1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CFB Playoff Rankings

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Oct 28, 2014.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

He didn't say they did. Just that a non-P5 team would almost need 2 undefeated seasons to be strongly considered.

Hell the Big 12 should be somewhat sympathetic in this regard. The Big 12 team with the best overall record is #14 with almost no chance at making the playoffs. They're behind 4 BIG/PAC teams with 2 losses, and another PAC team with 3! Now OU and OkSt are in front as well, both with 2 losses.

Conference champs as automatic qualifiers just makes sense.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I wasn't aware the scoreboard factored in attendance.

gucci hit it. We need to get subjectivity out of this sport as much as possible.

Unfortunately that won't happen without a strong, unified governing body.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Should clarify that I meant P5 conference champs as auto qualifiers with some wild cards which would require some subjectivity in itself. This would at least give non-P5 schools a shot at the wild card assuming they have the schedule and record to be in the Top 8. Also doesn't disincentive P5 teams from scheduling good OOC teams. OU basically killed their shot at the playoffs before they even played a single conference game (ya I know there is still a path for them but it's narrow as hell).

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Apparently it does since UH fans stop coming to games as soon as they lose a game.

Yea, you're right.

It has been a down year for the big 12. OU actually looks pretty good and might have had a case of bad luck when they played Ohio St and a team coached by the former offensive coordinator for Ohio St. STILL, losses are losses. The Pac 12 has gone through some down times the last couple years but it might appear that they've rebounded but I'm not really sold on either Utah or Washington. It's worth noting that this could be the 2nd year in a row where a big 12 championship game would be OU-Ok St a week after they play in the regular season. Again, having a repeat matchup is pretty common in 12 team conferences but the successive games could be lame to a lot of folks. I think you can still make a lot of hype focusing on the loser and what they are going to do to comeback when they play again.

OU's path isn't really that narrow IMO. Ohio St needs to win out (Michigan+Wisconsin), Utah beats Washington and they have a case if they win out. Michigan and OU would have a shared loss against Ohio St and competing loses against UH/Iowa. This being said, no one is going to cry foul if OU doesn't make it.

The conferences have so few shared games that it really is difficult to compare any team to any other. It's worse now that you have the SEC where one division only plays 2 games against teams from the opposing division and 1 of those games is the same every year. Seems like everyone in the world agrees an 8 team playoffs is the most fair way to do it.

5. DonnyMost

Who s*** in your cheerios?

MexAmercnMoose likes this.
  6. Brando2101

You guys flooded the board for a year with how UH was the missing piece to everyone's puzzle, how conferences would be stupid not to add it because it had such massive support in Houston. At the end of the day, people in Houston still don't care about the team and neither do the fans. It's also a sign to Herman that he shouldn't be there. He expressed concern at the start of last year about attendance because he was warned about it from people before he took the job and he called out UH fans last October about it. I get that realistically it's inevitable you'll lose him but it makes it that much easier when he puts in work to turn the team around and fans won't go to the games. I'm sure it will be a packed house against Cincinnati but you have to have people go to the other games as well and it shouldn't be hard at all to fill a 40,000 seat stadium.

7. DonnyMost

So, yeah, nobody. Nobody s*** in your cheerios. You just have some massive chip on your shoulder. It's weird.

8. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

UH not being able to sell out a 40k seat stadium is embarrassing, especially coming off a NY6 win and while in the midst of an 8-2 season. I don't think that's an unrealistic expectation for a school that is trying to prove itself.

9. Buck Turgidson

I don't understand that either. Can't we all just get along?

10. DonnyMost

But it literally has nothing to do with anything.

11. DonnyMost

Some people just can't let go of the peepee games it seems. They seek out confrontation. They go out of their way to slight and insult. It's just sad. I've said it before, but college football really brings out the worst in people. Particularly on this BBS.

12. Buck Turgidson

One caveat, I will talk sh@t about Baylor and Penn St for as long as I feel like it.

13. Brando2101

Oh please. Keep ignoring the point and painting me with some kind of silly vendetta not worth a response. You have a pretty odd definition of what "the worst in people is." Quit trying to make yourself look like a victim.

14. DonnyMost

I think you ignoring the point and going off on tangents with a clear agenda (time and time again) has done all the painting for me.

I'm not sure about victims, but I do know the only person I feel sorry for here is you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15. Brando2101

You're being really dramatic.

16. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Are you really going to let Brando go full BigTexxx on you like this Donny?

DonnyMost likes this.
  17. DonnyMost

LOL

[​IMG]

18. jbasket

jbasket Member

Bit hard to do recently for that one, haha :D

19. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I have some inside sauces: Alabama is still #1

20. J.R.