1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chad Ford: Rockets trying to move up in draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROXTXIA, Jun 22, 2012.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Do people even look at prospects anymore? The way the draft's shaping up, I don't see too big a jump in quality in the 8-10 range over 14-16 range. Some of you are basically b****ing about the Rockets not moving up for someone likes Austin Rivers or John Henson like they're future superstars or something. The bottom of the top-10 this year isn't all that great unless someone dropped.

Personally, I want top-6, which is probably Drummond or Barnes or Beal. Position wise they all fit, and I see enough upside to be worth packaging both picks or put Lowry in the discussion. But otherwise, I'd rather trade Lowry and/or picks for a player instead.

2. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I think I'd be willing to trade Lowry, 14 and 16 if it meant we could get in the top 5.

3. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

Omer Asik can't even pass Noah....why you want him on this team

4. psingh34

psingh34 Member

it depends on what spot you are moving upto .. from all I have read it does not appear that the talent difference between 7-14 is significant and what if the assets they want is someone like parsons to move up to 8 .. two draft picks and parsons is not worth the 8th pick .. just saying as a hypothetical scenario

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I want this team because I watch and understand good basketball.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

rofl.... Asik must have been No.6 on your draftboard

7. anchel

anchel Member

Asik in Europe pointed to become a decent offensive player. Not great, not even good, but at least so-so. Apparently has not shown even that level in Chicago. Bulls fans cry very often about his hands and how the man can't catch any kind of pass, can't finish plays (also extreme slowness to lift the ball).

Defensively he's elite, that's very clear, and he's also a very good rebounder. He runs very well the court, and has a good basket IQ. Understands the game, moves well without ball... My question is how much money he deserves considering how has struggled offensively so far, and how much could he improve his offensive skills with time and dedication.
    The man really didn't look THAT bad in his years in Europe.

8. conquistador#11

what an interesting turn of events.
    (insert urkel close up gif)

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

I wouldn't go that far, not even for the 2nd pick unless Morey REALLY likes someone there. I would go for 14+Lowry for top-5 pick.

Picks always has value. Even if the Rockets have too many players already, you can trade the 14/16th pick for future pick(s)

10. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Can the draft be here already !!!!!!

11. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

We have to put all the chips in and draft drummond and hope he plans out.

Drummond has the most upside trade who ever and gamble!!!!!!!!!

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We've become a joke with this nonsense.

Compete, miss the playoffs, get the 14th pick, try and fail to trade up, draft a solid player with little upside.

3 straight years of this exact same routine

Time to take a risk or we'll be doing this forever, get really bad or get really good, no in between. Our assets aren't getting us anywhere anyhow.

Trade way up in the draft, or offer Orlando whatever they want for Howard. Anything other than one of these two moves is a failure.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

morris isn't a solid player he's a scrub

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Which available high upside players should the Rockets have drafted at 14th?

15. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

chandler parsons! :D

16. AbrahamLincoln

I'm on board with trading up as high as we can and using the 14th, and Lowry. Not both 1st rd picks though. I just think we should take the gamble and if it doesn't pan out then we are closer to rebuilding which is what I want anyway. The whole stockpile assets scheme means we have to take a risk eventually for it to pay off. If we stay at 14 and don't get Dwight its gonna be a shi**y summer.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i love Lowry, but if I knew we could sign Dragic, I'd do this too.

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

"The grass is always greener"

Is everyone forgetting the draft is at best a crap shoot? Just a reminder, Lowery is a proven up and comer, having Lowery and Dragic allows for a rotation at the PG and the SG when they play together, as they did effectively.

You can trade away 14, 16 and Lowery and draft:

By Clutch
    Copyright 2001 ClutchFans.net

Many feel Eddie Griffin will be a perennial All-Star in the NBA
    Every year I have the highest of expectations for the Rockets heading in to the draft. Every year, they find a way to crush those hopes.
    Not this year. Not by a long shot.

Somehow, someway, the Houston Rockets turned three average first round picks in to the player many thought should have gone #1 overall in the entire draft.

Seton Hall freshman sensation Eddie Griffin is a Houston Rocket.

http://www.clutchfans.net/feature.cfm?FeatureID=114

1 person likes this.
  19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I would too but that's the thing...trading Lowry before signing Dragic would not only be a gamble but could turn out to be a costly one as Dragic would really have us over a barrel. And if Plan A (signing Dragic) fell through and Plan B (Lowry) is was already traded then Plan C is looking very scary.

So I don't think Morey will trade Lowry on draft day. However, the moment Dragic is signed then Morey better move Lowry asap because neither Dragic or Lowry want the backup scraps and it could turn ugly in a hurry.

20. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

It's funny.

Last year the Rockets took a risk by taking a chance on Morris being able to play SF, instead of playing it safe and going with the 6'8 PF, who you knew what you would get from, as most, if not all of his skills translate to the NBA.

Now, Rockets fans are screaming that the Rockets never take any risks and that the Rockets can't play it safe (anymore), when really what we should have done last year is play it safe.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the same people also are being critical of Morey in hindsight by not taking the 6'8 PF.

The same goes for trading for T-Will. The Rockets took a risk there. It turned out it wasn't worth it.
    Instead of acknowledging that the Rockets took a risk, fans complain that the Rockets screwed up and a minute later complain about the Rockets not going for even riskier trades.
    FYI: The higher the risk, the greater the chance of failure. You can't have it both ways.

2 people like this.