1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Champ Bailey is now available

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/st...EY?SITE=TXHOU&SECTION=SPORTS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -- The Washington Redskins have given four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey permission to pursue a trade, the strongest indication yet that one of the team's most popular players might not return next season.

Bailey's agent, Jack Reale, said he spoke to "seven or eight" teams Friday after receiving a call Thursday night from Redskins owner Dan Snyder.

"I think they're curious to see what the interest level is," Reale said.

Bailey's contract expires next month, and talks for a new deal have gone nowhere. The Redskins offered a nine-year, $55 million contract with $14.7 million in bonus money before the start of last season, but Bailey was unhappy with the structure and numerous other clauses in the offer.

Negotiations resumed this month, with the Redskins essentially making the same offer, except the proposal covered eight years instead of nine. Bailey has said he wanted a deal that would make him one of the highest paid defensive players in the league.

Reale said Snyder "made it very clear that the coaching staff considers Champ an elite player" but that the two sides "simply disagree" over the parameters of a long-term contract.

If the Redskins don't re-sign Bailey or trade him by Feb. 24, they will probably designate him as a franchise player, which means they would have to tender him a one-year, $6.8 million offer that leave the team hamstrung to pursue free agents under the salary cap.

A trade for Bailey could involve a player or draft picks or a combination of the two.

Bailey was a Pro Bowl selection for the fourth consecutive year, despite playing much of last season with a broken left wrist and a sprained left shoulder. He could barely lift his arm above his head when he intercepted a pass and forced a game-turning fumble in a 20-17 victory over New England in Week 4.

Bailey is the second popular Redskins player whose future has come into doubt this month.

The Redskins are negotiating a possible trade for Jacksonville quarterback Mark Brunell, who would then become the favorite to supplant Patrick Ramsey. Brunell wants to go where he can become a starter without sparking a quarterback controversy, and the possibility of his arrival in Washington has sparked trade rumors concerning Ramsey.

"We've had some interesting discussions this week which have centered on a perspective role of Mark as a Redskin," Brunell's agent, Leigh Steinberg said.

Interestingly, although several teams - including Miami, San Diego and Dallas - have expressed interest in Brunell, Steinberg has been allowed to talk only to Washington. Brunell met last week with Redskins coach Joe Gibbs.

"We asked to allow Mark to have the opportunity to interact with any coach from a franchise that might be interested in trading for him," Steinberg said. "But they refused permission to anyone except Washington."

2. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

We have to get this guy if we can. Can we move Marcus Coleman to safety and have him still be effective? Could you imagine if our secondary was:

CB:
    Bailey
    Glenn
    Wright

Safeties:
    Sean Taylor (fingers crossed)
    Marcus Coleman
    Eric Brown
    Marlon McCree

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'd love to have him, as I'm sure the Texans would, too. I don't think they're going to give up what is necessary to sign a player of his ability. Maybe something with Henson is possible since the Skins are obviously looking for another qb.

4. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

leroy420,
    Coach Gibbs is looking for a veteran QB. They are not going after someone like Henson. Why would they when they already have Patrick Ramsey (and remember he was a late first round pick if I recall).

I agree that Champ Bailey is an elite cornerback (probably top 2 in the league). However, if he has already turned down a $16 million dollar signing bonus with the Redskins. Just think what he is wanting. He already said he wants to be paid like the top defensive player. That would be in the Ray Lewis category. :eek:

5. PhiSlammaJamma

The titans will open the bidding at $1. Damn, we don't even have that ;)

6. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Around the Horn just said that the Redskins are asking for a first round, second round and either a player or another pick. I'll pass.

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I would rather see the Texans go after Woodson but Bailey would be awesome to have too. Woodson won't sign until he sees what Bailey signs for which will be in the 60million dollar area which may be too much for a CB.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'd give them Drew Henson and our second rounder for him, as well as a future third.

9. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

The same injury prone Woodson?

10. Band Geek Mobster

The Texans have more pressing defensive concerns than CB at this moment. Now is not the time to sign an All-Pro, especially at a position that we already have covered adequately...

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The Same Woodson who shut down Randy Moss this season?

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

They can ask for anything they want. What can they get?

13. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

The best shutdown corner in the league hands down. Maybe even the most exciting defensive back in the league along with Eddie Reed.

14. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I'd rather fix our O-line so Carr can have some more time to pass.

At the same time, we really need to fix the D-line so we can finally pressure the other team QB's and stop the run. Plus, it would be nice to see a sack once in a while considering we do run a 3-4.

I don't care if we get every all star CB and safety available.............With the lack of pressure we put on opposing QB's they will find an open man. No matter who's covering them.

Getting a corner or safety is not an important issue. As long as McCree<sp> resigns our corners will look like all stars if we can start putting pressure on the opposing QB's.

This is why we lost so many close games last year.:mad:

15. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

Redskins just put the franchise tag on Bailey.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1738449

There's also a little speculation that he'll go to Detroit via trade.

----------

WASHINGTON -- Four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey, already given permission to seek a trade, was designated a franchise player Wednesday by the Washington Redskins.

The Redskins had until Feb. 24 to make the move, but it became inevitable after contract talks reached a stalemate last week.

The franchise tag keeps Bailey from becoming a free agent when his contract expires next month. It also means the Redskins have to make him a one-year, $6.8 million tender -- the average of the top five players at his position.

That will put the Redskins slightly over the NFL's salary cap. They have to get under the cap by March 3, and they can do so by cutting players. Bruce Smith, who said he would retire after breaking the career sacks record last season, heads the list of probable cuts.

Bailey is one of the team's most popular players, but talks for a new contract have made virtually no progress. The Redskins offered him a nine-year, $55 million contract with $14.7 million in bonus money before the start of last season, but Bailey had problems with several clauses in the deal as well as its overall structure.

The Redskins gave Bailey's agent, Jack Reale, permission to talk to other teams late last week. Reale plans to gauge interest in Bailey at this week's scouting combine in Indianapolis.

"We've got the ball rolling with several different teams," Reale said.

One of those teams is Detroit, where Bailey's younger brother, Boss, is coming off a strong season as a rookie linebacker. Also, Detroit has hired defensive backs coach George Catavolos, who coached Bailey in Washington the past two seasons.

"I'm hoping that we can discuss this face-to-face in Indianapolis," Detroit coach Steve Mariucci said. "If the Redskins are willing to talk about it, we're willing to listen. Champ Bailey is worth discussing. There's no question about that."

If the Redskins don't trade Bailey, they could have a difficult time pursuing new players when the free agent market opens next month. The salary cap space occupied by Bailey's $6.8 million will be needed to fill holes at defensive line, running back and safety -- as well as at the cornerback spot vacated by Bailey.

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Damn I was having a good day until I read that. Maybe Woodson is the second option:cool:

17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Apparently, the Texans are interested in Bailey...and are in the running.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1742919

Jack Reale, Bailey's agent, said the Redskins also have talked with Detroit, Houston, Chicago and Arizona.

"We have had preliminary discussions with the Broncos and with other teams as well, just on the broad outlines of a contract," Reale said. "I can't go into detail until I know what team we're going to be dealing with."

Redskins director of player personnel Vinny Cerrato said Tuesday that he also is talking to four other teams concerning Bailey, including one that contacted him Tuesday morning.

The Redskins have protected Bailey, who can become a free agent on March 3, by designating him their franchise player. That means the Redskins must make him a one-year, $6.8 million tender, the average of the top five players at his position.

18. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Looks like he s going to Denver. Which would be stupid for the Broncos. You never trade a franchise HB for a CB. Portis might be the best back in the game.

19. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Its Denver. Seems like whoever they put at RB is one of the best in the game. :) I am sure the Broncos feel great about Quentin Griffith, who is much faster, quicker than Portis. Whatever lessons they learned in drafting Terrell Davis have been put to good use.

20. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I like Griffin but Portis is amazing. I can't see why they would want to trade a guy like that. He had 1,500 + yds this season and missed 2 games. I just can't see it.