1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chad Ford: Rockets trying to move up in draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROXTXIA, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Funny how Morey is collecting players to trade for bigger fish and when it's time to take a shot, he's a scared little girl who will never make a bet. Don't bring in the Gasol trade, any GM could've pulled that off and probably done better too.

There are at least 7-8 players in this draft who in 2 years will be better than 90% on our team.

3 people like this.
  2. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Really? Unless you are on welfare somewhere, you are probably an asset to someone.

3. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

I've got a bad feeling about this.

4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

In other news today, the Houston Rockets Front Office announced that the sky is blue, water is wet and that the moon is NOT made of green cheese...

5. Raven

Raven Member

Unless the kitchen sink is a seven foot shot blocker who can be plugged into the middle for the next ten years, exactly the type of player Morey has struggled to acquire, and this draft is not loaded with that type of player. There's only three of them, and they will be long long gone by the time we select at fourteen.

Drummond
    Meyers
    Zeller
    Fab Melo

:(

Unless you think Zeller is going to fall to fourteen, which I think is being optimistic to the extreme.

6. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Try is not good enough this time. Here is to hoping some teams are complete idiots and draft all the wrong players above us. That guy Morey sounds like this try thing is all he does. People dont like to here "I tried" too often. In sports its "what did you do". Not if you just tried.

7. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

8. Garner

Garner Member

Lulz, wuts?

9. lionaire

lionaire Member

We should make a push to get Waiters.

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

row row row your boat gently down the stream, merrily merrily merrily...
    row row row your boat gently down the stream, merrily....
    row row row your boat gently down the stream, ...

11. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

or Hustling : White Athletes

or Battlefightin' : Players about to get cut by the Texans.

In the other thread I said, before Morey made the statement, that I think the top this year is three guys (Davis, Gilchrist, Robinson) and then about 15 that are close together. To me unless we really really believe in a wild card like Drummond or Royce White, I'd be just as satisfied taking two players than packaging those to move up to something in the 6-10 range.

On the other hand, if we have a chance to minimize the number of contracts we have, we should also do that because we have waaay too many decent players and not enough stars. If OKC wants a Scola to help them out in the low block, by all means match the salaries and hand us a future first and second rounder (both would be really low) and I would take it. Anything to concentrate our talent or move more value into things that don't take roster spots. Yes, humans are things.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Look, I like Zeller. However, if you are upset that the Rockets are not moving into the top 10 to snag him because he's a "seven foot shot blocker," be advised that he's not likely to be much of a shot blocker in the NBA.

First, he has short arms his height. His official 8'8.5'' standing reach is actually the same Chuck Hayes's standing reach. Now, he probably "tanked" his standing reach measurements a bit that day to increase his perceived vertical leap #s, but probably by no more than 2-3 inches (considering other players with similar height/wingspan combo). This would make his reach the same as those of allegedly undersized PFs Patrick Patterson and Terrence Jones (8'11'').

Zeller also blocked only 2.0 shots per 40 minutes against college competition. This number is rather low for a college center and is in fact less than the numbers put up by, for example, Terrence Jones (2.4 blk per 40 minutes). If you want a shot blocker, Terrence Jones may be just as good a bet as Tyler Zeller.

14. Raven

Raven Member

I want Meyers. I want Perry Jones. I want Drummond. I also know the NBA draft is a lot like this song.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OagFIQMs1tw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Perry Jones is now widely projected to be available at 14th. Trading up to "the top 10" to get him may very well be pointless.

Drummond is most likely gone in the top 6 or 7 picks-- i.e. most likely not available at the "top 10 pick" that Chad Ford reported someone to be shopping to the Rockets. Making the trade mentioned by Ford would likely also be pointless in terms of going after Drummond.

Meyers Leonard may be available at the "top 10 pick"-- but then again, he may not. It could be New Orleans shopping the 10th pick and Detroit could have taken him at 9th. If you make the trade right now you may well have given away a pick for nothing in return. If the team is really targeting a specific player, the trade would get done on draft night, when the pick is actually up (like how the Rockets did the Eddie Griffin trade) and not before. And, of course, this is assuming that Meyers Leonoard (with whom you seem to be on a first name basis :)) is the right pick. Despite his height and atheleticism, Leonard also averaged the same # of blocked shots per 40 minutes as "undersized PF" Terrrence Jones.

16. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I am no basketball talent scout, but in my opinion PJ will be a homeless mans Kevin Durant.

17. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Depends on the hobo. Smart hobo who has a place to stay and a cardboard box? Worse hobo's that ramble on and stay anywhere the night takes them?

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

You don't know crap. Stop posting.

19. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

He was NBA 2K12 GM of the year in his league at his house. Of course, he did have trade override on!!!!!! That is why he thinks the trade's are so easy. When he trades Morris for LeBron and a 1st rounder and the GM says "Get Bent", he just hits the old override button:grin:

20. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/06/and-with-the-16th-pick-of-the-2012-nba-draft-its-more-interesting-than-14-the-houston-rockets-select/

Hes pretty much covering his ass.

1 person likes this.