1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chad Ford and Coach David Thorpe talk Rookies!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ickaruto, Oct 29, 2021.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I would play John personally. He is not exactly a floor general, but we ought to let him scrimmage out there with everyone else without heavy minutes to avoid injury.

DaDakota and DeBeards like this.
  2. htownborn34

htownborn34 Member

I disagree with them saying Jalen doesn’t utilize his teammates, surprisingly he’s actually unselfish and plays within the flow of the offense, or what seems to be an offense. Biggest problem with Jalen outside his lack of strength is his consistency as a scorer

D-rock, PeterKingX, DeBeards and 4 others like this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you think Jalen Green is Jamal Crawford you should explode. :p

4. berkowsk

berkowsk Member

i ve a feeling that this draft by rocketscan turn to what 1984 draft turn for bulls . Time will tell if i am wrong or not.

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

good luck to the perpetual cycle of never developing the players and giving them PT only when you need to get rid of them, then tanking again because 'we have no talent' lololololol

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

7. i3artow i3aller

A big takeaway for me was how Thorpe ended the podcast by saying that this is a marathon and how a substantial amount of hard work coupled with a dose of humility will be crucial in determining what makes or breaks these prospects.

That's where I believe Jalen Green will shine in time. I firmly believe both he and Al-P already display a great dedication to their craft and aren't disillusioned by the blood, sweat, tears and time it's going to take to achieve their goals. It's my hope that the other rookies and young guns see how hard those two work and fall in line themselves given the great group we brought in.

Barnes and Mobley have looked excellent right out of the gate, but I do believe a small part of that is influenced by being in more beneficial situations. They're fantastic prospects in their own right, but I like our guys and five games into a season is far too early to jump ship.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

just bench kpj and let green be the pg.

vator and PeterKingX like this.
  9. MystikArkitect

They (like Duarte) aren't being tasked to fix organizational problems like Suggs, Green, Cade and Giddey are. Thus they can just kinda play and their expectations aren't particularly high. Playing a defensive role with minimal expectations on scoring output is a lot easier than what the latter group is being asked to do.

Amel likes this.
  10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

2nd roound pick The Houston Rockets got Zach Lavine or permanent 6th man Jalen Greeeeeeeeeen!
    Seriously!? Someone might get the pink slip for this one. Sengun however was a genious pick up!

11. dmoneybangbang

Lol….Good luck with your perpetual cycle of mediocrity because you are too scared to make hard decisions.

Lolololololol. You scared, go to church boy!

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You are talking about the polished Durant. They are talking about the young Durant. He was definitely criticized of taking inefficient shots.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It's soooo early still. It's probably still best for me to stay off Clutchfans because most of these reactions are overreactions. That being said, I had certain opinions going into this year, and some of them have been reinforced so far by the games we have gotten to see. My contentions after the draft were that, for the next four years, our primary assets are going to be Green, the other 2021 drafted players, Tate, and our top draft pick that will be joining us in 2022. That meant I was skeptical of everybody else, maybe excepting KMJ but that's because he's just still so raw it's hard to tell what we have from him yet.

All along I've considered KPJ as being nowhere on the level of Green in terms of prospect status. Never in his first two years did we have any glimmer of shooting efficiency, of defense, or even of court vision. Others fell in love with him based on his size and length for the PG position and his best offensive games last year. And the fact that he was left-handed and always compared himself to Harden. Nothing I've seen, last year or this, has led me to have any faith in him. Add in the off-the-field issues and it's just a situation where the odds are too long. It's nice that the Rockets paid nothing for the KPJ lottery ticket, but even today it remains just that.

Regarding Green vs Mobley or Barnes, it might be true that the latter two vie for the ROY award over him. But I still have no problem with the pick and am absolutely fascinated to see what Green's ceiling might look like, 3-4 years from now. You watch him on the court, and there is just no scenario that would surprise me, from Clarkson to Lavine to Beal to Kobe. He is absolutely worth the risk, because you can still see a superstar within him that is just waiting to emerge with time and growth.

14. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

KPJ just doesn't have that vision of a good passing PG. You either have it or not when you enter the league. Harden back on OKC had better passing vision than Westbrook thus he easily transitioned when put in that position. KPJ is much better as a pure scorer and we're not the first team trying to pair two scoring guards together and failed but yea it's still early af.

We need to endure this year and see what pick we get and decide everything next summer. Wood is the best player on the court right now but our defense is so bad. I was on the side that we should've drafted Mobley because I believe in length & defense, especially with the way the NBA is going (limited guards drawing fouls). Bigs are still getting to the line just fine. I've been watching Cavs games on top of Rockets games, and Mobley might legit make an all-nba defense team in his rookie year, that's how good he is defensively. He also plays within the system and doesn't force his shots so he is really efficient too.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wut?

What type of players are they?

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If Green turns into Crawford with a better IQ, I would be ecstatic.

There is a reason Crawford lasted so long in the NBA.

17. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Absolutely agree with this..Green right now isnt even in top 5 Rookies...but its way too early

18. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I think that Joker loves to play outside, pop 3 pointers and facillitate the offense.
    He loves the finesse game and will gravitate towards it even though he can play inside.

With Alpie I think he's a natural banger and grinder.
    He likes contact and finishing off of it.
    Now he has the ability to play the high post and I think he'll only get better at it as time goes on.

But I think it's a product of 1, fitting in with Silas' 5 man out offense (or whatever he calls it) and 2, not being able to score as well down low yet because he's not used to the NBA.
    He's already stated that NBA players are longer, stronger and quicker than what he faced in Europe.
    It's not just your primary defender but the help defense gets over so much quicker here and is longer, etc...
    But he's already figuring out ways to adapt which is a great sign imo.

One way they're just like each other though is that they're both extremely smart players.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Let's try it while Porter is out.

It will not be pretty.

James Harden spoiled CF, they believe that SG transitions to PG are run of the mill.

jiggyfly, DreamShook and Reeko like this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

Jalen Green would have a 1:2 assist to turnover ratio if he was made PG

D-rock likes this.