1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Celtics, Suns interested in Tate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 31, 2024.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Again, not worried about the salary.

And i doubt they want that 1st rd pick.

Corrosion likes this.
  2. plegus

plegus Member

cml750 likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

With Whitmore playing well I can’t imagine we need Tate’s defense more than Whitmore’s offense. Just need to get Tari back.

I think Bullock, Tate and Holiday are going to struggle to find playing time one Tari is back.

ramotadab and clos4life like this.
  4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

No. He has more value on a superstar-heavy, no-bench team because he can adequately play and defend multiple positions, including expending energy on D that keeps the superstars fresher, and his deficiencies can be hidden by better players. His value on the Rockets is less because we are trying to develop wing players.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

With the emergence of Whitmore, it's clear Tate is no longer needed. I don't know if he can fetch a crappy 1st but I'd go for a low 1st/high 2nd if they can get it.

I don't know why people are looking for player back not picks. This is still a .500 team at best and has severe deficiencies in shooting among its young core. They can use another pick for a shooter going forward.

Hui, Rockets FTW and ramotadab like this.
  6. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I agree with this but also want to add that it also has to do with the luxury of playing a non shooter. In general the rule of thumb is that you only want to play one non shooter. In rare circumstances you can play two depending on their skillset, but in general you only want to play one. If you look at a team like the celtics every single one of their top 8 guys can shoot 3s. So you can slot Tate into literally any of their lineups and be fine. He's just there to be a pest, a hustle guy, and a switch defender. He doesn't really fit on our team because we suck at shooting.

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Preferably a first from at least 2025 all the way to like 2029 or something. We have more upcoming picks than we can use, and I don't know that a late 1st in 2024 would have much value since this draft isn't particularly strong.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

There are always role players to be had in the late 1st early 2nd round of any draft. When people say a draft sucks they almost always mean no generational talent on top.

fattz and Corrosion like this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I love Tate , but it’s time for him to get traded at this point

we aren’t good enough for his fit

we are prioritizing cam and amen’s development

get whatever we can and move him to a winning team

Hui and ramotadab like this.
  10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I agree, but I also don't think we're looking to add more young guys to one of the youngest teams in the league.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Why would the Rockets not want a late FRP? The Rockets are hamstrung in trades because the Rockets assets are either too good (or not plentiful enough) to trade for less than a star or not enough to get a player that fits without taking on salary.

Corrosion likes this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd say that there are always role players available in the late 1st round and second, but the problem is knowing who those players are. Sometimes people say a draft sucks because there is no generational talent. Sometimes it sucks because there is a lot of uncertainty on who the players will be coming out of a draft that aren't top picks. I'd say this upcoming draft looks like it has a both issues. Lack of top talent, but also it being tough to identify who are the likely NBA players later in the draft.

13. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Lottery pick lined up? From which team?

Actually scratch that. Who gives an F from which team. A lottery pick is a lottery pick. Make it happen already!

ramotadab likes this.
  14. R=$

R=$ Member

Houston Rockets Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: +6.3 ppg, +1.5 rpg, and +2.2 apg.
    Incoming Players
    [​IMG] Payton Pritchard
    26 year old, 6-1, 195 lb PG from Oregon
    7.8 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 2.9 apg in 21.0 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Luke Kornet
    28 year old, 7-1, 250 lb F from Vanderbilt
    5.3 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.9 apg in 15.1 minutes in 2023-2024
    Outgoing Players
    [​IMG] Jae'sean Tate
    28 year old, 6-4, 230 lb F from Ohio State
    4.6 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.1 apg in 18.2 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Boban Marjanovic
    35 year old, 7-4, 290 lb C from KK Vrsac Swisslion (Serbia)
    2.1 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 0.5 apg in 5.5 minutes in 2023-2024

15. Nook

Nook Member

Woj: The Houston Rockets have traded Jae'Sean Tate to the Suns for a 2024 first round draft pick that is protected 1-30 in the draft. If it doesn't convey in 2024, it turns in to a second rounder in 2025."

[​IMG]

Fertitta: "It was important for us to get a first round pick for Jason Tate, and Rafa El did just that.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Hence why the more chances you get, the more likely you hit on someone. Even if it's just a 20% chance, if you don't have that pick it's a 0% chance you get a young, rotation player for cheap.

The Rockets have less depth than you think. 6 youngsters + Brooks/FVV essentially. And FVV is leaving after next year or too old to be a major piece. Even if we assume all 6 of our young core can be rotation players (unlikely) that's still just 7 players going forward, plus a likely rotation player in the Nets pick. If we trade some of them for a star that's even fewer guys going forward. The Rockets aren't actually that deep going forward, mostly due to Christopher/Garuba/TyTy all failing and none of our 2-way guys grew enough to be long term pieces.

ramotadab likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I suspect heavily that Tate will be traded when nobody expects it.....opposed to when everyone is after him with pitchforks.

ramotadab likes this.
  18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I mean that would be not maximizing his value no ?

right now , Tate’s minutes have decreased significantly

I want him playing more for us as I believe he is a positive contributor. Most of the stats actually back that up . But , for whatever reason , he’s not getting the burn

at this point it doesn’t look like he’s in our plans going forward . We don’t really have time / ability to “pump” his trade value .

I can only see it going down .

maybe more teams enter bidding for him .

the truth . Tate is a good player .
    The truth , for the 4th year in a row we are prioritizing development over wins .

move him to a team that cares about winning .

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not disagree but I am helpless with Stone here....

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Probably cause he can't shoot... on a team that's not good at shooting. Suns and Celtics are all great shooting teams and can absorb a non-shooter like Tate. The Rockets honestly just can't.