1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chad Johnson released from Jail

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by sugrlndkid, Aug 12, 2012.

1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

DAVIE, Fla. -- Chad Johnson's teammates were taking the field for practice at the Miami Dolphins' training camp just as he walked out of jail Sunday.

He missed the workout, and it's unclear whether he'll be back.

The six-time Pro Bowl receiver was released on $2,500 bond a day after his wife accused him of head-butting her during an argument in front of their home. Johnson was charged with simple domestic battery, a misdemeanor.

Walker: Johnson's Future In Doubt
    Chad Johnson has put his football future with the Dolphins in jeopardy following Saturday night's alleged domestic incident, James Walker writes. Blog

The confrontation came barely a month after Johnson married Evelyn Lozada, who is on the reality TV show "Basketball Wives."

Following practice, coach Joe Philbin said he had yet to meet with Johnson but would soon. Johnson, 34, has been battling for a spot on the team after a disappointing season with the New England Patriots in 2011.

"We're going to deal with this at the appropriate time," Philbin said. "We're not going to waste time. ... We're all in this thing together. Everybody that sets foot in this building, we're all held to a high standard."

Only five days earlier, Philbin said Johnson's roster spot could be in jeopardy if he didn't temper his freewheeling behavior. Johnson annoyed the coach by frequently using profanity during a session with reporters.

Broward County jail officials said Johnson was released from jail Sunday afternoon.

Johnson's defense attorney, Adam Swickle, says Johnson posted the bond Sunday morning. Swickle says a no-contact order has been issued that prevents Johnson from contacting Lozada.

Such orders are common in domestic violence cases.

Swickle declined to comment further.

Police say Johnson, formerly known as Chad Ochocinco, was arrested Saturday. Davie police Capt. Dale Engle said the argument, which occurred in the front of the couple's home, started when Lozada confronted Johnson about a receipt she had found for a box of condoms.

According to an arrest affidavit, Johnson's wife said she was taking groceries into their home when she found the receipt in the car's trunk. When the two were seated back in the car, they began talking about the receipt and their marriage. That's when Johnson got upset and head-butted his wife, the report says.

Lozada ran to a neighbor's house and called police. A responding officer said he saw a 3-inch cut on Lozada's forehead, according to the affidavit.

Johnson did not have any visible marks or bruises. When questioned by police, he confirmed there was an argument over the receipt, but said his wife had head-butted him.

The officer, based on interviews and observations, charged Johnson with simple domestic battery.

Lozada was treated at a hospital for a cut to her forehead, Engle said.

If convicted, Johnson faces a maximum penalty of one year in jail and a $1,000 fine, though he could also receive community service, probation or anger management classes.

News of the arrest spread quickly Saturday, an off day for the team.

"I was shocked," tight end Charles Clay said. "Of course, you don't want things like that to happen."

Johnson has long been known for outlandish antics that annoyed his teammates as well as coaches, but in the wake of his arrest, several players expressed support for him.

"We're all there for him in this tough time," receiver Davone Bess said. "He has been busting his tail in the meetings and on the practice field, doing all the necessary things to make the team and do a good job. Stuff happens. We all run into situations. It's life."

Johnson
    Philbin, a first-year head coach, talked with his players about Johnson's arrest.

"I reminded them that on April 10 in our first team meetings, I said, 'Guys, I'd love to stand up here and tell you we're never going to have a problem here in Miami,'" Philbin said. "Do we want high-character guys? Yes. All 31 other coaches are going to say the same thing. But I specifically told them on April 10 that there will be problems that arise and you have to deal with them honestly and openly and directly. You've got to learn from mistakes and move on, and you can't hide from the problem."

Johnson signed with the Dolphins in June, four days after he was released by New England. A six-time Pro Bowl receiver with Cincinnati, he caught only 15 passes in 15 games for the Patriots last year after they acquired him in a trade for a pair of draft picks.

On Friday night in the Dolphins' 20-7 loss to Tampa Bay in their preseason opener, the only pass thrown to Johnson slipped through his hands.

Johnson was known as Ochocinco for the past four seasons. The name was a playful reference to the No. 85 he wore on his jersey.

Johnson and Lozada were prominent in the recent first episode of HBO's "Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Miami Dolphins."

In one sequence 40 minutes into the show, as he is leaving the Dolphins' facility before the first off-day of camp, Johnson jokes to Stuart Weinstein, the Dolphins' chief security investigator, who is off-camera, that he would be arrested.

"Stu, I promise I'm getting arrested while we're off," Johnson says.

"Call me, I'll come get you," Weinstein replies.

VH1's "Basketball Wives" is filmed in Miami and also features Shaunie O'Neal, the former wife of former NBA star Shaquille O'Neal. Lozada was previously engaged to former NBA player Antoine Walker.

Johnson and Lozada's wedding is slated to be featured in another VH1 reality series that begins in September called "Eve & Ocho."

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

So many puns...so im gonna leave it at this...

Getting head...lead him to wrap his Johnson...which led to a receipt...that led him to lose his head...and head butt his wife on her head...

Moral behind this story...Keep your head out of trouble..

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The Miami Dolphins have just released Chad Johnson, scouts cleaned out his locker</p>&mdash; Jay Glazer (@JayGlazer) <a href="https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/status/234807481891692544" data-datetime="2012-08-13T00:24:00+00:00">August 13, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. Shaud

Shaud Member

Sad thing is if he was in his prime he wouldn't have been released.

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Your move Rick.

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

What an idiot.

7. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

is there proof he hit her? maybe she was the one who head-butt him

8. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Chad Johnson likes soccer. He was watching Zinedene clips.

10. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Not in a million years. Not the Texans.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He married the chick from basketball wives
    . Like this was going to be drama free for him

12. PhiSlammaJamma

The lesson here, never put Call of Duty on pause for a woman.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Why is that sad?

We don't know what happened. Chad Johnson hasn't been a legal problem throughout a 10+ year career. This is a blip on the radar.

Chad was let go because they expected Chad to be quiet like he did in NE, but Chad has always been better when running his mouth. Chad isn't a cancer like TO. I hope Chad gets another job. Give him one more chance to see if he still has it.

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Nope. No team would release a star player in their prime over a domestic violent incident. No way, but a mild or declining player does it..."WE as an organization are firmly against domestic violence."

Yeah, if you marry any scene chick, you shouldn't be surprised by anything that happen.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Evelyn Lozada
    [rquoter]“It is with great sadness and much trepidation that I release this statement addressing the domestic violence incident that happened this past Saturday. I am deeply disappointed that Chad has failed to take responsibility for his actions and made false accusations against me, it is my sincere hope that he seeks the help he needs to overcome his troubles. Domestic violence is not okay and hopefully my taking a stand will help encourage other women to break their silence as well. I'm grateful to my family, friends and fans for the outpouring of support during this difficult time."[/rquoter]

17. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

LOL I'm surprised their marriage lasted a month... Why in the world would anybody marry a woman like this?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WrxyZrJVYJs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Any Chance of him going back to CincInnati?

Rocket River

19. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Geez, just watched his Inside the NFL interview and I genuinely feel bad for the guy now.

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I always find myself pulling for the guy...