1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chance of Snow

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MadMax, Dec 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6746662.html

Another gray day for Houston; snow possible for Friday
    Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
    Dec. 1, 2009, 2:04PM

Today's weather is shaping up to be a virtual repeat of Monday's around the Houston area, with the National Weather Service calling for gray skies, rain and temperatures in the 50s. But the key word in the forecast comes Friday: snow, or at least a chance of it.

A low-pressure system created by the cold front that moved through southeast Texas early Monday is churning rain back onto shore. Weather service meteorologists say there is an 80 percent rain chance this afternoon and nearly a 100 percent rain chance tonight, when temperatures should plunge toward the lower 40s.

Also, a coastal flood warning is in effect as higher-than-normal tides are expected tonight because of the weather system.

Conditions are set to improve a bit Wednesday, with only a 20 percent chance of rain before skies clear in the evening. After high temperatures reach the mid-50s, the lows early Thursday should drop into the upper 30s.

A slight rain chance returns Thursday, with highs in the mid-50s and lows approaching freezing overnight.

All that sets up a 30 percent chance of rain and snow Friday afternoon and night, according to the weather service. Highs during the day should only get into the lower 40s, and the lows should be around freezing.

The weather service says skies should clear again just in time for the weekend. Temperatures should return to the lower 50s Saturday, then fall back into the mid-30s Saturday night.

On Sunday and Monday, temperatures should approach 60 during the afternoon, getting into the mid-40s at night.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Should Katy evacuate?

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Why does this have to happen on the weekend? As far as I'm concerned, the weather can do whatever it wants during the weekdays, but Mother Nature needs to back off Saturday and Sunday.

4. DaDream

DaDream Member

Damn I hope it snows. My 4 year old keeps getting mad at me cuz he doesn't understand why it won't snow here.

5. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

hmm, might be a great day to play hookey ! :grin:

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D39Lm_HRfOs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D39Lm_HRfOs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Wait, wait a minute... Oh. Oh! Ugh! Outrageous! This is pure snow! It's everywhere!

[​IMG]

8. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Didn't you take photos of him in the snow 1 or 2 years ago when it snowed here Christmas eve? Tell him it's not your fault he doesn't remember the snow.

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Same % chance up here in Nacogdoches.

Although, we've been robbed of snow the last few years.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm in the Heights, should I evacuate via 59 or 45?

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That was in 2004. Very odd in that the further south you were, the more snow you got. We drove to Galveston on Christmas day and the closer we got, the more snow we saw. It was surreal seeing 2 feet of snow at Moody Gardens. Not to mention a snowman on the beach.

We got a little last year, but it was at night and it was gone by the time everyone woke up the next morning.

12. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I want real snow. Enough for a Snowman and a snow ball fight. I have 2 kids that need a snowball up side the head. :grin:

13. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

take the 610 loop...

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Welcome to my world.. :p

Coincidentally we have a chance of snow in the next couple of days here in Minnesota after an unusually dry and warm November. This is an El Nino year so look for some unusual weather to come.

15. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Had less than an inch of accumulated snow where I live in Missouri City last year. In east Houston (Baytown, NASA area) there was about 6 inches in many areas. I believe that was the earliest snow accumulation in Houston's history last year, so maybe we break that record this year. In 2004 had a couple inches in Missouri City and like imma, I drove to Galveston on Xmas morning to visit relatives...winter wonderland for sure.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Snow in Katy is BS. Whenever it "snows" it's less than half an inch. Or, the snow melts as soon as it hits the ground and fails to accumulate. :mad:

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No thanks. John Lopez is tough on the ears.

18. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Katy and areas north have been left out of the last 2 snow storms.

19. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Yup. We had around 6-8 inches ('sup mazyar) last year in that freak storm. I had my brother in from NYC in 2004, and while we were stuck on the Beltway 8 bridge sliding down the ice in the car, his girlfriend who is from Albany, NY. said that was exactly what a blizzard looked like. I was all "nuh uh", but she was all "ah huh!"

This years Farmers Almanac predicts snowfall more than once for our area due to El Nino. It also predicted two hurricanes, but instead we got 100 degrees with no rain for months. Take it for what it's worth.

20. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Damnit... How could I miss this auspicious occassion? Grrrrrrr. :mad: