1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CF Detectives, who's at fault?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chow_yun_fat, May 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I think they're both equally at fault.

Not only did the driver illegally change lanes, he changed lanes recklessly. When someone changes lanes, the onus is on him to do it safely. Simply turning on your blinker isn't enough. Had he used his mirrors, he would've seen the biker.

2. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

If you drive in LA you do. They all split lanes. It's legal. On the right, on the left...it don't matter. Biker's lucky he was wearing a helmet. Too many don't.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the professor, in the library, with the noose

4. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Always pass on the left.

Motorcyclist shouldn't be passing in the HOV lane anyway.

Was the guy a single in HOV lane... those guys are douche bags.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Both are at fault. The Prius driver for being oblivious and the biker for thinking he owns the road.

6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

In California, HOV lanes often double as toll based express lanes, so being a solo driver in that lane is not necessarily an issue.

7. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

A Prius can use HOV in California. Even with no friends in car.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Still no word on who pays for the red car's damages?

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

If he drives with an enemy, do they negate each other and it becomes a driver-less car?

10. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Having only driven in Cali lately, I thought this was the case everywhere, but I guess not. One of the reasons I reserved a Tesla 3 was so I could use the damn HOV lane lol.

11. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Well, if Uber sticks around, you'll have the passengers that allow you to use the HOV.

1 person likes this.
  12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

This is why we have accidents. Idiot drivers. Both at fault.

When will society start to adapt a little common sense and a little bit of patience? It's really not a lot to ask for.

13. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

LOL nice, but nobody takes Uber on the highways, during rush hour.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Both appear stupid, but the blame is completely on the biker. I don't see that any other way.

15. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

If for hypothetical reasons, lets assume that the biker was in a regular car...Who would be responsible? The fact is that a majority of us would say that it would be the car behind the "prius." The car behind him must slow down based on the conditions of the road ahead of him...The biker should share the same burden of responsibility.

I am certainly not sure about the HOV rules, and how it impacts the first driver...But the second driver(the biker) failed to address the situation ahead of him in a timely manner. The video shows that he had more than enough time to adequately make an evasive maneuver...guessed wrong(shouldve gone left) and created the accident (poor guy in the red car).

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Its obvious they will both be ticketed and at fault. The car could get off on a technicality that he did not switch lanes. He did indeed cross the white line, but so did the bike. Since the car did not breach the yellow line, I would rule in favor of the car.

On principal, the biker is a complete dumbass and is fully at fault. If it was a broken white line, the car would clearly be in the right.

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

car was wrong for trying to exit but! the biker should have passed on the left.
    hell he shouldn't have passed anyone to begin with in an HOV.

People on bikes thing they have their own invisible lane.

18. AXG

AXG Member

I hate when the HOV lane is not separated from the freeway by some barrier at least. People who are not supposed to be in the HOV lane frequently get on it and it slows it down. :mad:

As far as the car and biker here, I'd say the biker was more at fault. Although the car is supposed to wait until it's clear before switching lanes, I'm not sure what the biker was trying to do. He's lucky the crash was not worse.

19. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Depends... If that happens in cali, where lane splitting is legal then yeah, Prius' fault. Also you can't just leave the HOV lane like that

20. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7_9pnVJefXk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>