thing this guy needs to be a good defensive center is playing time.

His confidence got rattled, and he needs someone like McHale to help him get it back....once he has it, we will have our shot blocking big man in the middle.

DD

11. larsv8

Yes, but you can teach basketball.

All you need is someone with a brain and the willingness to learn. Thabeet doesn't have drive.

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

That is incorrect, you do not speak 6 languages fluently and not have a brain.

You do not weigh 280lbs with 3.5% body fat if you are not a dedicated athlete.

People are confusing a lack of confidence with a lack of dedication, somehow the lack of drive mythos followed him to Houston, when there are no facts to back it up.

Confidence, that is what he lacks, not drive, just playing time and confidence, remember it took Jermaine O'neal 4 years before he came into his own as a big.....patience is necessary when you are talking about Thabeet.

And since this team is going NOWHERE this season, might as well let him learn on the fly.

DD

13. davestrate

davestrate Member

Best restaurant in Houston, hands down! I'll raise you......Fogo de Chao for life!

14. thino

thino Contributing Member

agreed.

15. larsv8

I didn't say he didn't have a brain, I said he didn't have drive.

And there are facts to back this up. The kid never wanted to play ball, he was tall, and everyone said he should. He plays for a paycheck, not for the game. There are articles on this. He just isn't an NBA basketball player.

The only reason Thabeet is on this team is as an expiring contract to use at the deadline. If Nene says yes, and Denver won't SnT, he will be amnestied immediately. This will likely be his one and only NBA contract.

16. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I like Nene, but he is going to get overpaid because of the weak FA class. Sure we'll be better with him, Mchale will love him, and we'll make the playoffs. But that is probably the ceiling for us even with him. And I don't know if Nene, Lowry, Scola are enough to attract any stud FAs to come here even if we have the money leftover.

And I dont know if Nene makes a really good trade chip. Lets assume he gets 12 mil for 5 years. That is a pretty expensive trade chip. And will Orlando or NO trade us a Howard / CP when there will be offers like Lopez, Bynum etc? I really don't think so.

I love Nene, and also like Chandler, but they are short term fixes, and will also be hard to move imo. Unless we can trade Scola, I do not want $20 mil + tied up next year to that front court.

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

There are blogs on this and speculation, but never do you hear Hasheem say that.

I will bet you this is NOT his only NBA contract, if Kwame Brown is still playing, you can bet your ass Hasheem will be in the league 10 years from now barring a catastropich injury.

DD

18. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Ariza would beg to differ. Although that mistake was quickly erased and it picked us up Lee.

19. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

When are you dropping your article?

MUST KNOW NOW!

20. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

he can't drive to the basket either.