1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler/Nene to meet with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Dec 4, 2011.

1. cod

cod Member

Nene and Chandler rarely take shots away from under the basket. They're not a good fit together.

2. tomato

tomato Member

who wants to bet morey won't pull either of these off? we need to get a real GM in here, not the e-trade baby

3. srrono

srrono Member

basketballtalk Kurt Helin
    Report: Nets, Warriors Rockets leaders in Tyson Chander sweepstakes dlvr.it/yzYmj #PBT #NBA

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I have no problem with Morey meeting with Tyson Chandler and Nene even if its just for competitive reasons just to raise the price of these free agents for other teams.

If Morey cant get these guys at the price the Rockets want, they have at least set the bar that will make teams like the Mavs, GS, or Denver overspend to keep bigs that arent that good to begin with.

However, if talks go good, and Morey can convince Nene or Chandler to take less then good for him. Morey knows they have virtually no shot, and those free agents are really just using the Rockets as leverage against the teams they really plan on signing with.

I trust that Morey wont pay the obscene amount that Nene and Chandler are requesting to play in Houston.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So you want an Isiah Thomas type of GM who would just pay 20 Million a year to sign a mediocre center(one who is oft injured) who would cripple the salary cap for the next 5 years and keep the Rockets from resigning young prospects, signing additional free agents, and having a chance at signing a player in free agency who would actually make this team a contender???

News flash...neither of these players would make the Rockets a contender, and Im not sure if youve heard this yet, but there is a thing in the NBA called a salary cap thats harder for most GM's to manage than an E-trade account.

However, they do play the center position.

6. Soybean Fanatic

I don't understand what the Rockets want from Chandler - at his asking price, he's only worth the inflated asking price if he puts you over the top.

And he won't be available for a decent price, because for a resonable price, he could just have resigned in Dallas.

7. Htown's2kFinest

rather have Nene but I'd be surprised if either are Rockets

8. lild713

lild713 Member

9. cod

cod Member

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Asking price don't mean nuth'n unless somebody is willing to pay it. Chandler for $100 million??? If they are foolish enough, let them have him. It may delay our window of opportunity but having value contracts is best. Morey knows this.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I posted this in the NBA forums:

Tyson Chandler: 10 Seasons, 0 All Star appearances, 1 All Defensive 2nd Team
    Nene: 9 Seasons, 0 All Star appearances, 0 All NBA teams
    Marc Gasol: 3 Seasons, 0 All Star appearances, 0 All NBA teams

I know height adds value, but are any of these guys worth the max?

12. cod

cod Member

The Rockets can't offer the max. If they're serious about playing for the Rockets it won't be for the max.

13. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

WINNER

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jonathan_Feigen Jonathan Feigen

15. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

ESPNSteinLine: Just filed to ESPN: Custom made Houston Rockets IPads have been seen floating around the Toyota center...

not srs :grin:

1 person likes this.
  16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I am stupid and I need others to explain things for me.

Ok so if we actually were going to sign Nene would we have to amnesty Thabeet first? How does Hayes change our cap situation? Do we need to renounce our rights to him also? I'd really hate to see Chuck go, especially if this team is going the route of rebuilding without sucking. Plus I feel Chuck and Nene could work pretty nicely together on defense.

Also, if we sign Nene it would seem as if that is a pretty big indication that Morey doesn't believe we have a chance in hell at the 2012 big 3 potential free agents.

17. acjeitherocket

ill take either one...

GET IT DONE.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Well you can see where this train wreck is going to end... without Deron Williams and a handful of terrible contracts.

19. Nook

Nook Member

I know.. we neez a real gm yo. Letzzz pay 30 year old Chandler or Nene 70 to 90 mil... that way weez win 3 more games.

1 person likes this.
  20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I've got answers to many of those questions . . . in my latest salary cap update, which is coming out tomorrow morning. Hope it helps.