1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ch 2] McGrady could be out for season (UPDATE: MRI reveals no damage)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketabc, Feb 11, 2009.

1. yztopstar

yztopstar Member

come on man ~~

wo have Ron and Von..

2. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

LOL at guys who wasting energy in writing lengthy post, oh and demanding apology. The earlier report wasn't true now what?

3. worzel gummidge

So did McGrady's people leak this false info to kill any possible deals?

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

methinks you're taking it too seriously. i'm more excited about tonight than normal! :)

5. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Here here!

6. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

This is Alex Rodriguezs story on STEROIDS all over again, why dont we just have TMAC take some STEROIDS SO he can atleast heal faster?

7. ThaBlackKnight

Well, Channel 2 is the initial source, but I would say they are a reliable source, but who knows. But if he's ruled out for tonight's game, then obviously he's not 100%.

However, I did find an interesting article about Tmac and just to prove that he does and can play through injuries.

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/pro-basketball/239501-tmac-has-scoliosis.html

Health & Fitness
    Sports Magazine
    February 2008
    Working Out With T-Mac
    start pg 38

In the Gym with Tracy McGrady:

Tracy McGrady is on borrowed time. He has been for the past 11 years. "When I first entered the NBA and got tested by doctors and trainers," McGrady says, "they projected I'd play five or six years because of the way my body is structured."

The 28 year old McGrady, a seven time all star and two time league scoring champion in his forth season with the Houston Rockets was born with a mild case of scoliosis (curvature of the spine.) His back was also injured following a hard foul he suffered in his fourth season while playing with Orlando. But thanks to his God given talent, and a rigorous off-season and in-season training program crafted by Wayne Hall, his personal trainer for the last 10 years, McGrady has overcome the gloomy predictions and occasional back flare ups to become one of the most recognizable players in the NBA.

The off-season training program begins about a month after the season ends, and includes weight training AND BASKETBALL DRILLS. "It's funny how people said I would have back problems and not last six years in the league," McGrady says, "but my body feel great in my 11th year."

Hall says the only concession made to McGrady's back situation is the elimination of any "compression" movements from the program. "We don't do any squats. We focus on the core and keeping the lower back and abs strong."

Hall tries to keep McGrady on a diet that includes a 60-40 split of protiens to carbs. McGrady is 6' 8", 223 pounds about 9% body fat.

Here is a link of what scoliosis is : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoliosis

That is pretty amazing that he could play at such a high level with a serious back injury like that.

As far as what microfracture can do to a player, Jason Kidd, Chris Webber, Jamal Mashburn, Penny Hardaway, Allen Houston, and John Stockton all had the microfracture surgery when they were close to their 30's or already in their 30's.

Stockton had it at age 35, but he didn't rely on his athleticism that much.

Allen Houston, although he was never very athletic, could not get open as easily or get as much lift off the ground for his jumpers, and he was at the peak of his career when he had his surgery.

Mashburn has talked about the effects of microfracture surgery on ESPN, saying he had to drastically change his game, to a much more grounded and slowed down game. He was still productive for another couple of years, but never the same.

Penny Hardaway and Chris Webber, both who relied a lot on athleticism, lost the most due to this surgery. They became jumpshooters and passers. It was hard to believe what they once were. Webber couldn't move laterally anymore and couldn't jump either. Same with Penny.

Jason Kidd wasn't effected too badley by it, since he was already declining a bit, but being a big point guard, he knew how to use his advantages.

I'm sure the surgery is more effective today than it was 6 years ago, and Amare and Oden have proven that, but they are both also very young as well.

But in Tmac's case, if he does have to have the surgery, then he will miss a good part of next year, and will not regain his athleticism the way it once was.

With how much he relies on his athleticism, he will be a shell of his former self. He will still be a good player, but he won't be the scoring threat anymore, and his defense will worsen, and he will probably become a spot up shooter but an improved passer.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

(UPDATE: MRI reveals no damage)

[​IMG]

9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

This would be a great story line for a soap opera.

10. Asian Sensation

Reasonable decline? Maybe. But you're being extremely naive. Look at Steve Nash.... He's a little less than a year older and he won MVP in 04-05 an 05-06 and he's kept up reasonably close production wise.

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

It's McGrady's fault that the MRI reveals no damage.

12. comehere2

comehere2 Member

i am happy for the team. now it is no more excuse. fight for survival. yao ming, if you were a man, step up, dunk it. i don't care the result. please play better basketball.

sorry to hear the bad news.

take care of yourself, tracy.

our management and team doctor are amazing. way to go, heroes.

we won't die. we won't

13. GMAC

GMAC Member

Ya, it's all fun and games when the results came back negative. We were looking at the prospect of losing one of our pillars, which would effectively mean the end to our season.

14. rocketsmetalspd

This is getting crazy by the hour. What is going on with the Rockets. I believe a trade is on the way. I hope it is. I am glad TMac is alright and not hurt like the previous reports. I will be exhuasted by the time the 19th comes around.

15. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

why do they keep doing this **** to us??

16. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Sometimes, common sense can do wonders for you, I guess. As to losing one of pillars, this episode doesn't change anything (not that we have sound pillars to start with).

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I've thought about that many times and mentioned it a couple times. Why the heck NOT?! No other player in the NBA stands to gain more in legacy and increased health than McGrady. HGH, whatever.

But none of that can help having no cartilage in the knee

18. worzel gummidge

Even if there was something wrong with his knee, which we now know there isn't, it shouldn't be effecting the ball movement out there.

19. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Its McGrady's fault that I am wasting so much time on the BBS! :D

20. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

I agree. Precautionary sitting out just doesn't make sense if there is no issue.

Two possibilities:
    - A trade is imminent or likely to have him sit out
    - He is being punished for not doing his job, and the management softens it by saying it was precautionary