1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chacon Lives The Dream Of Many Astros Fans By Choking Out GM

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ryan17wagner, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

IIRC, Wade admitted to cussing. There's a difference between using cuss words and cussing someone out. And honestly, if an employee is going to be insubordinate and embarass one of their bosses in front of any number of other employees, I have no problem with a dressing down.

Good riddance to that piece of trash. I'm happy Wade could do his part to get him out of here.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

That wasn't the choke's side. Wade admitted during the press conference that he told Chacon to "look in the bleeping mirror" in the cafteria in front of teammates.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Sounds like Wade really has the support of the clubhouse.

4. leroy

leroy Member

And for that he deserves what happened? Once again...he's the boss. After the way Chacon had acted over the previous few weeks, what Wade said was right on the mark. Chacon needs to look in the bleeping mirror and realize that he's a marginal MLB pitcher, at best, and luck to have had the career he's had...which he probably just ruined. He is not any where near good enough to have the attitude that he has.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Chacon is a complete idiot, I Wade is an idiot in his own right.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2008023388_seam29.html

Between the Seams | Astros GM needed to get a grip

By Bob Ford
    Philadelphia Inquirer

Shawn Chacon was a problem for management.
    PHILADELPHIA — It's funny. When Dallas Green used to confront ballplayers and tell them to "look in the bleeping mirror," very few of them pushed him to the floor and then leapt on top to wrap their hands around his neck.

Now why was that?

Ed Wade must be wondering that himself, just days after giving the same reflective advice to pitcher Shawn Chacon in the players' lounge of the Houston Astros' locker room.

There are two versions of what led to the incident, but everyone agrees on the final scene, in which outfielder Reggie Abercrombie lifted Chacon from atop the general manager.

Once he brushed himself off and readjusted the Blackberry on his waistband, Wade suspended Chacon and the team waived the unhappy pitcher the next day for the purpose of giving him an unconditional release. That'll teach him.

There's no defending Chacon, who had made himself a problem for management, first for turning his back on the pitching coach during a mound meeting — very impolite — and then for sulking after being demoted from Houston's rotation, which isn't that easy to do.

Manager Cecil Cooper and Wade wanted to clear the air and get a few things straight, so Cooper summoned Chacon to his office. The pitcher declined the invitation. That brought Wade into the lounge, where Chacon was having one of the seven meals ballplayers have at the park every day.

That was Wade's first mistake, but some general managers who made it still wouldn't have ended up studying the ceiling fixtures.

Pat Gillick, who succeeded Wade as general manager of the Phillies, is way too smart to get himself in that kind of position. If the manager was unable to get a player to come to a meeting, Gillick would simply fire the manager. And he'd be right.

Wade didn't think this through very well, and he let his temper get the best of him. There's no question, knowing how big-league clubhouses operate, that the general manager, not the moody pitcher, lost more respect with the other players that day.

According to Chacon, Wade came in and began yelling at him and cursing when he refused to meet with Cooper. Chacon said he kept eating and said, "You're going to have to stop yelling at me."

Wade did not, and Chacon asked him again, nicely, according to the pitcher. Still more yelling, and Chacon rose from the table and asked one more time. More yelling.

At that point, Chacon went all Sprewell on Wade, and that was the end of the pitcher's career in Houston. He'll get another job somewhere — Derek Jeter vouched for his former teammate, if the Yankees are interested — and life will continue.

"Hopefully, it didn't ruin his career," Astros pitcher Roy Oswalt told reporters. "A lot of people say it did, but you never know. Hopefully, he'll get a chance with somebody else."

Wade contradicted Chacon's version of the incident, as it was reported in the Houston Chronicle. Wade said he didn't raise his voice or curse Chacon until he was physically assaulted. Not everyone agreed.

Infielder Mark Loretta, who was in the lounge during the excitement, said, "I think [the Chronicle story] got it correct."

So much for backing up management.

These are the kinds of things that do happen when a team is going badly, and the Astros have been awful for the last month. Everyone feels the strain, the manager reads that he is on the "hot seat" — ouch! — and the general manager tries to figure out how to shuffle the deck.

Wade let the strain get to him, apparently, and wanted to release some frustration. Instead, he ended up releasing Chacon.

Dallas Green should have pointed out, when he was giving lessons to Wade as a young man in the Phillies' organization, that you have to pick your spots. You have to decide which guys actually will look in the mirror and which ones will break it over your fool head.

And, of course, there's the lesson that general managers who think they have to act like tough guys are merely letting everyone in on the secret that they aren't.

6. msn

msn Member

I'm not completely at odds with your opinion. However, if the BSPN rag is to be believed, Wade responded to Chacon's "F*** YOU!!!" with his own, just as loud, "F*** YOU!!!" ...and it went downhill from there. I just believe a 50-something year old man, especially not hopped up on adrenaline (or uppers or 'roids or what-not) should exercise better self-control than that.

I don't believe Wade should be fired, but I *do* hope that behind closed doors he's gotten his own "dressing down" from one Drayton McLane.

7. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

Is Shawn Chacon gonna have to choke a b****?

damn i thought of that a week too late