1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Celtics emerge as serious suitor for Lee, Rockets open to sign&trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jul 8, 2012.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not if we have to take back salary. Courtney Lee will probably want to get 5m or more. If we have to take on the other team's scrubs, it's the equivalent of paying roughly 5m for a 2nd round pick. The Rockets won't do it for a marginal piece like that if we have to take back guaranteed salary.

2. Ashes

Ashes Member

This. Thank you. Seriously, seeing people suggesting Bradley and a 1st when just Bradley alone is worth more than Lee? Come on now.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

what incentive do the Celtics have to do a sign-and-trade if we won't take back a bad contract?

4. Margrave

Margrave Member

I think they can not offer the money that Lee is looking for without clearing off some cap space - so they have to do a S&T to get him, or else he goes elsewhere for more $$$.

That is how I understand it, though one of the capologists like Bima or Carl would probably better be able to explain it.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

To get Courtney Lee.

6. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

None.

KG $11M
    Green close to $10M I've seen, although I have a hard time believing the Celtics are that dumb
    Bass ??? Probably in the $4-6M range
    Terry MLE

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Green contract really shocks me. He must have photos of Paul Piercce doing dirty things.

8. diehardNFFL

diehardNFFL Member

Either that, or Danny Ainge has become a complete idiot since 2008 (letting James Posey go and then turning around and using the money saved to sign Rasheed Wallace, trading Eddie House for Nate Robinson, trading Kendrick Perkins for Jeff Green and then attempting to justify the trade by giving Jeff Green 8 million dollars a year for five years, not trading Rajon Rondo or Ray Allen once it became apparent they were no longer on speaking terms, not trading Paul Pierce when it became apparent the Celtics were not going to be able to beat the Heat in the playoffs, and granting the Bulls permission to interview Tom Thibodeau in the middle of the 2010 playoff run).

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Danny Ainge was always a bad GM. Look at the talk about him pre-KG trade. He was a laughingstock and everyone thought he was going to get fired. Then KG and Ray Allen fall into his lap and he wins a title and suddenly he is a great GM and Doc is a great coach.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don't want players. Get picks and Trade exemptions.

11. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

who in the hell are the celtics gonna give us? greg steisma and leon powe's soul?

12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Steisma is an unrestricted FA as noted in about 10 different places in this thread.

13. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

Uh, he did draft that Rondo kid when a most other teams took a pass. Bradley has also turned into a nice late round pick at PG. Bass was an upgrade over Big Baby. And, as much as McHale kinda hooked him up, I don't think you can say Allen and KG fell into his lap. Also, Doc is a legit coach, too.

14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I'm an ass - he's restricted. My bad.

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I don't see how Boston could work a sign & trade here without giving up something they value in another title run. I guess it depends on whether they are over or under the salary cap - seem that they would be over but it's possible they are just under it.

...seems like Avery Bradley would be a decent trade target for Morey. Despite the recurring theme here about Bradley being more valuable than Lee, you must remember the guy had surgery in the playoffs on one shoulder...and then had surgery after the playoffs on the other shoulder. That tempers his value just a bit. A young, quick, gritty defensive combo guard who is a little undersized at the 2, can't really shoot, and just came off two shoulder surgeries vs a young SG, decent 3 pt shooter, good cutter, and decent defender on a reasonable contract. Celts have a window seriously of one year. If you ask me, Lee is more valuable to them in that one year playing with Rondo then Avery Bradley is.

16. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

20/20 hindsight. I like that we gave it a chance. As much as I want to be the dominant team, I don't mind being the underdog. I like that our organization pushed to try to chug along with or without a star.

17. AB83Rules

AB83Rules Member

Scola and Martin need to be traded for Dwight in order to match up salaries.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Rockets have cap space if Chi or NY matches.

19. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

I think people are under valuing Lee. He's an above average defender, athletic, team player, solid shooter and still young.

Lee>Bradley

Fab Melo is intriguing but the Celtics wouldn't want to be willing to part ways with there young seven foot center.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

He's 6-11, Leuer is 6-11 too.