1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chad Shanks appreciation thread (Best of @HoustonRockets)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bandwagoner, Apr 29, 2015.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I'm not trying to stir it up with anyone really... I just want to clarify how it came off to some people. That said, I support a previous posters idea of suspension of some kind. That would have been more in line. You don't throw out a good employee over one mistake.

I worked at a place that once used the term "rip them a new one" without thinking, and one of our writers got in a ton of trouble for it because it is a reference to rape that gets said so much, some people don't even think about it. I don't recall anyone ever being fired... they did come close to it though. It is a mistake someone won't make again, so I think a lighter sentence was in order for Chad.

Things changed though when he tweeted it.

I don't think his going public warrants a rehire now. He should not have taken the spotlight for his own issues with the company. It was selfish and if anything he is pandering for a job the best way he knows: social media.

I wish him luck, however dragging your previous employer into a media storm on twitter is not forgivable.

1 person likes this.
  2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Absolutely nothing wrong with what he did...if any organization should understand "inappropriate" tweets, it should be the Rockets. Morey has made some interesting comments that have made ESPN headlines.

In any case, he was one of the better NBA tweeters out there. It was even in his job description to be edgy with his comments.

Nothing he said should have even remotely been offensive to anyone. If it was, please close your eyes and dont ever enter the real world.

3. MD_in_Training

His going public? He didn't go public with anything. The story broke through independent sources. And he is not pandering for his job back. The public, who support his case, is.

4. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

You seem unusually dedicated to promoting this viewpoint about a sports team's social media manager. Weird. And honestly, why are you even posting in the guy's appreciation thread when there are several more appropriate threads for your posts on this topic?

On topic. Another gem:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Long live the new King. Highlights, photos, recap &amp; reactions from today's big OT win on <a href="http://t.co/VBY18eSOmU">http://t.co/VBY18eSOmU</a>. <a href="http://t.co/91utdhnqTx">pic.twitter.com/91utdhnqTx</a></p>&mdash; Houston Rockets (@HoustonRockets) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets/status/572239283337076736">March 2, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

You see what you want to see. You took the tweet out of context and became self righteous. First thing I thought of was Old Yeller and Of Mice and Men. Those books have instances of animals/people being put down but nobody is thinking it condones animal violence. Then you equate it to a rape joke. You've been watching too much of The Fall on Netflix.

1 person likes this.
  6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Chad's firing has become a national story on its own. Meanwhile, although he had every opportunity to take shots at his former employer, Chad has been nothing but respectful to and appreciative of the Houston Rockets organization.

Also, the phrase "it'll all be over soon" is far too generic to be isolated to a reference to rape. That angle never crossed my mind, nor do I think it ever occurred to Chad. This was a(n admittedly tasteless) tweet about putting an injured horse out of its misery.

7. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

He was on 610 this morning and was asked if he had been reprimanded in the past for previous tweets. His answer was yes. If that's the case and he was on probation or something similar, then the Rockets could be justified in letting him go. He may have already had "one more chance" and he blew it with the horse tweet.

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I'm bored and I like debating

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

His high road bs is unprofessional... He shouldn't have gone public with this. He has effectively tricked the public into getting his side... He is using pr to mess with people. The fact remains he shouldnt have made a rape reference and this is likely not his first strike. He is ineligible for pity since he is smearing the organization for firing him. And trying to act noble about it to get positive press. He knows what he is doing. Very calculating since he has tons of fans backing him over his flop of a tweet.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Google it. I'm not the only one seeing it this way.

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

How old was this guy?

No offense but he sounds like a junior high dropout with his immature and juvenile twatter BS

Another case of our education system failing someone

12. LG1200

LG1200 Member

Anyone who's first thought was that it was "rapey" secretly has rape fantasies because there's no way anyone should think rape with those emojis in place.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

As time goes by this is getting interpreted as a rape reference???

I guess I'm not surprised.

You can take almost anything as an innuendo.

"Haha, he said 'you can take almost anything.' Rape."

1 person likes this.
  14. vince

vince Member

I was not a fan of the tweet. Not how you want the organization to be judged. That tweet sounded creepy..

Many people share his level of humor. Many are decensitized in this society to several angles of human dignity. So for those people, it is all normal.

It is not put over me that there is trash talking in sports. But a media director should not be doing the trash talking. It sounds like he was warned, and continued his free willing antics.

Rockets did what they had to.

1 person likes this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Messaging is catered to the audience. It is what it is. I imagine the Texans' twitter is all Texas Roadhouse, Chevy Truck and rhinestone jean fodder.

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

great points all around

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Or they are gamers who have heard this rape joke repeatedly throughout the gaming world and internet... :rolleyes:

You're refusing to acknowledge that the reference is common phrasing to a rape meme on the Internet. Google it. Seriously. Just google those words: "Shh, It'll be over soon" before you start accusing people of rape fantasies.

[​IMG]

18. napalm06

Good points all around. :p

I didn't originally want defend this guys immature tweets, but the rape thing is taking it too far. Total slippery slope.

19. napalm06

Just one flaw in this logic leap - it's also something that would be said to an injured animal prior to putting it down.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It isn't flawed to point out that those words are a meme on the Internet referencing rape. That's a logical statement. Look it up before you start getting on your soap box.

I never said that the guy tweeting wasn't trying to talk about putting a horse down, however, the words themselves are a meme about rape that is prevalent on the Internet. I love how the mere act of pointing this out has set some of you off. It's like you guys get bothered when someone is against using rape terms lightly. Let's examine the reasons behind that shall we...