1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CFB Playoff Rankings

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Oct 28, 2014.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yall want shitty teams ranked higher because the good teams are MEAN and BIG and have MONEY. Lulz.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  2. PhiSlammaJamma

Houston is 42nd. Computer malfunction. Error. Error. Error.

3. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

That's great and all, but you can take this BS and peddle it up someone else's ass. The SEC is not only the best conference, it's the best conference all time in non-conference record:

https://topdan.com/college-football-conference-records/index.html

It's also the best in the past 20 years, and has the most national championships during that time, by a landslide. Sure, you can nitpick and find a few years where the SEC underperformed in bowl games, but give me a break. Talk about nit-picking. If you seriously think that is because the mean ole' committee and the mean ole' BCS computers had some sort of hard on for the SEC, keep in mind Auburn went 13-0 in 2003 and was left out of the national championship game bc of Oklahoma and USC, bc yeah, historically, the people making those decisions tended to favor teams like Notre Dame, USC, Oklahoma...well, you get it.

Top to bottom, the SEC has by far the most talent year after year, and it has been and remains the best conference in college football. The fact that anyone on earth believes Notre Dame or Baylor or any other team deserves to be in over Alabama and Georgia is flat out ludicrous, and I can't believe I just wasted a couple of mins of my life picking apart your BS.

Stay whinin' I guess.

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  4. Major

Major Member

That's a nice rant, but none of that has anything to do with the bottom of the conference, which is what you were referring to and what I was replying to. Winning national championships has nothing to do with the bottom of the conference. All-time conference record has nothing to do with the current bottom of the conference.

Weird that you went on this rant when I have not suggested anywhere that either Alabama or Georgia shouldn't be in. You might want to consider if you have any reading comprehension issues.

#1104 Major, Dec 6, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    Slyonebluejay and STR8Thugg like this.
  5. STR8Thugg

You're right I read the first sentence and composed the rest of your thoughts in my head. Your other posts aren't reflective of the anti-SEC comments on here. So that post really isn't directed to you.

In regards to the bottom of the conference, there are still more NFL caliber players on SEC rosters. Those teams are still tougher to face week to week than Maryland, Rutgers, Oregon State, etc. LSU is a much more talented team than Maryland. Both are 6-6. Hell, the line would be pretty close if LSU played Wisconsin or Penn State. There are many other examples I could use with Auburn, Florida, South Carolina, etc. Like I said, you can nitpick and find years where it doesn't play out like that on the field.

The fact that Alabama struggled at times with middling SEC teams is not just an indictment on Bill O'Brien, it's also video evidence of how competitive an average SEC team is against perhaps the best team in the country. It wasn't just a matter of an end of season, in-state, rivalry game against Auburn.

Everything else I said stands true, but I directed it at the wrong person, so that's my bad.

Last thing... I'm most offended that you took a swipe at my reading comprehension. It's just fine. I passed Hooked On Phonics!

#1105 STR8Thugg, Dec 7, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    Major likes this.
  6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Wait a minute - Alabama IS a pass happy team. Their top running back Brian Robinson is banged up and it's not like Alabama's offensive line are worldbeaters (yes they did play very well in their last game). With John Metchie out, I think Alabama will try to run the ball more against Cincinnati as they are hoping that Robinson will be more 90% than 60% but Alabama better not take Cincinnati lightly. If they play against them like they did against ATM, LSU, Auburn, etc, they are going to lose.

If I was a betting man (which I am not because I hate to lose money), I would take Cincy because they are (I think last I checked) a 14 point underdog. Alabama is still going to win, unfortunately, but they aren't going to beat them by 14 or more points.

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

So I am back on my Stetson Bennett/JT Daniels rant - I am so afraid that Kirby Smart is going to start Bennett against Michigan and because Michigan is a favorable matchup for Georgia, that Georgia will win that game in spite of Stetson Bennett. Then Kirby is going to puff out his chest and tell the media, and the fans, and pretty much every Georgia fan that is not related to Stetson Bennett how great the kid is. Alabama will beat Cincy (but it will be close) and we will have a repeat of the SEC championship game all over again but in the NC title game. But you can stop that storyline from happening, Kirby - start JT Daniels against Michigan! He doesn't have to play his best just well enough to not do anything stupid because the defense should carry them to a victory. Then the rust has been knocked off and you should feel more comfortable and confident in having Daniels start in the NC title game. We have 23 days to work on this plan and there really is no excuse for Daniels not to be out there on NYE in Miami as the starting QB. But if Kirby wants to become Kirby Dumb, then start Stetson Bennett and Nick Saban and all these Alabama fans out there will thank you for personally hand delivering yet another NC to them.

And guys it is going to get worse - Alabama is actually supposedly "rebuilding" this year. If they win the NC this season, they may go on a run of winning several NCs in a row. Someone kill me now...

8. STR8Thugg

Yeah, but Alabama's O and D line against Cincinnati is going to get ugly really fast. Any running back on Alabama's roster should have a field day.

That being said, Cincinnati absolutely deserves a chance to play Alabama. No issues with that at all.

Slyonebluejay likes this.
  9. STR8Thugg

Michigan is the most physical team in the Big 10 this year, by a mile. I think they can probably hang in the trenches on defense. But the speed and skill for Georgia on the outside is a huge mismatch. Michigan is going to have trouble stretching the Georgia defense, but the X-factor here is Jim Harbaugh. I don't rule out the possibility of him scheming through this game.

Still think Georgia wins 38-20 and I think the rematch will be interesting.

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  10. Major

Major Member

So far, three 6-6 SEC teams have played bowl games and all have lost - to non-Power-5 teams in UCF, Army, and Houston.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nobody cares. I didn't even know 6 teams have even played yet. Games are on already? TAMU didn't even bother to go. There are no conclusions to draw from shitty bowl games.

12. Major

Major Member

The discussion I was quoting was specifically about 6-6 type SEC teams and the bottom of the conference, so someone clearly cared.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Disagree.

I'll probably be at the Sugar Bowl. I hope SEC loses there too I guess. But nobody cares. I'm GOING. But nobody cares. I don't care. Omicron gonna win. NEXT

14. Buck Turgidson

Yep, SEC only cares about games that they win.

It's a brilliant strategy.

Stop capitalizing random words, btw.

Nook, DonnyMost and MadMax like this.
  15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This happens every year. When they win, it’s about how great that are. When they lose it’s that they didn’t care. Transparent.

I promise you the coaches who earn bonuses for bowl wins and higher rankings care, no matter what anyone else tells you.

DonnyMost and Buck Turgidson like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Watching Mike Leach get totally worked by Texas Tech was very entertaining.

That said, watching him get his ass kicked by anybody is always very entertaining.

17. Major

Major Member

To be fair, Mike Leach didn't care about beating his old team that fired him.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

I'm sure he'll come up with some postgame witty quip that will make the media and fans forget about the loss.

19. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Omicron ain’t played nobody, Pawl

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

No. When SEC wins crap-tier bowls... NOBODY cares. Seriously. These games mean nothing. Just watch and enjoy. No conclusions to draw from them.