1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chad Ford: Rockets trying to move up in draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROXTXIA, Jun 22, 2012.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Pierce was a heck lot better than Morris as a rookie,and even in college. It does take time to develop all round skills,but Morris doesn't have the tools to be an all star type of player whereas Pierce did. I do think Morris can become a servicable back-up.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

In all fairness on the Paul Pierce comparisons for Marcus Morris (which I don't even think are very accurate), please note that:

(1) Pierce actually played SMALL FORWARD at Kansas, having the luxury of playing alongside Raef LaFrentz (a 6-11 college PF!) and Scott Pollard (legit NBA-sized center). Morris, who played SF his entire life until Kansas, was moved to the PF position in college without the benefit of getting experience matching up against perimeter guys night in and night out.

(2) Pierce was a much better, more NBA-ready SF prospect coming out of Kansas in 1998. Besides Mike Bibby, I thought Pierce may have been the best prospect in that draft! Yet, for some stupid reason, Pierce fell all the way to the #10 pick! It was pretty ridiculous. So to view it as comparing "a #10 pick vs. a #14 pick", it really isn't that close. Pierce was an absolute GIFT for Boston. At best, Morris "just fell" to Houston at #14 instead of going a couple of spots higher. Morris's high end on draft boards was around #9 (to Charlotte). Pierce's high end was #2 or #3 overall.

3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

You're right about Morris being in the 9-15 range in most mock-drafts right before last year's draft, but the Lakers apparently had Morris in the top-5 on their board.
    https://twitter.com/KevinDing/statuses/84063859912089600

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Great. If the Lakers like Morris, lets throw him into the Gasol trade.

5. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I think regardless of whether or not we sign Dragic it is a good deal. I don't see this team going anywhere with Lowry and whoever we get with picks 14 and 16 but we could get lucky and strike gold with one of the two. Looking at pick 5 for the past few years there is almost always an all star caliber player available with that pick. I'd rather take my chances and try and get that type of player than remain in mediocrity with Lowry and more mid range picks.

6. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

Guys need to relax on Morris, he didnt play because of a ton of factors, none of which is his game. Everyone love Lou Williams on here and he was horrible his first couple years. Let the guy learn the game

7. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Not every rookie is a bust after an unsuccessful rookie year. Give Morris at least one training camp and 1 summer to work with the Rockets. I Parsons, Patterson and Morris will show improvements next season.

Every year in the draft good players get overlooked by multiple teams.

8. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

If a team drafted Anthony Davis and said "you been a center your whole life, now you will be a guard" you dont think that will hinder at least one year of performance.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Its curious the "superstar or absolute trash" mentality people take towards players.

Morris is a skilled youngster.

The Rockets usually make rookies pay thier dues in practices/summer leagues before they get minutes.

Landry, Brooks, Patterson, Budinger are all developed into good players.

Why is thier zero patience with Morris?

It actually benefits us too because usually the players starts getting noticed just after thier RFA contract year and we usually get our youngsters on great deals in thier second contracts.

10. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Actually Davis was a guard most of his life and didn't play like a big man until just the past 2-3 years when he got a mega growth spurt.

11. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I was just about to say this, haha this guys needs to do some research but I do get what he is saying about changing positions!

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Besides the fact that he hasn't been a center his whole life, as noted, he also isn't telling teams to consider him as a guard. Morris sPecifically wanted to be viewed as a sf and drafted as such. The rockets obliged.

That said, instill understand it takes some time. I give him the benefit of one year. Not two or three though.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So instead of trading Lowry and the 12th pick to move up to 8 we might get a top 10 pick for just Lowry.

If that's the case people can't complain.

14. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Sure they can. They've complained about much less on here.

15. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Might as well leave this thread unlocked and bump up it up next year, same story.. no results

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

You are correct. I started to gripe until I realized we got the lotto pick without giving up another one.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

Next year teams will be trying to trade for our 2 top 5 lotto picks :)

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

Next year's draft is supposed to be awful.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

As a whole yes but the top 5 players are considered great. A better center than Davis and Shabazz who was compared to Kobe.