1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CFB Playoff Rankings

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Oct 28, 2014.

1. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

dude TCU also lost their starting qb that game

its cool though i put money that the sooners if the committee lets them will take care of the SEC

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The whole "fraudulent" thing is a joke to me. These teams look different from week to week.

Good wins one week in the SEC get marginalized in the next when the team you beat last week loses to someone bad the next. That seems to be happening with regularity.

3. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

TCU definitely has a tall task to beat OU in Norman with Doctson out & hobbled Boykin.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya results against common opponents is one of the factors they take into account which would not bold well for OU. TCU dropping all the way down to 18 hurts OU quite a bit (assuming OU beats them).

5. askball

askball Member

Yeah take a listen to Joel Klatt rant about it. He certainly raises interesting points.

https://audioboom.com/boos/3829072-bad-joel-klatt-joel-klatt

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

TCU has looked bad all year though.

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

And so has Baylor and Notre Dame, and only the latter has come out from it unscathed. I still don't now if the committee would put OU ahead of ND...they're both playing great football. That said, I think Stanford will beat ND so there wouldn't be any problems there.

Also, no excuse to being that close to Kansas. It's Kansas (0-10 including a loss to South Dakota State).

8. Anticope

Anticope Member

If OU and Notre Dame win out, I don't see how anyone could put Notre Dame ahead of OU. At that point, OU will have 3 straight wins over very good teams, 2 of which are on the road, while Notre Dame will have exactly one win over a top 25 opponent (Stanford).

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

That's a fair argument. Notre Dame's schedule has merit, but another point in favor of OU is that the Committee will actually be watching the last couple of weeks together, and Notre Dame will just be sitting at home will OU will have a chance to impress the group as a unit.

10. askball

askball Member

There is an excuse when you're playing without your Heisman candidate QB and (largely) without your biletnikoff caliber WR.

11. gucci888

What do you mean by this?

12. Anticope

Anticope Member

That's a fair excuse against most teams but this Kansas team is on a whole different level of awful. TCU's entire 2nd team should be able to beat Kansas by double digits at home.

13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

The committee normally meets on Tuesdays starting a few weeks ago to discuss their rankings. The final week of the season, the committee actually has a football party on Saturday. That's championship weekend, Dec. 5th. Crap, I just remembered Big12 doesn't play then either. So that weekend, the committee is watching football together, instead of back at home in their separate basements. I believe that definitely plays a factor, whether it be recency effect or group think or whatever, teams that play (and play well) on championship weekend make a huge impact on the committee. And that leaves the likes of Notre Dame (and Big12) at a structural disadvantage. By Dec. 5th, the committee has already made up their minds about the non-participating teams. As for those participating that weekend, they have the potential for a positive impression that is bigger than in other weekends, and not just because it's the conference championship games.

14. gucci888

Thanks for info. Ya just wondering since both ND and OU won't have a championship game that last weekend. It will be very interesting to see what happens if both win out.

15. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

USC and Navy are currently in the top 25. Add them to a hypothetical win @Stanford and that's three wins for ND in the top 25.

Oklahoma beat Baylor and hypothetically TCU both without their starting QB and best player in TCU's case (Doctson). I think both wins should be devalued a bit due to that. I think OU needs Ok St to win out to get their best win of the year.

Oregon beating Stanford hurt ND some. ND needs USC/Navy to win out and have a convincing win vs. Stanford to end the year.

16. Anticope

Anticope Member

Right, I forgot about Navy. I doubt USC is in the top 25 at the end of the season though considering that they have two tough games left against Oregon and UCLA. It's close but I still think Oklahoma would get the nod in that scenario, Notre Dame's schedule just isn't what it used to be since aligning with the ACC. If the committee puts both Clemson and Notre Dame in the playoff they would basically have two ACC teams in there that have already played each other.

17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

ND 2016 Schedule-
    @Texas
    Nevada
    Michigan State
    Duke
    @Syracuse
    @NC State
    Stanford
    Miami
    Navy (neutral)
    Army (neutral)
    Virginia Tech
    @USC

That's a pretty damn tough schedule IMO. As a fan, I haven't noticed a decrease in the quality of opponents as you suggested.

18. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

What coach put Iowa over Clemseon in the poll?
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

The committee rankings don't come out for a couple days but I think no matter what you'll have this interesting ranking to work out at the end of the season. Assume Clemson beats #17 North Carolina, Alabama beats #8 Florida and Notre Dame beats #11 Stanford. Assume this happens because if there are upsets then who knows what happens and everything below is useless.

1) Clemson
    2) Alabama
    3) Notre Dame (They'll be 4th if Iowa wins out)
    4)

There will be 1 spot left for Iowa, Michigan St or Oklahoma.

Iowa gets it no matter what if they beat Michigan St. If Michigan St beats Michigan and then Iowa then they get it. OU just has to stand there and beat Ok St and hope for the best but it hurts that the Cowboys lost. I think the only hope for OU is for Michigan St to lose to Michigan next week and then beats Iowa.

By the way, we all know that Notre Dame is barely independent in football. Their "affiliation" means they play more ACC teams (6) than any other conference but they don't have to compete for a division crown or national championship game in the conference. I don't have a problem with them having their non-football programs officially in the ACC but the football independence is BS.

#658 Brando2101, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Guessing the Big Ten winner gets the last spot.

Michigan State already played and beat Michigan. They play Penn State next week.

Clemson: @South Carolina, vs North Carolina(ACC Championship)
    Alabama: @Auburn, [vs. Florida(SEC Championship--if they beat Auburn)]
    Notre Dame: @Stanford
    Iowa: @Nebraska, [vs. Michigan State(Big Ten Championship--if MSU beats Penn State)]
    Oklahoma: @Oklahoma State
    Florida: vs. Florida State, [vs. Alabama(SEC Championship--if Alabama beats Auburn)]
    Michigan State: vs. Penn State, [vs. Iowa(Big Ten Championship--if they beat Penn State)]
    Baylor: @TCU, vs. Texas
    Ohio State: @Michigan
    Oklahoma State: vs. Oklahoma

20. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

If Michigan State wins the B1G, I cannot see the committee putting them in over the Big-12 champ.

That loss to Nebraska is bad and they got lucky as hell against Michigan.

Also they kinda squeaked by Rutgers. I just don't think they are good.