1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler/Nene to meet with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Dec 4, 2011.

1. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Bima, enough with the anticipation.

I can't wait! Too excited!

NEED IT NOW!

:grin:

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Hahaha. Yeah, I saw your reaction in the other thread. Just working out some kinks with Clutch. We'll have it up tomorrow morning.

Patience is a virtue. :grin:

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Patience is for the weak!

4. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I got all the answers, to robbie380's question now. I think. :p

There are two scenarios for the Rockets to get Nene:

1.) Signing him with cap space. In order to do so the Rockets would have to either trade Thabeet for cap space or amnesty cut him. Depending on the contract Nene demands, the Rockets possibly would have to also cut Blakely and/or Cousin, who both have unguaranteed contracts.
    Obviously the Rockets would only do any of these cap room creating roster moves after agreeing to terms with Nene.

2.) Sign&trade. Denver is $25M under the cap and will have to spend over $15M to get to the minimum team salary of 85% of the cap.
    One player the Rockets would have to trade to make this work, again is Thabeet.
    Anybody else the Rockets throw in is to entice the deal for the Nuggets, though one could argue that the Rockets do have some incentive to add other pieces themselfs.
    Not only could them adding a guy like Hill open up the possibilty for Chuck to come back, but you wouldn't lose your TPE's, which might come in quite handy down the road.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I would say no to Chandler if he's asking anything near the max. His value has never been higher and will never be higher. Coming off a healthy season and a championship.

His value is inflated at the moment.

Not to mention he's quite injury-prone and is not getting any younger > will it get better or worse? Do we want to give him a lot of long-term money? We just got out of the T-Mac/Yao contracts.

A fantastic player, but overpriced at the moment IMO.

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Run up their asking prices, don't sign either of them, screw the cap for a couple of teams. Fine with me.

Gasol would be the only center I'd put down good money for.

1 person likes this.
  7. anchel

anchel Member

I would like to know why reputed people here agrees to prefer Nene over Chandler.

Nene is for sure the better offensive player, but, is he enough at center to fight face to face in the post uninhibitedly against the best and bigger centers? Could he maintain the mental toughness in a long playoff series against them?

He's 6-10 in shoes (DX says), and sorry but he's not Dwight Howard. Will he be able to defend Bynum, Bogut, Marc, Cousins in 1on1? Can he rebound against the best rebounders? I mean not only stars, but also guys like Asik, like Tyson Chandler... Don't you see size advantage crucial if we talk about elite basketball?

8. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

The only reason we are after him is because he's unrestricted. Chandler will re-sign with the Mavs without a doubt, this is just him using his leverage.

I personally think we won't get anyone and roll with Thabeet or trade for a center.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

**** those expensive centers. I'll take deandre Jordan for less than ten mill.

10. HMMMHMM

Inb4 Bima correting myself.

You wouldn't lose your TPEs regardless if you do a sign&trade.

11. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Not my preferrerd course of action but since we're doing this...

Chandler in Adelman's system would have been ideal but I think McHale wants a low post threat besides Scola. Nene fits that mold much better but won't provide the defense. I worry about Chandler without an elite PG and Nene can give you 18-10 as the main guy on an offensive team.

Give me Nene for this team.

12. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

You don't think the Clippers will offer less than 10 million?

He's restricted, so LA can match any offer.

13. HMMMHMM

14. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

To be honest, getting Nene would be great and exciting for this team. He is a good scoring center and very athletic. The problem is, he's not young. Also, Nene can probably help the Rockets win a few extra game and put us in the playoff as the 8th seeded team and the Rockets will again face another first round exit with a low draft pick.

Tyson Chandler is good when he's playing with a contender. With the Mavs, he protects the rim very well and scores most of his points from Kidd's assists. But he isn't young also.

Neither Chandler or Nene will help this team much unless the Rockets have a superstar. Because having a defensive center in Tyson or a good scoring and defensive center in Nene would help but it would not be enough to take this team anywhere. Nene and Tyson is not intriguing enough to lure stars to come to Houston. I mean, what superstars would want to come to Houston to play with Nene or Tyson? Both players are not young players.

One thing I don't understand about Morey. Its like he wants to rebuild and at the same time, in a win now type mode. Im sorry but those two recipe does not mix. You can't just rebuild your team again with young talents and then spend big bucks on centers that only have a few good playing years left until they start declining. This team is just basically a team of good young role players with some that are way above average but not all star caliber players like Kyle Lowry and Kevin Martin.

15. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Nene is 28 years old. That's like 24 in center years.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Rockets will try to sign and trade for Nene. I think they offer the max. Center is a premium position and more than just stars are worth the max. Nene would also be very easy to move even with a max contract if the dream comes true.

17. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

To be honest, Chandler would only play hard with a contending team. He would not have the same intensity playing for a lottery team like the Rockets. Plus he is injury prone also. I would much rather go after young centers between the ages of 21-24 years old with some potential.

By going after young centers with some potential and talent, he can grow into a good player while the team is rebuilding rather than getting Chandler who is turning 30 this year or Nene who's also 30 and injury prone. Those guys would be on the decline by the time the Rockets managed to built a playoff contending team. You can't rebuild a team by spending big bucks signing older players. They need young centers that can grow with the team.

If Morey continues to rebuild while trying to win now, the Rockets will never get out of this same cycle they been in since the last time they were in the playoffs. Ever since Yao went down again just 5 games into the season, it seems like Morey doesn't know which direction to take. At first he keeps thinking Yao would come back strong even though the chances are slim to none.

Morey just needs to pick a route and stick with it. Because at this rate, the Rockets are going to be stuck in this cycle for years. Two years and Morey gathered up some pretty decent players but the Rockets were still a mediocre team. If this year the Rockets don't make a big splash but instead small trades like trading a role player for another role player or buying a 2nd round or late first round pick and the Rockets are still mediocre, I think Les should give Morey the boot. Either he trade a high caliber player or trade for a high pick for this upcoming draft to get a potential star player or make a big signing for a star player and not a decent player that has already peaked, its a big FAIL.

Like last season during the trading deadline, Morey kept talking about how he was going to make a big splash on the trading deadline or a high caliber player or high pick, but instead he got Thabeet, Dragic( which is a decent trade but not a big splash like he keeps talking about). Though he did got 2 first round pick out of those trade, Im praying those picks will be at least in the top 10, if not, its a FAIL.

I think Morey needs to stop playing safe and just take some risk sometimes because they may pay off sometimes. The only good trade Morey made was the Ariza for Lee trade, Landry and Tmac for Knicks first round picks and Kevin Martin, and Jordan Hill.

This last draft, Morey did some pretty decent move for trading up for Donatas and getting Flynn. I think Flynn has potential to be a very good PG in this league. Im actually very high on Flynn. He just had one bad year last season because of injuries and he wasn't able to fully recovered so people gave up on him but he's still very young and capable to taking Goran's spot.

18. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

He's turning 30 next year but he is very injury prone. At his age, Im sure he prefers to play for a contender than a lottery team.

19. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

You would if you only sent out Thabeet in the sign and cap, and you would need to be under the cap to do the deal.

However, here's an article that says that the 25% rule (difference in collective salaries for trades between capped out teams) will be the 40% rule under the new CBA. Meaning we would have to send out less salaries in a sign and trade to keep the exceptions and not have to renounce Chuck:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7303114/everything-ever-want-know-new-nba-labor-deal

2 people like this.
  20. HMMMHMM

True. I was so afraid of Bima correcting myself, that I outsmarted myself there. :eek: :(

1 person likes this.